Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive mode throttle response question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Drive mode throttle response question.

I've always understood Sport+ to have the most sensitive throttle response of the modes. Recently I noticed that when I switch from
my individual setting (for which I have sport and sport+ deselected), to sport+ the throttle response dulls. Evidenced by consistent gentle throttle surging, or lessening while turning the ****. Why would individual mode set to normal have a more responsive throttle than sport+?
Old 07-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps because a less responsive throttle provides finer control when using the throttle to balance the car during spirited driving.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 297 Posts

If so that's awesome and a departure from how sport+ functioned on previous models. From my experience it typically creates a condition of less travel required for the given input, which has always felt less precise and overly sensitive to me. That's why this is surprising.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 459 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Perhaps because a less responsive throttle provides finer control when using the throttle to balance the car during spirited driving.
+1
On my old E90 M3 I had a Dinan tune. It did indeed slow the throttle response for this very reason.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
+1
On my old E90 M3 I had a Dinan tune. It did indeed slow the throttle response for this very reason.
My S54 equipped Z4M is almost undriveable in “sport” mode at times. Individual throttle bodies and sensitive throttle...gives the engine character but works against you when you need to make finer adjustments. I imagine PDK makes it easier but if your throttle input is like a manic hooligan your shifts are going to be ill timed heel toe braking imprecise or too difficult. Porsche and the 991.1 taught me that progressive inputs on throttle and braking are much more important for precision driving (track) but does sort of take away that “wants to run away from you” race car feeling on normal average straight or windy roads especially with a manual trans.

Quick Reply: Drive mode throttle response question.