Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

Thank you all, this is very reassuring.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
Thank you all, this is very reassuring.
I can assure you that you will love it and have zero regrets.
The following users liked this post:
goldduster (07-07-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:29 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I just bought a 2019 (with under 1600 miles sticker was over 20K more that the black car in VA) Targa 4S, my 45th Porsche. My first was a White Targa (five decades ago), it took my dealer less than two days to find me the car. If you like I can put you in touch with them. They will find you what you want. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:58 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

I think I found the one I want but is a 991.1 Targa 4 GTS instead of a 991.2 Targa 4S. Not sure how much slower it will be.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:17 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Surely you’re joking. Right?

Biggest difference between the .1 and .2 Targa is the engine. NA versus twin turbo. Plenty of threads on RL debating the merits of each.

I have no idea what the top speed is on my car, but I’m confident I can get in trouble at 1/2 of whatever it is.

DaveGee
Old 07-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I think I found the one I want but is a 991.1 Targa 4 GTS instead of a 991.2 Targa 4S. Not sure how much slower it will be.
The .2 may feel a bit quicker since it has more torque down low but they are very close so don't let that deter you. You should drive a .1 and .2 though so you are sure which one you want.
goldduster (07-23-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 931 Posts

I test drove a 991.1 4.
Hard pass.
Targa is heavy and I felt that engine was not up to the task, didn't feel sporty.
Needsdecaf (07-23-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:29 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Surely you’re joking. Right?

Biggest difference between the .1 and .2 Targa is the engine. NA versus twin turbo. Plenty of threads on RL debating the merits of each.

I have no idea what the top speed is on my car, but I’m confident I can get in trouble at 1/2 of whatever it is.

DaveGee
Yes I am serious, I have looked at specs and reviews of both and the 991.1 Targa 4S seems to be over 4 seconds to 60 and the 991.2 seems to shave more than .2 off. Neither is slow. The 991.1 will be faster than my Boxster 2.0t so neither is an issue. Just looking for additional perspectives is all.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:12 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

A base model can get you in trouble. LOL
Old 07-10-2020, 03:19 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dd356
A base model can get you in trouble. LOL
So can a Corolla.
goldduster (07-23-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 04:37 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Yes I am serious, I have looked at specs and reviews of both and the 991.1 Targa 4S seems to be over 4 seconds to 60 and the 991.2 seems to shave more than .2 off. Neither is slow. The 991.1 will be faster than my Boxster 2.0t so neither is an issue. Just looking for additional perspectives is all.
OK, so you’re talking about 0-60 and not top speed. Got it.

I’ve owned a 991.1 and currently a 991.2. Both with GTS engines. For sure the 991.2 is appreciably faster off the line and to 60mph owing to the increased torque that comes with a turbocharged engine. YMMV.

DaveGee
Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
OK, so you’re talking about 0-60 and not top speed. Got it.

I’ve owned a 991.1 and currently a 991.2. Both with GTS engines. For sure the 991.2 is appreciably faster off the line and to 60mph owing to the increased torque that comes with a turbocharged engine. YMMV.

DaveGee
991.2 is also a quick tune away to 500-600hp!
991.1 not so much
Old 07-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my 991.1 Targa GTS.... I did see an Orange Targa last week....looked pretty clean.....but I could not own that for more than a few years...... No real issues on the Targa Top........ I had 1989 Turbo Cab since 1988, ...andI like the TARGA experience much more than the Cab!!!
Old 07-23-2020, 05:02 PM
DCnorskie
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Happy 2017 Targa 4s owner

Hi there,

I don't post a lot, but since I have a black 2017 Targa 4S, and I have got so much useful info from here... I absolutely love it. It handles fantastically, of course, accelerates quickly and has more than enough top speed outside the track. It also has a very distinctive look, quite unlike any other convertible. I have no issues with the sound from putting away the top. Given how often you'll hear that sound vs the rest of the audible driving experience, I wouldn't care too much.

Some minor issues, that would not keep me from buying:
  • Driving with the top up, you can really hear the spooling of the turbos. Some people can't stand it, but the payback is rapid acceleration through the entire power band. (The sound from the outside is not really noticeable over the engine roar, of course.)
  • As with any convertible, there are, or will be, audible creaky or rattly sounds when driving with the top up and stereo off. Some people can't hear them, others can.
  • Front passenger seat hinge covers have been cracking, allegedly because the bolt beneath was jutting out too far. This is a tiny matter, but those plastic hinge covers are just over $100. It is apparently not specific to the Targa.
  • Another non-Targa specific issue is that you can have the airbag warning light come on for various reasons, without it being a true issue. A lot of people seem to run into this when doing cosmetic jobs on the outside, but it just happened to me today, as I got it back from scheduled service. I'm confident they will fix it for free, but it's another trip to the dealer.
  • Yet another non-Targa specific issue with the 991s is that some have a flaw in the cooling system that will cause your radiator to overheat. I believe mine was leaking fluid, and I fixed issue by topping it up several times before taking it in. Dealer said something about it being a recall, but I never got any details. Fixed under warranty anyway (but I was never contacted about any recall prior to taking it in).
  • I didn't get the audio upgrade, and wish I did. That said, the base version is eons better than anything else I've tried off the rack (and the upgrade price is steep), but can you really put a price on blasting your favorite music at maximum quality?
  • The back seats are great if you have kids younger than 10, after which you wonder why they didn't just make a Spyder or a larger trunk.
These are all my minor issues, and in looking at my list, they seem trivial compared with the immense joy I have from driving my baby. And as if to make me even happier about it, my dealer offered to take it off my hands last year around August for 15% off list. Tough choice as that seemed like a good reason to just get a new one , but I couldn't do it.

c1pher (08-09-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 05:23 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by DCnorskie
Hi there,

I don't post a lot, but since I have a black 2017 Targa 4S, and I have got so much useful info from here... I absolutely love it. It handles fantastically, of course, accelerates quickly and has more than enough top speed outside the track. It also has a very distinctive look, quite unlike any other convertible. I have no issues with the sound from putting away the top. Given how often you'll hear that sound vs the rest of the audible driving experience, I wouldn't care too much.

Some minor issues, that would not keep me from buying:
  • Driving with the top up, you can really hear the spooling of the turbos. Some people can't stand it, but the payback is rapid acceleration through the entire power band. (The sound from the outside is not really noticeable over the engine roar, of course.)
  • As with any convertible, there are, or will be, audible creaky or rattly sounds when driving with the top up and stereo off. Some people can't hear them, others can.
  • Front passenger seat hinge covers have been cracking, allegedly because the bolt beneath was jutting out too far. This is a tiny matter, but those plastic hinge covers are just over $100. It is apparently not specific to the Targa.
  • Another non-Targa specific issue is that you can have the airbag warning light come on for various reasons, without it being a true issue. A lot of people seem to run into this when doing cosmetic jobs on the outside, but it just happened to me today, as I got it back from scheduled service. I'm confident they will fix it for free, but it's another trip to the dealer.
  • Yet another non-Targa specific issue with the 991s is that some have a flaw in the cooling system that will cause your radiator to overheat. I believe mine was leaking fluid, and I fixed issue by topping it up several times before taking it in. Dealer said something about it being a recall, but I never got any details. Fixed under warranty anyway (but I was never contacted about any recall prior to taking it in).
  • I didn't get the audio upgrade, and wish I did. That said, the base version is eons better than anything else I've tried off the rack (and the upgrade price is steep), but can you really put a price on blasting your favorite music at maximum quality?
  • The back seats are great if you have kids younger than 10, after which you wonder why they didn't just make a Spyder or a larger trunk.
These are all my minor issues, and in looking at my list, they seem trivial compared with the immense joy I have from driving my baby. And as if to make me even happier about it, my dealer offered to take it off my hands last year around August for 15% off list. Tough choice as that seemed like a good reason to just get a new one , but I couldn't do it.
Great Read!

I am a happy (HAPPIER) Targa owner and this is why:

Spooling of the Turbos - Not an issue (991.1)
Sounds - no creaks in mine (or I can't hear them....)
Seat Hinge Covers - just fine
Airbag Warning Light - haven't had an issue yet in 30K + miles
Cooling System - Haven't had an issue - I believe this is a 991.2 specific so I should be good going forward as well
Audio Upgrade - I have Burmester so good there too!
Back Seats - Never had kids so not issue

LOVE MY TARGA 4S - No regrets or issues !!!

Quick Reply: Targa Issues?