Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Pro-tune/APR tune Dragy results

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020 | 11:44 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by fsmich
The APR is a lot easier to put the power down in 1st and 2nd, straight or more importantly to me, in a turn. I'm hoping to get to the track before my 30 day return window closes, to compare.
FWIW try some SoCal 405 traffic too. The APR tune is a dream to drive.

The multiple launch anomaly you are reporting is more than likely the protections that are built into the APR programing. Could be PDK temperature, could be IAT but that is only speculation on my part. It would take data logging to actually confirm.
The following users liked this post:
fsmich (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020 | 01:06 AM
polobai
Drifting

Any chance you have a dyno run with the Cobb protune and can try another with the apr? Curious to see how the curves stack up against each other at different points in the graph.
Old 06-25-2020 | 01:17 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
"I did have an issue with the APR tune doing multiple launches (about 8 in a row The 4th thru 6th shut down the power right after launch, including w/ PSM off."

Can you elaborate on this?

I was unaware of the x51 kit, but there is a HP/TQ level ( I dont know what it is) Where the flutter occurs. Maybe that extra 20hp is the tipping point?
I also have a 4 wheel drive to your 2 wheel drive. I have always felt that had something to do with these issues..
The power was completely shut off when I would let go of the brake, short delay, then power came back. You can see it on the 3.84 dragy.
I have the flutter on the cobb 93 pro- tune just like you, so I don't run it.
Old 06-25-2020 | 01:25 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Any chance you have a dyno run with the Cobb protune and can try another with the apr? Curious to see how the curves stack up against each other at different points in the graph.
I am not going to dyno the APR, I think the dragy numbers are a better comparison. The Cobb tq peaks at 3000, APR at 3700.
Old 06-25-2020 | 07:21 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

How is it possible that a pro tune from Cobb peaks TQ at 3000 but an OTS map from APR has peak TQ at 3700?
Old 06-25-2020 | 08:36 AM
911CSC
Pro

I am not going to dyno the APR, I think the dragy numbers are a better comparison. The Cobb tq peaks at 3000, APR at 3700.
I would like to know the cost and time it took to install both tunes

Final end cost of APR installed?

Final end cost Cobb unit with Pro-tune?

I feel it's one topic no one talks about when comparing both, pricing should be considered as I'm sure there's a big difference between a flash and putting a car on a dyno with the extra cost of the Cobb unit

Old 06-25-2020 | 11:21 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911CSC
I would like to know the cost and time it took to install both tunes

Final end cost of APR installed?

Final end cost Cobb unit with Pro-tune?

I feel it's one topic no one talks about when comparing both, pricing should be considered as I'm sure there's a big difference between a flash and putting a car on a dyno with the extra cost of the Cobb unit
APR is installed at their dealer at the website price plus tax. $1615 for me. That dealer sets his own price for later removal/reinstall. Mine charges $25 each.
Cobb you buy the AP, new or used. Pro-tuner sets his own price for his work, mine was $800. If you dyno tune, the shop charges by the hour. I did 3 different maps, which took 3 hours on the dyno @150/hr.
Old 06-25-2020 | 01:11 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

APR is installed at their dealer at the website price plus tax. $1615 for me. That dealer sets his own price for later removal/reinstall. Mine charges $25 each.
Cobb you buy the AP, new or used. Pro-tuner sets his own price for his work, mine was $800. If you dyno tune, the shop charges by the hour. I did 3 different maps, which took 3 hours on the dyno @150/hr.
With the current state of things, the advantage of the COBB is the ability to have the multiple maps. And the ability to change at your convenience. As for APR, their OTS tune is fantastic. COBBS current OTS tunes can't compare. But as fsmich alluded to, the OTS map is not optimized for his mix of parts. And it has a different driveablilty built-in. If you like it, then great. If you want a different 'feel', then it can be done with a COBB Pro-tune. And the pops/crackles, etc.
Old 06-25-2020 | 01:15 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
How is it possible that a pro tune from Cobb peaks TQ at 3000 but an OTS map from APR has peak TQ at 3700?
That's purely a calibration choice. Tyler at APR decided to bring in the torque softer and later to achieve the 'feel' and drive-ability he wanted. Which makes sense for many/most of your everyday Porsche driver who may not have very good throttle modulation control. So for everyday driving, it would be less sensitive/jerky where you're driving around in the 2000-3000rpm range. If you're past 3700rpm, you're probably WOT already and intending to go fast.
Old 06-25-2020 | 02:28 PM
polobai
Drifting

Makes perfect sense-can you share your mods and power the car made on the Cobb Pro-Tune if you dyno'd it?
Old 06-25-2020 | 02:36 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by polobai
Makes perfect sense-can you share your mods and power the car made on the Cobb Pro-Tune if you dyno'd it?
I'll help
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1198...l#post16714037

Old 06-25-2020 | 02:36 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
That's purely a calibration choice. Tyler at APR decided to bring in the torque softer and later to achieve the 'feel' and drive-ability he wanted. Which makes sense for many/most of your everyday Porsche driver who may not have very good throttle modulation control. So for everyday driving, it would be less sensitive/jerky where you're driving around in the 2000-3000rpm range. If you're past 3700rpm, you're probably WOT already and intending to go fast.
Hmmmm. Sounds like he brought the torque in slower to avoid the torque limit tables and flutter issue. If that us the case, he hasn’t fixed the problem, he nuttered the car to avoid it.

We want to turn the power up, not back it off.
Old 06-25-2020 | 02:41 PM
polobai
Drifting

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2020 | 02:44 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hmmmm. Sounds like he brought the torque in slower to avoid the torque limit tables and flutter issue. If that us the case, he hasn’t fixed the problem, he nuttered the car to avoid it.

We want to turn the power up, not back it off.
Mmm.... not necessarily. I do think the relative softness in the lower rpm range helps the majority of drivers. I was helping instruct a bit with a driving simulator a while back and the car loaded up was a Radical with no electronic aids. More than half the people looped it before even getting out of pit lane. One guy confided to me that his street car had 500hp. I think he looped it 3x before finally getting off pit lane. This does bring us back to the other discussion on track use with traction control
Old 06-25-2020 | 02:53 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Mmm.... not necessarily. I do think the relative softness in the lower rpm range helps the majority of drivers. I was helping instruct a bit with a driving simulator a while back and the car loaded up was a Radical with no electronic aids. More than half the people looped it before even getting out of pit lane. One guy confided to me that his street car had 500hp. I think he looped it 3x before finally getting off pit lane. This does bring us back to the other discussion on track use with traction control
Something to consider. My car only intermittently has the issue. Its usually when its very cold and early. So there seems to be two factors. One, the car makes more power in the cold morning before the day heats up.

Two, adaption. When driving street all the time, the car adapts and smooths out.

At track, WOT all the time, it adapts. So it seems to feel like, if the torque is ramped up, mashing the throttle when you first go out, i get the issue. But after the first session, it doesn’t seem to do it. Its as if in the earlier session, you took the ECU by surprise. Whereas once it adapted that your st the track, it expected you to floor it. So it seems to be sudden sharp changes in driving style, brings it out.

Quick Reply: Cobb Pro-tune/APR tune Dragy results