Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Tail Lights and Rear Bumper on a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 08:26 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Man you guys are badass. Nice F'n job! This is awesome! I love the look!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:28 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewgldn
Alright guys, here's the final product. A few notes:

- Ended up painting the heat shield black and then using some wire mesh from amazon that I painted satin black to cover the two side vents
- I think due to either my Techart spoiler or the bumper I sourced actually being a GTS there was a center gap. Instead of adding the center/3rd tail light (would have been too many with the one already in the spoiler) I trimmed that out with the same mesh as the side vents. I think this turned out well, provides a unique and agressive look, and ties everything together nicely.
- The tail lights are factory smoked units. Wanted to dial down the red so it wouldn't compete with the custom Miami Blue brake calipers and seat belts I added to the car

Love this! The mesh gap is very cool - must've taken some patience and artistic ability to make the fit and finish perfect like that! Nice job.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:43 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
Man you guys are badass. Nice F'n job! This is awesome! I love the look!
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. If you like the car, hop over to my Instagram or YouTube channels for more on the build. @nineelevensouth on Instagram or www.youtube.com/nineelevensouth
The following 2 users liked this post by andrewgldn:
hyp991 (12-04-2020), jimwood (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 08:47 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimwood
Love this! The mesh gap is very cool - must've taken some patience and artistic ability to make the fit and finish perfect like that! Nice job.
Thanks. It was a little tricky but I love the challenge of fabricating things like that
Old 12-04-2020, 12:14 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewgldn
Alright guys, here's the final product. A few notes:

- Ended up painting the heat shield black and then using some wire mesh from amazon that I painted satin black to cover the two side vents
- I think due to either my Techart spoiler or the bumper I sourced actually being a GTS there was a center gap. Instead of adding the center/3rd tail light (would have been too many with the one already in the spoiler) I trimmed that out with the same mesh as the side vents. I think this turned out well, provides a unique and agressive look, and ties everything together nicely.
- The tail lights are factory smoked units. Wanted to dial down the red so it wouldn't compete with the custom Miami Blue brake calipers and seat belts I added to the car
WOW that came out awesome looking with the center mesh! Question though - in the previous posts when you were test fitting the silver bumper, it looked like a regular .2 C2/C2S bumper (no center light strip space)... but in the finished shots you mention that it was a GTS bumper which has that center light strip space hence the mesh. The GTS bumper fits easy on the C2S? I thought the GTS were widebody. If it fits thats awesome! I want one too lol
Old 12-04-2020, 01:56 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
WOW that came out awesome looking with the center mesh! Question though - in the previous posts when you were test fitting the silver bumper, it looked like a regular .2 C2/C2S bumper (no center light strip space)... but in the finished shots you mention that it was a GTS bumper which has that center light strip space hence the mesh. The GTS bumper fits easy on the C2S? I thought the GTS were widebody. If it fits thats awesome! I want one too lol
Thanks! So I probably didn't explain enough here. The silver bumper that I test fit did not have this gap. But, when I went to have it painted it was covered in bondo and had a TON of hidden, undisclosed damage. So, I had to return that one and get another. The other was advertised on EBay as a 991.2 Carrera S bumper. But, it has this gap... My understanding was the same as yours, that the GTS/4S bumpers were much wider and would not have fit. But this one was the correct width for my C2S. So, I'm a little stumped on this and maybe another member can help. Regardless, I love the gap once I figured out how to address it. Makes it look even more unique and ties the side vents in very nicely.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 04:12 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

991.2 rear bumpers fit and don’t have the rear slit for the light. You got a 4S bumper. Sometimes companies make mistakes on eBay.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:16 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
991.2 rear bumpers fit and don’t have the rear slit for the light. You got a 4S bumper. Sometimes companies make mistakes on eBay.
This. The difference is under two inches of width (I think 1.7?) - there have been other threads on here with NBs successfully going to WB bumpers. The hardest part is wiring the center light but since you took care of that nothing to worry about . Looks great!
edirtaynine (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 06:11 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
This. The difference is under two inches of width (I think 1.7?) - there have been other threads on here with NBs successfully going to WB bumpers. The hardest part is wiring the center light but since you took care of that nothing to worry about . Looks great!
Originally Posted by 97supratt
Nice. Thanks for the clarifications guys.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:01 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
oh wow didnt know the widebody bumpers can fit our nb's. ive seen the thread about adding the center light on GTS models that had the grille thing, but dont remember going on nb's. i just thought maybe the mounting points would be slightly different between wb's and nb's and there would be a slight flex/curve. good to know its been done tho! ill have to look up those threads again lol
andrewgldn (12-05-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 03:07 AM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait, how does a wide body bumper fit a narrow body? The bumper goes edge to edge.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:14 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
Wait, how does a wide body bumper fit a narrow body? The bumper goes edge to edge.
^^^^yeah, this....

I purchased a rear turbo bumper for my 997 and the bumper width was totally different. I was able to get the bumper to fit (with some trimming), but it still didn't sit exactly right.
It seems that this would be similar with the 991, but looking at all the pics I don't see an obvious fitment issue.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:53 AM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
so after this thread i did some more research yesterday and it looks like u can fit a wb rear bumper on a nb. its not 100% fitment, but imo looks 99%. theres a super tiny curve when you push in the corners to fit and it flexes ever so slightly. but if youre not looking for it, its nearly imperceptible imo. maybe the 997 has a bigger differences in wb/nb bumper fitment?
The following 2 users liked this post by edirtaynine:
jesm (12-10-2020), polobai (12-08-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:57 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey Guys, I'm also in the process of doing this upgrade. I just bought a 991.2 bumper but it didn't come with the retaining clips/guides on the back. Did you guys use your old one from a 991.1 or did you use a new one? If i could save my self $250 and not order new ones that would be awesome. I'm attaching pics of the piece i'm missing. Thanks!

Last edited by JuanK20; 12-31-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:00 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Originally Posted by JuanK20
Hey Guys, I'm also in the process of doing this upgrade. I just bought a 991.2 bumper but it didn't come with the retaining clips/guides on the back. Did you guys use your old one from a 991.1 or did you use a new one? If i could save my self $250 and not order new ones that would be awesome. I'm attaching pics of the piece i'm missing. Thanks!
Mine did not have them and I didn’t use any at all. The tail lights cover this piece anyway and when the lights are bolted in, they’re plenty tight in the opening.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Tail Lights and Rear Bumper on a 991.1