Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 02:45 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Advice on Purchase

Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've read up quite a bit from this forum but first time signing up and posting. I'm hoping for some advice prior to my first Porsche purchase (technically my second, but that's a whole other thread).

In looking for a CPO low mileage 2016-2019 GTS or 4 GTS with a manual transmission, I've found my options to be limited. I have found a couple viable cars, each seems to have it's own issues with some being minor and some deal breakers. One of the cars I'm looking at was definitely tracked (although doesn't seem to have been tracked hard) and I'd like some advice. I'm also open to advice on finding more available options (leads) or general advice for someone making their first purchase of a used car and what to look for.

Here are the details of the current example I'm looking at: 2019 911 GTS with 5,500 miles, the car was ordered from an out of state dealer and picked up with the Porsche Experience Center Delivery in LA. The owner then had the entire car wrapped in Expel and has tracked the car. The rev report, see below, looks pretty tame for a car that has been tracked, although I wish it didn't have the range 3 over revs even though they are few and happened a couple thousand miles ago. The previous owner had the rear brakes replaced in November (including the rotors) and the dealership is in the process of doing the same to the front brakes. That definitely makes me feel better about parts that may have seen additional wear from track driving, is there anything else I should be concerned about or look for? It doesn't seem like the owner was hard on the car given the revs. Open to hear thoughts and advice! Thank you.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Rev report is clean. Nothing to worry about.
The following 2 users liked this post by Balr14:
scr1244 (06-09-2020), TheLeftSchuh (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:29 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

not sure where you live or how much you want to spend but this car is in great shape:

https://www.porschesouthorlando.com/...AB2A92KS115438
The following users liked this post:
TheLeftSchuh (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:28 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by omaralt
not sure where you live or how much you want to spend but this car is in great shape:

https://www.porschesouthorlando.com/...AB2A92KS115438
Funny you mention that one, as it's one of the three I'm seriously considering. It's a PCNA Marketing Car which I feared meant that it was rode hard by press members, but the rev report on that one is zeros across the board so now I assume some exec drove it. The only issue is some damage to the front chin that just barely spreads into the paint:

The picture shows the underside is clean but the price of the car doesn't reflect the need to address a paint issue in my book. I would believe that even without the blemish the price drop should be closer to 20% off sticker, wouldn't you think?

I'm thinking about to make an offer at 20% off sticker ($162k) at $130k if they will fix the issue prior to shipping. I'm in Oregon so it's about as far away as it gets and there's no way I'm headed there to see it in person.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:43 PM
omaralt
Racer

Originally Posted by TheLeftSchuh
Funny you mention that one, as it's one of the three I'm seriously considering. It's a PCNA Marketing Car which I feared meant that it was rode hard by press members, but the rev report on that one is zeros across the board so now I assume some exec drove it. The only issue is some damage to the front chin that just barely spreads into the paint:

The picture shows the underside is clean but the price of the car doesn't reflect the need to address a paint issue in my book. I would believe that even without the blemish the price drop should be closer to 20% off sticker, wouldn't you think?

I'm thinking about to make an offer at 20% off sticker ($162k) at $130k if they will fix the issue prior to shipping. I'm in Oregon so it's about as far away as it gets and there's no way I'm headed there to see it in person.

i would think $130k is a fair offer with them fixing the car. my issue with the car is the carbon ceramics; i'm dailying my car and those seem like a headache to deal with on a daily basis
Old 06-09-2020, 04:50 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

i would think $130k is a fair offer with them fixing the car. my issue with the car is the carbon ceramics; i'm dailying my car and those seem like a headache to deal with on a daily basis
Why would the PCCBs be a headache? I have them in my DD and I think they are the greatest. Awesome stopping power without being too grabby and no dust.

What’s not to like?
Jeahbladejeah (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:52 PM
omaralt
Racer

Originally Posted by shammerman
Why would the PCCBs be a headache? I have them in my DD and I think they are the greatest. Awesome stopping power without being too grabby and no dust.

What’s not to like!
maybe porsche is different; but in my experience with BMWs CC is that they squeak a lot and are dangerous in the rain.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:56 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

maybe porsche is different; but in my experience with BMWs CC is that they squeak a lot and are dangerous in the rain.
Absolutely non of that.
The following 3 users liked this post by shammerman:
AlexCeres (06-10-2020), Jeahbladejeah (06-11-2020), TheLeftSchuh (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:57 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Interesting. My understanding is that they are less likely to squeal since there is no rusting like with steel rotors in the rain (plenty of that here in the PNW), and less brake dust is a huge plus in my book. I'd not heard any negative comments about performance in the rain, I'll have to look into that.

Two of the three I'm considering have the PCCB and the third does not.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:57 PM
omaralt
Racer

Originally Posted by shammerman
Absolutely non of that.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-weather.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ke-squeal.html

many people have those issues; CC are really not made for daily use; mostly track
Old 06-09-2020, 04:59 PM
omaralt
Racer

Interesting. My understanding is that they are less likely to squeal since there is no rusting like with steel rotors in the rain (plenty of that here in the PNW), and less brake dust is a huge plus in my book. I'd not heard any negative comments about performance in the rain, I'll have to look into that.

Two of the three I'm considering have the PCCB and the third does not.
ya do a google search; but you'll see that its not a isolated issue
Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

I can't believe they wouldn't have fixed the paint before trying to sell it.
m5biemer (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 05:41 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I can't believe they wouldn't have fixed the paint before trying to sell it.
Couldn't agree more, and the Salesperson seems confused that I would want it addressed. Crazy. All the while talking about how "perfect" the car is. I've made the offer of $130k, title/registration not included, and asked for them to cover the enclosed shipping cost to Oregon. Will see what happens.

If not, the other two options are both Miami Blue. Not quite the same understated look of the Chalk against black accents, but beautiful in a different way.

Back to the original questions. Any opinions on what to look for in buying an out of state Porsche and how to view the existence of stage 3 over revs on a GTS?
Old 06-09-2020, 05:52 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Couldn't agree more, and the Salesperson seems confused that I would want it addressed. Crazy. All the while talking about how "perfect" the car is. I've made the offer of $130k, title/registration not included, and asked for them to cover the enclosed shipping cost to Oregon. Will see what happens.

If not, the other two options are both Miami Blue. Not quite the same understated look of the Chalk against black accents, but beautiful in a different way.

Back to the original questions. Any opinions on what to look for in buying an out of state Porsche and how to view the existence of stage 3 over revs on a GTS?
I have bought a couple of cars out of state and it has worked out great. I had independent PPI conducted even when CPO (just a piece of mind, but had more miles and age than what you are looking for). The over revs in 3 are not an issue at all and while I was tempted to respond back on the PCCB comments I decided not to. However, I will add here that they are fantastic and after almost 30 K miles I could not be any happier with them I have never personally experienced reduced performance in the rain. However, after a car wash, the first time you break, you can feel that so I just tap the breaks and I am good to go.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:46 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Dunno if CPO is mandatory. If it isn't, we're getting ready to list our 2017 Night Blue Metallic GTS for sale. Getting ready to replace it with a new Targa 4 GTS. Ours was purchased new in 2018. Just under 8K miles. I'll get the Spousal Unit to PM you info, if you're interested. Or, you can contact him. He's @m5biemer .

Quick Reply: Advice on Purchase