Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a 13 911S shipped from Tampa to Vancouver, WA (across the river from Portland) in an enclosed trailer for around $1575 this past March. I used Montway transport. Car arrived in 1 week without a scratch.
The following users liked this post:
Baba Ghanoush (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 05:27 PM
globalflyer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this will help others in the future, but all of these shipping quotes can easily be "right". It is all supply and demand and for shipping, it is highly sensitive. The only way to compare one to another is if you are looking from the same origin to the same destination in the same time period with a similar type of carrier (large vs. small). Even then, it depends on how many other cars are on the same route to fill the truck. The freight market changes quickly so the price is highly dependent on when and even more dependent on from and to where. Most of the comparisons above are futile attempts since they seem to be across years and even months. The last one in March is the best since it is recent and a similar O-D pair but rates may have even slipped since then as the market has softened.

The market is down overall right now and I would guess that the enclosed car move is way down since car shows and auctions are not back yet. Hertz BK cars would be moved uncovered so don't see that impacting this yet either. Probably one of the best times in a while to move a car.

$1,500 ($0.50/mile) seems feasible in the current conditions on this route assuming the load factor is high (2 or more cars on the trailer at all times). But if you are the only car on the truck or this happens at another time, $2,500 ($0.83/mile) is easily possible. If you are the only car on the "trailer" for the whole route, $3,000+ will be possible. You can get a bit of a break on price as a dealer and may have a good connection to low price provider but the reduction is probably not as much as you think. Volume in these moves is just too low compared to general freight.

Unless you can find a recent comparison like Explorer16, ignore everything else and just get some quotes yourself and assume your dealer may get it 5-10% less..
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-13-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 12:53 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Based on what you've said, I feel like the Chalk is the one you are really hoping for. As to the paint, I get it, I'm OCD too. But I also try to remember that they are cars and unless they're never driven, something is bound to happen eventually. A rock chip, a small scratch, a ding. It's inevitable no matter how careful you are.
Touch it up, or take it to a good shop to be touched up. Chalk may be difficult, but not impossible for a good body shop.
Make an offer. All they can say is no, but it will get the ball rolling.
Otherwise, just wait. You've already said you don't care for Miami Blue.. Don't try to force it if you really don't care for it.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:32 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Based on what you've said, I feel like the Chalk is the one you are really hoping for. As to the paint, I get it, I'm OCD too. But I also try to remember that they are cars and unless they're never driven, something is bound to happen eventually. A rock chip, a small scratch, a ding. It's inevitable no matter how careful you are.
Touch it up, or take it to a good shop to be touched up. Chalk may be difficult, but not impossible for a good body shop.
Make an offer. All they can say is no, but it will get the ball rolling.
Otherwise, just wait. You've already said you don't care for Miami Blue.. Don't try to force it if you really don't care for it.
I think you and the few before that suggested the Chalk car are correct, aside from price and the flaw that car is closest to ideal for me. I submitted an offer on it right before they closed at 5pm EST, I'll know Monday whether they accept it or not.

But, just to clarify, I absolutely like Miami Blue. It's on my list of acceptable colors for this purchase, probably one of only 5 colors I'd want to own personally (even though the car looks good in every color). It's only on the list because I like it, especially with the yellow calipers of the PCCB. It is a color that feels more out of place in Portland, but that wouldn't stop me.

The flaws don't bother me quite as much when they're from me. What bothers me in this case is an asking price that indicates a near perfect car and damage that to me is a clear indicator of less than perfect body condition. That in combination with the dealer respsonding with a bit of disbelief that I'd want it fixed is what left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I've gotten over it at this point.

As far as shipping cost mentioned in some previous responses from others, turns out it's out of my hands, they have a policy that vehicles shipped out of state must be shipped using one of their approved shippers. I told them that wasn't an issue assuming the bid is competitive, I would rather have someone they can vouch for than a random company that answers a bid request.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:37 AM
SConn
Drifting

Good luck to you! And if you do end up with the car, Precision Auto Body In Beaverton is a Porsche certified body shop. And they are right down the road from Porsche Beaverton.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:31 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Good luck to you! And if you do end up with the car, Precision Auto Body In Beaverton is a Porsche certified body shop. And they are right down the road from Porsche Beaverton.
Appreciate it. Funny enough, this is my second attempt to purchase a Chalk 911 4 GTS... the first one shipped out of Porsche El Paso and arrived with undisclosed repairs/issues. I took it by Uptown Auto Detailing where the owner John recommended Precision as well. Estimate from them was over $5k to remedy the issue so that car went back to El Paso as a buyback last week. That was the short version of the story.

When I showed John this damage he actually recommended Autowerks NW over on Macadam by John's Landing. Said he's the best at blending small areas. If a smaller blending job doesn't look quite right I'll definitely go to Precision to repaint the panel. Are you local to the Portland area? (Saw the Washington location in your profile).
Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 PM
SConn
Drifting

I'm in southeastern Washington with no Porsche dealers within 2 1/2 hours of me. Was just at Porsche Beaverton for an airbag recall about 2 months ago. Nice dealership!

I'll keep in mind Autowerks NW for the future as well. Never know when you'll need a lip spoiler replaced! 🤣

P.S. Sorry about your luck! Kinda makes you feel deflated about something that should be exciting.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Smart to pass om the tracked

Car. Cars live dog years on the track. X7
Old 06-15-2020, 08:32 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Delete

Delete