Sponsored by:

Ceramic Brakes and Wet Weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 02:36 AM
infestation
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brakes and Wet Weather

This is just a note for those of you with ceramic brakes. Tonight, there were severe thunderstorms in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and it started to pour really hard when I was out in Fort Worth. After about ten minutes, I noticed my ability to brake had decreased significantly, which was rather frightening. Does anyone know anything about this? After it stopped raining and things dryed up the brakes were back to normal.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:30 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Strange, because one of the "certain" benefits of ceramics is that they do perform better in the wet than steel. I can only imagine, on a comparative basis, how much worse the steel would have been.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Never had a problem with my PCCB's when wet or cold.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:05 PM
infestation
Instructor

Okay.

Due to the excessive rain, there might just have been too much water for any brakes, not just the ceramics. I had to drive for a bit though to find a good place to pull over in safety out of the way of other drivers. In "normal" rain conditions, I haven't had any trouble though, so that is worth clarifying.

Austin
Old 10-21-2004, 09:11 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I noticed the same thing night before last; heavy rains in L.A., driving 10 minutes or so on freeway without using brakes, when I hit the brakes I was a little shocked at how little immediate grip there was. Now I feel like I need to make sure I keep them warm when driving in the rain.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 PM
infestation
Instructor

Glad to know I'm not the only one then.

It's not an issue that I'm concerned about. On the night in question though, it just wasn't something I was expecting.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:31 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

On MBZs with Sensotronic brakes, the pads are automatically lightly pushed against the rotors intermittantly while cruising in wet conditions to keep the brakes dry enough to maintain the ability to stop as quickly as possible if need be.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
On MBZs with Sensotronic brakes, the pads are automatically lightly pushed against the rotors intermittantly while cruising in wet conditions to keep the brakes dry enough to maintain the ability to stop as quickly as possible if need be.
I read about that too! Pretty sweet!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:39 PM
titleist1
Racer

For anyone with Pccb's, be careful when driving after washing car, i have now on 2 occasions after i washed car that braking was almost non existent immediately after wheels were washed , once was a hand wash and the other was a drive through laser wash. the brakes are great when dry but water can definitely affect these brakes if alot comes in contact.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brakes and Wet Weather