Sponsored by:

Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:26 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Please tell me the names of the people you have been working with, or PM them to me if you do not want to post it here. It appears we will be going Friday, just before a trip to Gatorland...chomp, chomp.
I'm dealing with Brian there, but in response to my offer of $130k, fixing the damage, and enclosed shipping to Portland they declined entirely with a counter of the original price of $139,863

I understand that I'm asking quite a bit, but it's not out of the realm of reasonable offers. The lack of a true counter on price is off-putting to me. I'll let you know if he reaches back out. Thank you again for the offer even if it doesn't work out.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:57 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 207 Posts

Chalk 991.2 GTS is da bomb! Seriously, I don't see a huge problem with this car. The front lip is a simple swap out and a good body shop can fix the paint chip at minimal cost, assuming there are no cracks (doesn't appear to be from the picture). If it's just a chip and you can live with it, you can just touch it up yourself. Heck, you can even go cheap and with a fine sand paper, you can remove the blemishes on the front lip. I guarantee you that you'll put many more scratches and scrapes on that front lip. I sand mine down and use a black marker to cover up some of the scratches. When it finally gets totally thrashed, I'll replace it-a simple DIY.
The previous owner definitely flogged the car for 5,500 miles but these cars are meant to be driven hard. Fortunately, you'll have new brakes on all four corners. I'd recommend a PPI. If you are comfortable with the price, buy it and if not, move on. Only you'll know if you got a good deal or not. Consider the price of the full car body wrap as well, which can be north of $5k in my neck of the woods.
The following users liked this post:
scr1244 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLeftSchuh
I'm dealing with Brian there, but in response to my offer of $130k, fixing the damage, and enclosed shipping to Portland they declined entirely with a counter of the original price of $139,863

I understand that I'm asking quite a bit, but it's not out of the realm of reasonable offers. The lack of a true counter on price is off-putting to me. I'll let you know if he reaches back out. Thank you again for the offer even if it doesn't work out.
Brian Cheney? Dealers commonly will do that on a real low ball offer since they think the offer made is not serious. If you want to PM me and tell me your bottom line I can talk to them when I look at the car - I already told them I am coming about Noon Friday. I consider myself an above average negotiator and I can assure you I will find out what their bottom line is, if you are serious of course.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:18 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Chalk 991.2 GTS is da bomb! Seriously, I don't see a huge problem with this car. The front lip is a simple swap out and a good body shop can fix the paint chip at minimal cost, assuming there are no cracks (doesn't appear to be from the picture). If it's just a chip and you can live with it, you can just touch it up yourself. Heck, you can even go cheap and with a fine sand paper, you can remove the blemishes on the front lip. I guarantee you that you'll put many more scratches and scrapes on that front lip. I sand mine down and use a black marker to cover up some of the scratches. When it finally gets totally thrashed, I'll replace it-a simple DIY.
The previous owner definitely flogged the car for 5,500 miles but these cars are meant to be driven hard. Fortunately, you'll have new brakes on all four corners. I'd recommend a PPI. If you are comfortable with the price, buy it and if not, move on. Only you'll know if you got a good deal or not. Consider the price of the full car body wrap as well, which can be north of $5k in my neck of the woods.
Unfortunately there are two cars discussed in this thread and you've described a mix of both. The one that has been tracked with all brakes replaced and full paint protection film is a Miami Blue version. The other that was suggested by a forum member is another I was already looking at in Florida that is Chalk. The Chalk version was not beat on, completely clean rev report even though it was a PCNA Marketing car, must have belonged to an exec and not a press test drive car. The Chalk has the damage and does not have paint protection film, but the dealer was non responsive to my offer.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:24 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Brian Cheney? Dealers commonly will do that on a real low ball offer since they think the offer made is not serious. If you want to PM me and tell me your bottom line I can talk to them when I look at the car - I already told them I am coming about Noon Friday. I consider myself an above average negotiator and I can assure you I will find out what their bottom line is, if you are serious of course.
Yes, Brian Cheney. I didn't think my offer was out of the question (except perhaps the request to have them cover the shipping cost). The original MSRP was $162k and their price of $139,863 is a 13.7% discount. For a demo car my experience is that a 20% discount is more appropriate. I'd love to get your thoughts on fair price as that is still a car that is high on my list.

Happy to connect by DM if that's a better way to discuss than here in the thread. I would welcome any input.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:54 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 207 Posts

Unfortunately there are two cars discussed in this thread and you've described a mix of both. The one that has been tracked with all brakes replaced and full paint protection film is a Miami Blue version. The other that was suggested by a forum member is another I was already looking at in Florida that is Chalk. The Chalk version was not beat on, completely clean rev report even though it was a PCNA Marketing car, must have belonged to an exec and not a press test drive car. The Chalk has the damage and does not have paint protection film, but the dealer was non responsive to my offer.
Ahhh, my bad. The chalk one sounds like a batter car then. The price does seem pretty steep. Must be a supply-v-demand thing. On a different note, I recently went for a test drive in a Cayenne and saw three very lightly used GT2RSs in the show room (more in the shed) and they were begging me to take one home. It wasn’t too long ago that you had to be in the inner circle to even get on the waiting list for a GT car. Unfortunately, I don’t have that kind of money for another toy. Maybe our last kid will get a full ride somewhere. There’s always hope.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:56 AM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, Brian Cheney. I didn't think my offer was out of the question (except perhaps the request to have them cover the shipping cost). The original MSRP was $162k and their price of $139,863 is a 13.7% discount. For a demo car my experience is that a 20% discount is more appropriate. I'd love to get your thoughts on fair price as that is still a car that is high on my list.

Happy to connect by DM if that's a better way to discuss than here in the thread. I would welcome any input.
The shipping cost for a dealership from that side of the country out to California is only about $1500 (I know, because I went through about a dozen dealerships discussing cars 3-4 months ago before finding one locally). I was able to negotiate anywhere from free shipping to splitting the cost with almost every dealership I spoke with (although you need to negotiate everything else first as they find a way to make it up on other costs).

Hope you find what you're looking for!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:03 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Baba Ghanoush
The shipping cost for a dealership from that side of the country out to California is only about $1500 (I know, because I went through about a dozen dealerships discussing cars 3-4 months ago before finding one locally). I was able to negotiate anywhere from free shipping to splitting the cost with almost every dealership I spoke with (although you need to negotiate everything else first as they find a way to make it up on other costs).

Hope you find what you're looking for!
$1500 for enclosed cross country? not in my experience. enclosed from florida to oregon will run ~$2500

and i would definitely not ship a car like this cross country non-enclosed
Old 06-11-2020, 10:34 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Minimum discount on that car should be 25%. Program car plus damage......and mileage isn't super low either. Lately there have been some new cars at 20-25% discount (ask me how I know). Bought a Boxster GTS as a program car back in 2016 with 600 miles, no issues but I'd never do it again. Nothing wrong with it but definitely paid too much at about a 12% discount.

$2200 enclosed shipping from CA to FL, open shipping quotes as low as $1100.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

The current plan is to go tomorrow and I will report back. I have talked to Brian in the past so I will talk to him when I get there and do my best for you.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by omaralt
$1500 for enclosed cross country? not in my experience. enclosed from florida to oregon will run ~$2500

and i would definitely not ship a car like this cross country non-enclosed
yes, if an individual were paying the cost on their own it could get to that price. But a dealership doesn’t pay the same as us, just like Wal-Mart doesn’t pay the same price for goods as the local five and dime shop.

Regardless, I got quotes from no less than half a dozen dealerships and that was their cost unless they decided to all lie to me and cut me a deal, which I find highly unlikely. Why would any of them want to really cut me a deal on shipping costs?
Old 06-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Here is the Caulk car that I looked at for Rob yesterday...looking forward to finding out what he buys:

Old 06-13-2020, 03:42 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

This is a tough decision, and part of me is hoping that as I weigh the options another car will become available that is a clear winner above all the rest. Here's the top three contenders including the leading factors I'm considering.

Option #1
2019 911 Carrera GTS in Miami Blue
  • Mileage: 1,900
  • Rev Report: Mostly clean with only issue being the ignitions in zone 2 occurred at only 6 hours on the engine
    • Zone 1: 97 ignitions
    • Zone 2: 6 ignitions
  • Positive Options (preferred by me): PCCB, Rear Axle Steering, LED Headlights in Black with PDLS+, LCA
  • Missing Options: Glass Sunroof, 18-way seats (has GTS base 4-way), upgraded stereo (has base GTS version), and Front Axle Lift
  • Original MSRP: $160,820
  • Selling Price (no haggle dealer/fixed price): $128,300
  • Paint: Swirls in paint are visible at an angle, particularly in one spot on the gas cap cover oddly enough. No significant marks or rock chips. Should all come out with detail/paint correction. No paint protection film.
  • Considerations: Miami Blue is not my favorite color but is on the very short list of acceptable colors for purchase, the over rev at 6 hours on the engine annoys me a bit, the car is local to me which is a huge plus, I do wish it had the glass sunroof to provide contrast to the color scheme and balance the pop of the Miami Blue, base stereo for a GTS which is no deal breaker just would prefer one of the upgraded options even though most say the Bose doesn't sound great and the Burmester is overpriced, does not have the front axle lift which ensures I will scrape the front end at some point with city driving here in Portland, and the previous owner spent a solid $10k upgrading almost everything possible in the interior to leather (those prices compared to the square inches of leather provided have to make you laugh... $870 for the climate control panel - it's like 6 square inches). This is the only option I've seen myself and test driven. It drove/felt flawless, interior was great, paint was good with noticeable swirls at the right angle.
Option #2
2019 911 Carrera 4 GTS in Chalk
  • Mileage: 3,427
  • Rev Report: Spotless, zeroes across all zones
  • Positive Options (preferred by me): PCCB, Glass Sunroof, Rear Axle Steering, Front Axle Lift, Bose Sound System, Premium Package Plus with 18-way Seats, LED Headlights in Black with PDLS+, LCA
  • Missing Options: Nothing really... wish it had the Burmester but I'm happy with the Bose
  • Original MSRP: $162,020
  • Selling Price (dealer showing unwillingness to negotiate much): $139,863
  • Paint: Significant scrape along the front of the plastic chin splitter that extends into the paint on the front passenger side, approximately 1-inch of missing paint in need of repair (see photos above). Minor scuff in paint on hood. No paint protection film.
  • Considerations: This car is optioned pretty perfectly for me. The biggest issue I have is the small scrape on the front end. I hate the idea of having to match paint to a section of the car. I know how hard it can be to match new paint perfectly and I've heard Chalk is difficult. The dealer is unwilling to address this themselves at this point. The car is also overpriced in my opinion. A certified prior year 911 GTS should sell for approximately 20% off original MSRP (again my opinion from experience/research). Mainly I hate knowing there is damage from someone else's prior mistake... oddly had they fixed the paint well I'd be ignorant and happy to buy. If not for the minor paint damage this would be the clear winner even overpriced as it is. This was a PCNA Marketing car, but with the unquestionably clean Rev Report must have been driven by an exec. This car was seen by a fellow forum member who confirmed overall condition (Thanks again Bob!)
Option #3
2019 911 GTS in Miami Blue
  • Mileage: 5,600
  • Rev Report: Borderline clean with only issue being the ignitions in zone 3
    • Zone 1: 172 ignitions
    • Zone 2: 70 ignitions
    • Zone 3: 33 ignitions
  • Positive Options (preferred by me): Rear Axle Steering, Front Axle Lift, Bose Sound, Premium Package Plus 18-way, LED Headlights in Black with PDLS+, LCA
  • Missing Options: PCCB, Glass Sunroof
  • Original MSRP: $150,045 (including $545 LA Delivery Experience)
  • Selling Price (recently listed but guessing there is some room for negotiation): $119,690
  • Paint: Full Paint Protection Film, paint is almost excellent, one or two possible rock chips/indentations in the film at the front lower section where chips are inevitable
  • Considerations: This car was admittedly tracked by the previous owner, although as evidenced by the Rev Report the engine was not pushed very hard. Both front and rear brakes have been replaced including the rotors. Because of the evidence that the engine wasn't badly treated I'm inclined to believe the dealership (a trustworthy one by all accounts) that the front brakes didn't need to be replaced but they did so out of an abundance of caution. Rear brakes were replaced by the owner prior to selling to the dealership. Any track use appears to have been several thousand miles ago based on Rev Report information. The owner obviously cared enough about the vehicle to cover the entire car in Paint Protection Film, and there is no significant pitting on the film which again supports the idea it was not tracked very much. Again, Miami Blue is not my favorite color but is on the very short list of acceptable colors for purchase. The car is not local and I have not had an independent set of eyes on it yet. This car has the best price of the bunch and very few if any wasted $$ in added options, although it is missing a few options I would like, especially the PCCB and again the glass sunroof to offset the Miami Blue. The Paint Protection Film is a wonderful $5k gift from the previous owner but the unknown of the track use has my head spinning... brand new brakes is great, but how the hell does a car with 5,600 miles and a reasonably clean Rev Report get enough track use to warrant replacing pads and rotors on all 4 corners. I suppose allowing steel brakes to overheat for several laps in a single track session could be enough to form slight heat cracking in the rotors which a well trained Porsche technician would spot even though it may not have been "needed". This car is both the best deal and biggest unknown.
Sorry for the long post, but it's kind of helping me in my process to put all this out there on paper. Hopefully I'm not doing the legwork for someone to swoop in and buy the best of these three options But if they did it would just narrow down the choices!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

This is what you need to do to help you decide so the post is fine. I cannot tell you what car to buy but if I were you I would make an offer of $135k on the Caulk car and wait him out. I know you could get some OEM Caulk touchup paint and make the tiny but of damage almost invisible from standing near the car since it is so low, and replace the spoiler lip for a couple hundred and have fun with your new car.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:13 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

This is what you need to do to help you decide so the post is fine. I cannot tell you what car to buy but if I were you I would make an offer of $135k on the Caulk car and wait him out. I know you could get some OEM Caulk touchup paint and make the tiny but of damage almost invisible from standing near the car since it is so low, and replace the spoiler lip for a couple hundred and have fun with your new car.
Based on all of your comments and notations of your "wants" I agree with this assessment as well. Offer $135k delivered and tell them that's the best you can do and hold steady. She looks pretty from the photo you posted and I love Chalk on this car.

Quick Reply: Advice on Purchase