Sponsored by:

Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
maybe porsche is different; but in my experience with BMWs CC is that they squeak a lot and are dangerous in the rain.
I had PCCBs on my last 991.1S ('13) and have them on my current 991.2GTS '18) and NO squeaking. My steels on my first 991.1S ('12.5) squeaked from time to time. PCCBs...never.

And they handle fantastic in the rain (I have autocrossed with them in the rain, too, many times). You should worry more about tires in the rain than Porsche's flawless PCCBs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hurricane:
Jeahbladejeah (06-11-2020), shammerman (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

CC are really not made for daily use; mostly track
Actually just the opposite. With long life and no brake dust, they are perfect for daily use and will likely last the life of the car.

For track use, they are crazy expensive to replace as a consumable.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hurricane:
AlexCeres (06-10-2020), Bob815 (06-10-2020), Jeahbladejeah (06-11-2020), shammerman (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:12 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

If they went through a set of brakes in that short time, it was driven hard.

PCCB brakes are fine under all conditions, I’ve driven them in the rain at Birmingham Porsche Experience, they’re just expensive to repair/replace.

Finding “your” model won’t be easy, the sales people know this and use it to your disadvantage. I went through the same thing and ended up doing an order.

I wouldn’t buy a car that someone ran hard, they knew they weren’t keeping it, so what did they care.

You have to be flexible with what you want if you want used/CPO, or order one to your specs.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a used Porsche without personally seeing it and thorough PPI.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I may be going that way in a few days and if so I can take a look at it for you, if you are serious.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:27 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
If they went through a set of brakes in that short time, it was driven hard.

PCCB brakes are fine under all conditions, I’ve driven them in the rain at Birmingham Porsche Experience, they’re just expensive to repair/replace.

Finding “your” model won’t be easy, the sales people know this and use it to your disadvantage. I went through the same thing and ended up doing an order.

I wouldn’t buy a car that someone ran hard, they knew they weren’t keeping it, so what did they care.

You have to be flexible with what you want if you want used/CPO, or order one to your specs.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a used Porsche without personally seeing it and thorough PPI.

Good luck.
The one in the original post with 5600 miles was with steel brakes, and that was my assumption as well that if they went through the brakes that quick they must have tracked it hard and they probably didn't care about abusing it. But then all other pieces of evidence seemed to point the other direction:
  • The over rev report is the one shown above were there were only 172 ignitions in zone 1, 70 in zone 2, and 33 in zone 3 which shows me the engine was not beat on frequently at all
  • The last over rev in any zone was in hour 89 of operation out of 193 total hours of operation, meaning zero over revs in the last half of its operation under this owner
  • The car was purchased outright and was not a lease
  • The owner paid a shop in LA to put Expel clear wrap over the entire car after picking it up at the LA delivery experience
So when I considered all that evidence it seemed unlikely that the car was thrashed on and more likely that, yes it was tracked (as admitted by the owner and dealer) but probably not significantly and it would seem the owner had a much heavier brake foot than when accelerating. Once the full front and rear brakes have been replaced, if as I assume by the rev report the engine wasn't abused more than just pushing it as it's designed, what other parts should I be concerned about excessive wear on? (that's a genuine question rolling through my mind).

There is not any heavy pitting on the expel or the windshield, so it seems unlikely there was significant track time logged. Couldn't someone wear out a set of steel brakes in a single day track session?

On your second point, I totally agree, I've had to open up to many color and option packages and both the GTS and 4 GTS manual transmission. I would definitely have just switched over to ordering one, but I personally don't like the styling changes in '20 and the GTS won't be back until sometime next year... I missed the very last brand new GTS manual on a lot that sold in Long Beach last week. If anyone knows of any manual transmission '19 GTS sitting on a lot, let me know!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:28 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

Btw how do you get the over rev report?
The following users liked this post:
Jon D (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:30 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I may be going that way in a few days and if so I can take a look at it for you, if you are serious.
Guessing from your location that you're going to be near Porsche South Orlando? If so, that would be phenomenal. I've submitted my offer to them, as of right now I don't think they're impressed with it, but I expect a follow up call and hope for a counter that's at least close to what I asked for.

I'd love a second opinion on the front chin splitter scrape in person. It's so hard to tell from photos.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:32 AM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Btw how do you get the over rev report?
Just ask and the salesperson will have a tech pull it from the car. I had no idea about it until a salesperson volunteered one and then I did a search here on Rennlist and realized the information is gold in determining how the car was treated (at least how the motor was treated).
omaralt (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:33 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I had PCCBs on my last 991.1S ('13) and have them on my current 991.2GTS '18) and NO squeaking. My steels on my first 991.1S ('12.5) squeaked from time to time. PCCBs...never.

And they handle fantastic in the rain (I have autocrossed with them in the rain, too, many times). You should worry more about tires in the rain than Porsche's flawless PCCBs.
+1. Never going back to steels for DD. Terrific performance, no brake dust, no squeaking, and basically no maintenance required for typical street wear for the lifetime of the car.
shammerman (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheLeftSchuh
Guessing from your location that you're going to be near Porsche South Orlando? If so, that would be phenomenal. I've submitted my offer to them, as of right now I don't think they're impressed with it, but I expect a follow up call and hope for a counter that's at least close to what I asked for.

I'd love a second opinion on the front chin splitter scrape in person. It's so hard to tell from photos.
I live a couple hours north but may be near there so I will stop by if so and take a good look at it and report back. Otherwise, did you look for a new one somewhere else in the country? I am sure there are some at dealers.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Looking at over rev reports and hours on the clock at which they occurred. If the car was driven at 70 mph for the first many hours then then over revs would be beyond the break in period which is good. But that is not a great break in process. Some will say drive it like you stole it from day one. Well, many won’t do that either. With a car that has been driven hard and sold quickly, it would make me wonder about the over all condition. Was the car brought up to full operating temps before stomping on it? Does it burn oil, now it performs at high temps? That’s something you will not find out and the risk is on you. For me, this would be a pass simply because there are so many cars out there but that is just me.
scr1244 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:26 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I live a couple hours north but may be near there so I will stop by if so and take a good look at it and report back. Otherwise, did you look for a new one somewhere else in the country? I am sure there are some at dealers.
According to two separate dealers I've spoken to there are no more manual GTS or 4GTS 2019s sitting on lots. There was one left in Long Beach and it sold the day before I called. But if I've been misinformed by them, I'd be a happy camper.

I will let you know if they respond to my offer, I would greatly appreciate your set of eyes on the car.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:42 PM
TheLeftSchuh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jack F
Looking at over rev reports and hours on the clock at which they occurred. If the car was driven at 70 mph for the first many hours then then over revs would be beyond the break in period which is good. But that is not a great break in process. Some will say drive it like you stole it from day one. Well, many won’t do that either. With a car that has been driven hard and sold quickly, it would make me wonder about the over all condition. Was the car brought up to full operating temps before stomping on it? Does it burn oil, now it performs at high temps? That’s something you will not find out and the risk is on you. For me, this would be a pass simply because there are so many cars out there but that is just me.
According to a search of the National Porsche CPO tool, there are currently 6 cars nationwide in a 991.2 GTS or 4 GTS with a manual transmission and less than 10,000 miles.

Again, with the engine rev report I'm just not convinced this car was "driven hard" and certainly it wasn't done so consistently. I think the math may be off in your calculation, the average speed of the car over the life according to my math would be: (5600 total miles / 193 total operating hours) = 29mph as an average speed. If the only stage 3 over rev occurred at the 73rd hour (and with only 33 ignitions in stage 3 I'd say it's possible it only entered that range once) then at the average of 29 mph it would have happened at 2,117 miles on the odometer.

I guess the biggest question for me is still what other parts of the car should I concern myself with after the brakes have been replaced if it has been driven in a spirited way around the track?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheLeftSchuh
Just ask and the salesperson will have a tech pull it from the car. I had no idea about it until a salesperson volunteered one and then I did a search here on Rennlist and realized the information is gold in determining how the car was treated (at least how the motor was treated).
Please tell me the names of the people you have been working with, or PM them to me if you do not want to post it here. It appears we will be going Friday, just before a trip to Gatorland...chomp, chomp.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:18 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Buying a ‘19 was the target for me. A new model ‘20 wasn’t what I was interested in at all.

I feel your pain OP, hope you find what you want.

Quick Reply: Advice on Purchase