Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla Assessed my 2019 Carrera GTS Coupe at $75k

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Sounds like you're off the Tesla, at least for now so no used dickering on trade value.
Spider sounds good though. Not a Tesla fan myself but have never owned one only driven one. No really issues with them just don't find them appealing as my play car.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ddodds
Why do people get so emotional when given low ball offers? If you don't like the deal negotiate a better one or move on. When I negotiate with a dealer, I always start with a low ball offer. Dealer usually scoffs a bit at first and if we don't progress, I move on to the next one. Plenty of Porsche dealers out there that would love to buy your car. If you want top $, sell privately. I'm not a big fan of paying sales tax either but sometimes that's the cost of doing business. Here in beautiful taxifornia I pay 9.5%. Ouch!
Driving these cars are emotional. Buying and selling these cars are business. I learned many, many years ago that you will create less stress on yourself if you separate the two. It all comes down to simple math and personal needs. Personally, I would list it here and on other sites before trading, but I understand private party sales are not for everyone. Regarding sales tax implications, it's just part of the math.
Sounds like a wonderful car, best of luck with your sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlBinVA:
hbear (06-03-2020), m5biemer (06-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:25 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

High-end cars are not easy to sell, most people want to buy them from a dealer where they have been "blessed" by a tech. I have learned that with plenty of high-end vehicles (you think trading in a Porsche is difficult, try an Aston Martin).

What I find works well for me is taking it to Car Max and getting their offer, it's fast and no-nonsense. That then becomes your "floor", you know you can take it there and get cash for it at that price. Also run it by a Porsche dealer, you may be surprised to find what they will buy it outright from your for. Just be prepared to wait a few weeks to get a check from most dealers, its not on-the-spot for a buy. What I do then once I have my "floor" is put them on EBAY with a No Reserve auction starting at that bottom dollar and let it ride out. No Buy It Nows, No Make an Offer, just an old school auction. (or go to BAT with it, same thing). You might be surprised how high it gets bid.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:40 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 362 Posts

Try trading in a two year old Tesla at a Porsche dealership and you would swear off Porsches too.
Right now, there seems to be plenty of used 911s on dealer lots. The local one has a GTS in CR same MSRP of 146k and with an asking price of 110k. It hasn't moved. A Porsche dealer might offer 90k for your car (based on Edmunds) on another new and more expensive Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
hbear (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:41 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
High-end cars are not easy to sell, most people want to buy them from a dealer where they have been "blessed" by a tech. I have learned that with plenty of high-end vehicles (you think trading in a Porsche is difficult, try an Aston Martin).

What I find works well for me is taking it to Car Max and getting their offer, it's fast and no-nonsense. That then becomes your "floor", you know you can take it there and get cash for it at that price. Also run it by a Porsche dealer, you may be surprised to find what they will buy it outright from your for. Just be prepared to wait a few weeks to get a check from most dealers, its not on-the-spot for a buy. What I do then once I have my "floor" is put them on EBAY with a No Reserve auction starting at that bottom dollar and let it ride out. No Buy It Nows, No Make an Offer, just an old school auction. (or go to BAT with it, same thing). You might be surprised how high it gets bid.
I’ll either trade it toward a Spyder or keep it. If I’m definitely getting rid of it, I’ll post it in classifieds and sell private party. I’ve sold a lot of cars that way. I posted more as a vent to Tesla’s BS lowball offer, given that I was already offered $108k on a trade toward a Spyder and I didn’t even have to push hard for that.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Used car prices are way down lately and the Mercedes dealer told they have dropped 8% since the virus started. I have a G550 on order and I was planning to trade in my wife's SUV but based on their offer I will keep it and wait for prices to back up!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:56 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

I would not walk away from that Tesla deal. I would run!!
I know of one Tesla S barely over a year old traded for for a Panamera Turbo S, and he got half what he paid for that Tesla as a trade.
​​​​​​
Old 06-03-2020, 11:02 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It will also vary by dealer ... presumably, at least, not sure how Tesla works. But I took a potential high end trade to your local Porsche dealer against a 991 Turbo S and got an insulting lowball offer for it. Took the same car to the Porsche dealer in Westwood and they offered me $25k more than the local dealer did. I accepted their offer and bought their car instead. Would I buy anything from the other dealer now? Not likely, even though I like my sales guy there. But the sales manager soured me on doing business with them.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:15 AM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Their offer seems to be a way of telling you they are not really interested in your trade without having to say it.
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (06-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 11:17 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

With all due respect, I'm not sure what the problem is, other than unrealistic expectations on your part. Of course, a Tesla dealer is going to give you a horrible trade-in value for your Porsche. Of course, a Porsche dealer is going to give you a reasonable trade-in value against a new Spyder. The Porsche dealer stands to make an easy $10-15k on that transaction... the Tesla dealer? They probably "break-even" on your trade-in even at that ridiculously low number.

At the end of the day, though, what a dealer offers for a trade is almost entirely meaningless. The only number that matters is the net difference.

TL;DR - TSLA $980 07/22
Old 06-03-2020, 11:21 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 75 Posts

you are way too emotional about this. few things to consider

1- tesla doesn't have a traditional dealer network. they will be auctioning the car, which is a headache to them
2- we are in the midst of a global pandemic, rioting/looting, locust swarm, etc, etc. not a great time to trade in a newish exotic/luxury car
3- trading in a new car is difficult because you are competing with new cars. my local dealer is selling a demo GTS 7spd manual (MSRP 147K) w/4k miles for $120k. that is what they're advertising; i'm pretty sure they'll move down a bit on that as well

dont make this emotional. for you to swear off tesla because one dealer lowballed you is stupid. take your car to carmax and get an offer (if they're buying cars at this point).

oh and dont forget that the 992s are now out which further depresses the market
The following 2 users liked this post by omaralt:
Cristophosphorus (06-03-2020), hbear (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

All dealers are going to be weary of trades as no one knows how long the economy is going to remain unstable going forward. $75000 is a ridiculous number however, in MA, all dealers know they can in fact "steal" vehicles due to the sales tax exemption on your trades value, in your case, this is nearly $5000. I would agree with others and attempt to sell it on your own. You might not get what you're seeking but undoubtedly, you'll be much better off than your offer from Tesla
Old 06-03-2020, 11:57 AM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

While they may not be in the market for such a high end car, I highly suggest Carvana for trades. I was trying to sell my son's pristine GTI myself and didn't get anywhere. Got an offer from Carmax for $12,000. Carvana came in at $14,000 which was almost retail. When I dropped the car off, the guy didn't even want to start it or drive it. He said "looks good, you made it here". I was stunned. Don't you want to drive it, see if there is a check engine light, look for dents. Nothing. Wired the money into his account in two days. Great to work with.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:28 PM
KOTB
Banned

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
you are way too emotional about this. few things to consider

1- tesla doesn't have a traditional dealer network. they will be auctioning the car, which is a headache to them
2- we are in the midst of a global pandemic, rioting/looting, locust swarm, etc, etc. not a great time to trade in a newish exotic/luxury car
3- trading in a new car is difficult because you are competing with new cars. my local dealer is selling a demo GTS 7spd manual (MSRP 147K) w/4k miles for $120k. that is what they're advertising; i'm pretty sure they'll move down a bit on that as well

dont make this emotional. for you to swear off tesla because one dealer lowballed you is stupid. take your car to carmax and get an offer (if they're buying cars at this point).

oh and dont forget that the 992s are now out which further depresses the market
He is not getting emotional. Tesla is not a car brand. Its a brand of software. Their cars suck! Technology is great! Their dealer network and prices suck! Their fit and finish sucks! I cant wait for them to go out of business! This can happen any day while their CEO smokes MJ on air!
Old 06-03-2020, 04:30 PM
infinitest
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTB
He is not getting emotional. Tesla is not a car brand. Its a brand of software. Their cars suck! Technology is great! Their dealer network and prices suck! Their fit and finish sucks! I cant wait for them to go out of business! This can happen any day while their CEO smokes MJ on air!
What a very strange and uninformed opinion to have and share so freely

Quick Reply: Tesla Assessed my 2019 Carrera GTS Coupe at $75k