Programming multifunction display

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 11:19 AM
duncankc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming multifunction display

Hi,

My PCM is dead. I am definitely going the aftermarket head unit option or radio delete with shelf. Sadly, before my pcm stopped completely working I did not know enough to change the settings so that “nav” “phone” and “audio” menus are removed from the multifunction display. Can this be accomplished with PIWIS instead? Thank you very much in advance!

bonus question: I can only find MOST adaptors for 997 amps. I would like to get an adaptor and do a little Bluetooth receiver with the radio delete shelf installed. Any of you ever done this?

Duncan
Old 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 461 Posts

Are you sure it's dead? There is an ongoing problem with the PCM if you have satellite radio. Porsche is working through the problem now, but haven't found a fix yet. Also it would help if you included the year of your car. There were changes and updates through the years.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

@DuncanC and @Jim M. - There is a fix for the PCM problem (many, many posts here about that). Not sure if that is Duncan's issue, but this is for the common issue most of us have had in the last week or so.

The following users liked this post:
The Ox (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:52 PM
duncankc
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Are you sure it's dead? There is an ongoing problem with the PCM if you have satellite radio. Porsche is working through the problem now, but haven't found a fix yet. Also it would help if you included the year of your car. There were changes and updates through the years.
Thanks for the ideas. My pcm was declared inoperative by the dealership in February for the constant reboot issue (predates the recent XM problem). I have a 2014 911 base with the Bose option. Leaning towards full radio delete.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by duncankc
Thanks for the ideas. My pcm was declared inoperative by the dealership in February for the constant reboot issue (predates the recent XM problem). I have a 2014 911 base with the Bose option. Leaning towards full radio delete.
Have you tried the Vehicle Handover process in the video by any chance? Who knows...it might work even if the dealership wasn't able to resolve the issue at the time. Nothing to loose.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM
duncankc
Track Day

Originally Posted by shammerman
Have you tried the Vehicle Handover process in the video by any chance? Who knows...it might work even if the dealership wasn't able to resolve the issue at the time. Nothing to loose.
I would try it but when I picked up my car from the dealer it has even less functionality than before. Now all I get is the emergency boot up page because they attempted to do a software update. Apparently that update didn’t work. At least before I would have 2 minutes of full functionality on the pcm before it went though it’s crazy auto reboot process. Dealer ordered me a new pcm but the part has been on backorder for weeks. I don’t think I’m going to replace it. 4600$ buys a lot of tires and brakes.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:07 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts

I would check into that thread before deleting the PCM. To swap the hard drive for a SSD which is way more solid and stable to heat and road bumps just makes sense to me:

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...ve-to-ssd.html

or here

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/pcm...to-ssd.243528/
Old 05-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Contact these guys, they do great work! Used them in my 993 days.
https://www.beckerautosound.com/repairs
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (05-28-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:24 PM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi,

My PCM is dead. I am definitely going the aftermarket head unit option or radio delete with shelf. Sadly, before my pcm stopped completely working I did not know enough to change the settings so that “nav” “phone” and “audio” menus are removed from the multifunction display. Can this be accomplished with PIWIS instead? Thank you very much in advance!

bonus question: I can only find MOST adaptors for 997 amps. I would like to get an adaptor and do a little Bluetooth receiver with the radio delete shelf installed. Any of you ever done this?

Duncan
The PCM hard drive also died on my .1. I did the SSD clone/swap and it worked great, but I ended up replacing it with an aftermarket head unit anyway so I could have wireless carplay/android auto. I can still enable/disable the multi-function menus via the settings screen in the multi-function display. For the MOST adapter, I used the MOST-H.U.R.31 from Navtv to adapt the aftermarket radio. I would think you could also use it with a bluetooth adapter. the Navtv adapter uses line-level RCAs to connect to the aftermarket stereo.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:50 PM
duncankc
Track Day

Originally Posted by markoware
The PCM hard drive also died on my .1. I did the SSD clone/swap and it worked great, but I ended up replacing it with an aftermarket head unit anyway so I could have wireless carplay/android auto. I can still enable/disable the multi-function menus via the settings screen in the multi-function display. For the MOST adapter, I used the MOST-H.U.R.31 from Navtv to adapt the aftermarket radio. I would think you could also use it with a bluetooth adapter. the Navtv adapter uses line-level RCAs to connect to the aftermarket stereo.
thanks for your input. Rennlist user jslo is making me an ssd. Hope it brings my pcm back to life.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:36 AM
markoware
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

thanks for your input. Rennlist user jslo is making me an ssd. Hope it brings my pcm back to life.
I got mine from him and it worked great. I didn't need to have anything coded, either, it just all worked. I go back and forth on whether I like the PCM or aftermarket head unit better...the UIs on aftermarket head units are pretty terrible, but at least I can use Android Auto wireless. The aftermarket unit just looks sort of out of place to me in the 911.

Quick Reply: Programming multifunction display