Sponsored by:

991.2 CarPlay and Waze issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 AM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 991.2 CarPlay and Waze issues

We noticed tonight that Waze was streaming our route perfect through hard-wired CarPlay, and alerting us of direction changes in the route -- meaning, "turn left in 2 miles" and such like that, with no issues at all.

What Waze was not doing is alerting us of any police or other hazards. Meaning, if I was not looking at the screen we would drive right up to and pass a parked officer and Waze wouldn't announce anything.

Can anyone provide some guidance or experience with this matter? User error perhaps?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:50 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

You are dependant on other users having reported the officer being there.

Possible no one did - did you report him?

The only options I see for sound are on, alerts only and off, I don’t see an option for route but no alerts so guess it must be down the Waze not knowing he was there? Not sure what it is like in the USA now but in the UK with Covid the road traffic volumes are a fraction of what they would normally be so less people to report hazards which will have a significant impact on the accuracy of Waze alerts?

Old 05-23-2020, 05:01 AM
Phil909
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NachoRunner601
We noticed tonight that Waze was streaming our route perfect through hard-wired CarPlay, and alerting us of direction changes in the route -- meaning, "turn left in 2 miles" and such like that, with no issues at all.

What Waze was not doing is alerting us of any police or other hazards. Meaning, if I was not looking at the screen we would drive right up to and pass a parked officer and Waze wouldn't announce anything.

Can anyone provide some guidance or experience with this matter? User error perhaps?
I have noticed this too. It's definitely not human error, it's a fault.
I noticed this started a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure if this coincided with an update to the Waze app or not as my apps are set to auto update. My car had a service a month ago and I wonder whether the PCM was updated?
Everything was working perfectly yet now no audible warnings for Police or speed camera's. Police still appear on the Waze map (no audible alert though) but speed camera's now completely disappear.
I tried a few things last night on a journey, if you restart the Waze app and plug in to the PCM via the cable, it will alert you to the first speed camera you come across and then stop working (no other speed camera's appear on the map and no warnings).
If you restart the Waze app and don't plug into the PCM, Waze works as normal with full alerts.

So it seems like there is a bug somewhere which stops these alerts when plugged into the PCM.

I wonder if Porsche have somehow disabled the PCM from displaying these alerts as the law has changed in Germany to now ban speed camera alerts? Is there any way you can see what version number of the PCM you are running?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:09 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I was still getting fixed speed camera alerts yesterday, iOS 13.4.1
Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 AM
Phil909
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nathan_
I was still getting fixed speed camera alerts yesterday, iOS 13.4.1
i was on iOS 13.3.1 so I’ll update to the latest version and see if that works.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:34 AM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nathan_
You are dependant on other users having reported the officer being there.

Possible no one did - did you report him?

The only options I see for sound are on, alerts only and off, I don’t see an option for route but no alerts so guess it must be down the Waze not knowing he was there? Not sure what it is like in the USA now but in the UK with Covid the road traffic volumes are a fraction of what they would normally be so less people to report hazards which will have a significant impact on the accuracy of Waze alerts?

sorry, I was not clear — I reported him, yes. But others had also reported him, as his “image” was marked on the screen visually but there was no auditory alert.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan_ (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:39 AM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by Phil909
I have noticed this too. It's definitely not human error, it's a fault.
I noticed this started a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure if this coincided with an update to the Waze app or not as my apps are set to auto update. My car had a service a month ago and I wonder whether the PCM was updated?
Everything was working perfectly yet now no audible warnings for Police or speed camera's. Police still appear on the Waze map (no audible alert though) but speed camera's now completely disappear.
I tried a few things last night on a journey, if you restart the Waze app and plug in to the PCM via the cable, it will alert you to the first speed camera you come across and then stop working (no other speed camera's appear on the map and no warnings).
If you restart the Waze app and don't plug into the PCM, Waze works as normal with full alerts.

So it seems like there is a bug somewhere which stops these alerts when plugged into the PCM.

I wonder if Porsche have somehow disabled the PCM from displaying these alerts as the law has changed in Germany to now ban speed camera alerts? Is there any way you can see what version number of the PCM you are running?
I’ll give your method of plugged in/not today and see how it goes for me.

Not sure how to know which version I’m using...? I found “software version” in the pcm settings and the last few digits P5159 1444 — not sure if that’s what you’re looking for?

That said I was on 13.4 iOS and downloading 13.5 now - maybe that will help!
Old 05-24-2020, 08:05 PM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the same issue today. Neither police nor other hazards were reported verbally over Apple Car Play. Also noticed I wasn’t able confirm or deny (I.e. “Thanks!” Or “not there”). Doubt anything has changed in the PCM without us noticing so more likely Apple Car Play or Waze change.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by SwedeInNY
Had the same issue today. Neither police nor other hazards were reported verbally over Apple Car Play. Also noticed I wasn’t able confirm or deny (I.e. “Thanks!” Or “not there”). Doubt anything has changed in the PCM without us noticing so more likely Apple Car Play or Waze change.
Glad to know I’m not the only one with this issue. I do know what you mean about doubting PCM changes - as it would be weird for there to be no other changes that we had not noticed.

We will be in the car for about 8 hours tomorrow; definitely enough time to try and fiddle with some settings to see if we can get things back to normal.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 AM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by SwedeInNY
I spent about 6 hours in the car today on the interstate and here's what I found...

- I could not confirm/deny any hazards/police/etc. EXCEPT the very first one to show up after starting Waze for the first time in the morning. All following "hazards" were not announced. UNLESS, I unplugged the iphone, closed the Waze app and started my route over again
- editing/adjusting of any settings within the PCM, Waze app, iOS, etc., made no difference in the alerts
- At one point the pop-up to "thank" or "not there" came up once (and only once at some random cop), but in an almost reckless manner -- it was flashing and jumping in/out of the screen and wouldn't let me select either optino.

Ultimately, to my untrained eye....this seems like a compatibility error on all parties -- Waze, iOS, PCM.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 AM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

i was on iOS 13.3.1 so I’ll update to the latest version and see if that works.
Just FYI - I updated to 13.5 (I think) and I still didn't have any luck getting things resolved. Were you able to get alerts like normal for cops and other hazards? Here is what I responded to someone else on this post...

I spent about 6 hours in the car today on the interstate and here's what I found...

- I could not confirm/deny any hazards/police/etc. EXCEPT the very first one to show up after starting Waze for the first time in the morning. All following "hazards" were not announced. UNLESS, I unplugged the iphone, closed the Waze app and started my route over again
- editing/adjusting of any settings within the PCM, Waze app, iOS, etc., made no difference in the alerts
- At one point the pop-up to "thank" or "not there" came up once (and only once at some random cop), but in an almost reckless manner -- it was flashing and jumping in/out of the screen and wouldn't let me select either optino.

Ultimately, to my untrained eye....this seems like a compatibility error on all parties -- Waze, iOS, PCM.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:01 AM
Phil909
6th Gear

Originally Posted by NachoRunner601
Just FYI - I updated to 13.5 (I think) and I still didn't have any luck getting things resolved. Were you able to get alerts like normal for cops and other hazards? Here is what I responded to someone else on this post...

Thanks for the update.
Apparently it is a known bug in the Waze App - affecting CarPlay users across different vehicles and is due to be fixed 'soon'.
I found this out via the Waze support forums.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic...7276&start=750
Old 06-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Phil909
6th Gear

FYI after my short drive today, this now seems to have been fixed in the latest iOS update and the new Waze update.
The following users liked this post:
NachoRunner601 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 09:14 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

FYI after my short drive today, this now seems to have been fixed in the latest iOS update and the new Waze update.
that is awesome to hear! Going for a quick ride after dinner, I’ll share what happens on my end.

Quick Reply: 991.2 CarPlay and Waze issues