Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COBB Tuning - Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

CLeagones - you can do Stage 2 with the Accessport with an off the shelf map from Cobb, or you can go deeper and have a custom tuner referred to you from Cobb do a tune.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:53 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
CLeagones - you can do Stage 2 with the Accessport with an off the shelf map from Cobb, or you can go deeper and have a custom tuner referred to you from Cobb do a tune.
X51 Thanks !!! I was surfing Cobb maps for my .1C4S and didn't come across a Stage 2 map...Maybe they took it down from their site..

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps
Old 01-03-2020, 11:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by CLeagones
X51 Thanks !!! I was surfing Cobb maps for my .1C4S and didn't come across a Stage 2 map...Maybe they took it down from their site..

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps
Send a PM to COBB Tuning and ask Marshall.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Tecni
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a 100 octane tune for the 991.2 Carrera S?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:04 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Moving forward, this simply makes it easier for end users to install their Accessports. Once pushed live, a simple firmware update will enable this functionality on all existing devices. Nothing else about the Accessport's functionality is changing, an ECU just no longer has to be removed and shipped to us prior to installation. We are forever grateful to those of you who have chosen COBB as your tuning solution and purchased an Accessport for your 991.2. Without seeing the continued dedication to the brand, it would have been hard to justify our continued efforts churning away at developing this new flashing protocol.

Marshall@COBB
Is there any chance of "bricking" the ECU in the car during the flash if something fails? In that case is there some warranty or recovery process to get the ECU back and functioning? Had a friend flash through the OBD port some years back in his BMW (not COBB) and the process bricked his ECU. Was left to replace his ECU by the dealer at outrageous cost.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Thanks for Cobb for their support, and I hope they will continue to listen to us here with the hope of adding new features such as removing the autoblip (rev match) and having the car start in the mode it was in when turned off, such as Sport or Sport+. Another unnamed tuner is looking into an update for those items so it would behoove Cobb to do the same!
The following users liked this post:
Porschex3 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 05:36 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

Thanks Cobb for my GT2-RS killer : )

@Marshall has anyone done up graded turbo’s with Cobb yet?

Do you have anymore development planned?

Is the PDK tune far away?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Is there any chance of "bricking" the ECU in the car during the flash if something fails? In that case is there some warranty or recovery process to get the ECU back and functioning? Had a friend flash through the OBD port some years back in his BMW (not COBB) and the process bricked his ECU. Was left to replace his ECU by the dealer at outrageous cost.
It would be pretty hard, but should be fixable at home. I'm not a pro but the way the OBD flashes work, you have a base (Stock) map and that is Version A. you read that and your tuner (Cobb in this case) modifies and send you a tweaked data set of the Version A file. You load this and you are on your way. 2 years down the road if you Porsche releases Version B and you take it in and have that flashed onto you car youll be back to 'stock' but on Version B. You would need to have Cobb send you the same tune but on Version B base file else if you load your original Version A base modified tune you risk temporarily bricking the ECU. You would need a clean Version B unmodified, and then load Cobb tuned Version B.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:25 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
It would be pretty hard, but should be fixable at home. You load this and you are on your way. .
This is the step that if there is a screw up, it bricks your ECU. Once corrupted, concern is that the ECU in the car must be physically replaced. In the case of my friend, he was in the process of loading the modified map into the car when a failure occurred. The corrupted ECU would not run the car and another ECU was required. The software tuner that sold him the software claims it was his fault, and disavowed any responsibility for the replacement of his ECU.
This is a good reason to consider using a tuner, because at least they will be responsible if a fault occurs during the upload.

So my question to Cobb is what do they do or warranty in this situation? Will Cobb replace or repair the car's ECU?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
This is the step that if there is a screw up, it bricks your ECU. Once corrupted, concern is that the ECU in the car must be physically replaced. In the case of my friend, he was in the process of loading the modified map into the car when a failure occurred. The corrupted ECU would not run the car and another ECU was required. The software tuner that sold him the software claims it was his fault, and disavowed any responsibility for the replacement of his ECU.
This is a good reason to consider using a tuner, because at least they will be responsible if a fault occurs during the upload.

So my question to Cobb is what do they do or warranty in this situation? Will Cobb replace or repair the car's ECU?
That is unfortunate for your friend. I've bricked an ECU before with out physically needing to pull the ECU and repair/replace. Car was out of commission for a day. I too am curious to what Cobb has to say,
Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL

i just installed it in my driveway. In theory you could “brick” the ECU by turning the car power off or disconnecting the cord connecting the AP to the car in the middle of the tune but honestly you’d have to be an idiot to do that. Even then I wouldn’t know if it is bricked I imagine you could probably reflash although Cobb states it wouldn’t cover that scenario. I’ve had a friend who through a Cobb tune on top of another tune and def had some engine issues.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 535 Posts

How did the tune affect your performance? How long have you had it running with the tune
Old 01-14-2020, 08:42 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdr911
i just installed it in my driveway. In theory you could “brick” the ECU by turning the car power off or disconnecting the cord connecting the AP to the car in the middle of the tune but honestly you’d have to be an idiot to do that. Even then I wouldn’t know if it is bricked I imagine you could probably reflash although Cobb states it wouldn’t cover that scenario. I’ve had a friend who through a Cobb tune on top of another tune and def had some engine issues.
Sometimes during the software flash sh*t happens. You know you bricked the ECU because the car no longer runs or starts. I have heard that earlier flashes required the owner to send the ECU into Cobb, so that is at least encouraging that may be they could recover ECU functionality at their factory, but I am wondering why Cobb is silent on this issue here on the forum.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:34 PM
yoyo711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DELETED
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM
yoyo711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Update!

Firmware to allow seamless install without having to remove your Porsche's ECU is NOW LIVE! All Accessports shipped as of yesterday (a few of you are in for a pleasant surprise) will now have the ability to install to your car right out of the box. For those with existing Accessports, simply connect it to Accessport Manager to perform a firmware update an unlock this new feature.

Marshall@COBB

Hi Marshall@COBB

We need
1. Stop and go need disable like APR Tuning
2. Need More stable or Powerful Turning V1.07 like APR Tuning

Thank you

Quick Reply: COBB Tuning - Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal