Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Edit: RELEASED COBB Tuning - Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal

In an effort to continue offering the best tuning solution for the 991.2 Porsche 911 and 718 Boxster/Cayman we are constantly looking to improve our solution. Improvements come in many forms, from simple firmware udpates to add features, updated map files to provide more consistent or smoother power delivery, and expanded vehicle support, to ensure you can look to us for tuning whenever needed.

In June of 2018, we released the Accessport for Porsche’s newest generation (at that time) of the 911 and Cayman/Boxster. The Accessport allows users to flash their car’s ECU with a file provided with the Accessport (Off The Shelf Maps) or a custom tune created by your choice of COBB Porsche Protuners. Accessport tuned cars hold a slew of records ranging from ¼ mile, ½ mile, road rallys, and more. Simply put, the Accessport is the best and most capable factory ECU tuning solution for Porsche.

One pain point we have dealt with has been the need to remove a vehicle’s ECU in order to be unlocked before an Accessport can be installed. This often meant customers would be without their Porsche for 2-3 days as the ECU made its way to and from us here in Texas.

Luckily, that has now changed. We’re excited to announce that the ability to tune your Porsche 991.2 generation 911 or 718 in the comfort of your own garage is HERE! We understand that there are some of you who have been chomping at the bit to tune your Porsche with an Accessport but have been leary of the initial install process. The Accessport allows users to install/uninstall at their discretion as well as change map files for specific situations such as a track day or handing your keys to a valet.

Stay Tuned.
Spoiler

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 12-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
NJ991 (12-10-2019), Omega4 (12-10-2019), The Ox (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:47 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

About time

Looking forward to more details.
The following users liked this post:
COBB Tuning (12-11-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:59 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Thank you APR for lighting a fire up COBB’s you know where! I can hardly wait.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

Champing at the bit.
computertom (12-11-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 09:27 PM
CBS
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Subscribed and waiting for a further update.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:49 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

I'll ask the million dollar question! Please dont take this as an attack Cobb.

But did you guys purchase the crack or whatever you call it from APR to get into the ECU? I just find it odd that you guys have been quiet about straight up OBD2 flashing and now all of a sudden, you have it in the works a day after APR releases theirs?

Just asking because it was the first thing I thought. I'm sure others might wonder too.

Thanks,
BW
Carlo_Carrera (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

^ piling on with a question as to whether your tuning has paid attention to the numerous 'safety' factors considered in the APR profile??
Old 12-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 891 Posts

Will I be able to do this with an existing accessport?
i/e already have a 991.2 accessport.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2019, 10:51 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

This was bound to happen sooner than later.

Now the biggest question is going to be who will offer the best tune.

I thought about the APR solution a bit and I can’t imagine having the be enslaved to an APR dealer for tuning.

At least with Cobb, there are a world of tune options.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:39 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

The big question is, when will we have PDK tuning?

I changed my front bar from GTS to GT3, and I am going to the dealer tomorrow to have the ACC and Front park sensors coded out. I will sneakily ask the question, can they do a PDK relearn from a GT2-RS?

In other words load GT2-RS PDK software for the PDK? Might be a nice interim fix. MoTeC are coding replacement ECU's in March next year. So anything in the interim is good. After that, its too little, too late.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
This was bound to happen sooner than later.

Now the biggest question is going to be who will offer the best tune.

I thought about the APR solution a bit and I can’t imagine having the be enslaved to an APR dealer for tuning.

At least with Cobb, there are a world of tune options.
I am glad someone agrees with me - when I said I was waiting for this option a couple months ago I was told that it would be a long time or never - I knew it was being worked on. I have used Cobb in the past so I am glad to see they are on top of things and I am look forward to the details.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:03 AM
nanozic
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM

But did you guys purchase the crack or whatever you call it from APR to get into the ECU? I just find it odd that you guys have been quiet about straight up OBD2 flashing and now all of a sudden, you have it in the works a day after APR releases theirs?

Just asking because it was the first thing I thought. I'm sure others might wonder too.

Thanks,
BW
Or they have legitimately been working on it for a while and feel the need to announce that fact now because the current conversation is about APR and their port flashing. With COBB's announcement, people who were exclusively waiting for any tune that could be port flashed may feel like they have another option other than APR and Might wait for COBB even though an eta hasn't been specified. Seems smart to me.

But I'm just speculating like anyone else
BIGWORM (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

It sure was bound to happen as any man-made device can be hacked, hence the promising future in cyber space and AI career.
APR is a proven tuner but I’ve always preferred being able to flash/unflash tunes from the comfort of my garage. Now I have no excuse. And I agree...a PDK tune is in order as well. Tick tock tick tock.......
Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM

Thanks,
BW
Absolutely not. This is something we've been working on for quite some time, as has APR. APR started teasing their release a little while back and we knew it would be close to coinciding to ours but chose to remain quiet in hopes of potentially beating them to the punch. It appears as though they do have the ability to flash a selection of ROMs through the front door for now and will add more as time progresses. When we release front door flashing, all currently supported ECUs will immediately be supported. This will not be an incomplete offering.

Originally Posted by the_buch
^ piling on with a question as to whether your tuning has paid attention to the numerous 'safety' factors considered in the APR profile??
Absolutely. The main difference here is necessity. Has APR identified additional safety protocols within the ECU? Maybe, we haven't looked at their product to compare. With that said, our Off The Shelf maps and the thousands of custom tunes made for wildly modified cars have not had any issues with these undefined. With an Accessport installed, you can keep your eyes on live data to confirm exactly how the car is running, rather than taking someone's word that "safety factors" are in place.

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Will I be able to do this with an existing accessport?
i/e already have a 991.2 accessport.
Thanks
Replied to your PM, but so that everyone else knows - absolutely. Once this is pushed live, existing Accessports will need a simple Firmware Update using Accessport Manager in order to install onto an ECU.

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
The big question is, when will we have PDK tuning?

I changed my front bar from GTS to GT3, and I am going to the dealer tomorrow to have the ACC and Front park sensors coded out. I will sneakily ask the question, can they do a PDK relearn from a GT2-RS?

In other words load GT2-RS PDK software for the PDK? Might be a nice interim fix. MoTeC are coding replacement ECU's in March next year. So anything in the interim is good. After that, its too little, too late.
Once this front door flashing release is out in the wild, additional PDK support becomes top priority. At this point, it's safe to anticipate something being available by Summer 2020. Hopefully a touch earlier.

Originally Posted by nanozic
Or they have legitimately been working on it for a while and feel the need to announce that fact now because the current conversation is about APR and their port flashing. With COBB's announcement, people who were exclusively waiting for any tune that could be port flashed may feel like they have another option other than APR and Might wait for COBB even though an eta hasn't been specified. Seems smart to me.

But I'm just speculating like anyone else
You may be on to something, here.

Marshall@COBB

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
BIGWORM (12-11-2019), GT3FZS (12-18-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:44 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 186 Posts

Marshall,
Will we be seeing an additional features in map updates or any enhanced performance? Or would that be something that custom tuners handle from here?

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Absolutely not. This is something we've been working on for quite some time, as has APR. APR started teasing their release a little while back and we knew it would be close to coinciding to ours but chose to remain quiet in hopes of potentially beating them to the punch. It appears as though they do have the ability to flash a selection of ROMs through the front door for now and will add more as time progresses. When we release front door flashing, all currently supported ECUs will immediately be supported. This will not be an incomplete offering.

Absolutely. The main difference here is necessity. Has APR identified additional safety protocols within the ECU? Maybe, we haven't looked at their product to compare. With that said, our Off The Shelf maps and the thousands of custom tunes made for wildly modified cars have not had any issues with these undefined. With an Accessport installed, you can keep your eyes on live data to confirm exactly how the car is running, rather than taking someone's word that "safety factors" are in place.

Replied to your PM, but so that everyone else knows - absolutely. Once this is pushed live, existing Accessports will need a simple Firmware Update using Accessport Manager in order to install onto an ECU.

Once this front door flashing release is out in the wild, additional PDK support becomes top priority. At this point, it's safe to anticipate something being available by Summer 2020. Hopefully a touch earlier.

You may be on to something, here.

Marshall@COBB

Quick Reply: COBB Tuning - Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal