Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 12:45 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Hood looks crooked...do both doors open properly? If so I imagine you are ok. Air bags didn't deploy on my 17 and it was written off. Front was bent. Yours doesnt look as bad.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:15 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

AdamSanta85,

I wouldn't own my 2012 911 without specialty insurance living here in Los Angeles the way people drive and park these days. It's an "S" show to drive here! I lost my 2001 C4 in May of this year just parking my car outside of my garage for five minutes! I watched in horror as my neighbor backed into the passenger side door with his 2017 Audi SUV with all the technology (back up sensors and camera) and he still creamed the side of my P car! Due to the age and parts availability it was 20K in damage. I have Leland West specialty insurance and still do. It saved my backside. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:29 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming the value of your car is between $70-$80k, if the damages are over $35k, it may be totaled.

Is there $35k+ of damages? I believed so, the damages extend into the door, and into the window frame. The question of the day is if the suspension and frame damaged? If it is, then your car is 100% totaled. Sorry to hear about your accident. Beautiful car.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:00 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys, extremely helpful to me as I knew you would be. It’s my first ever real accident so it was a little scary for me. Last night I just could not get to sleep my mind was racing...I couldn’t understand how I wasn’t able to avoid the accident by braking hard, I wasn’t going fast. Then I realized, the guy wasn’t turning right he was turning left across two lanes and gunning it to avoid traffic in the opposite direction! The only reason his Prius ended up facing the same way as my car is because the impact pushed it around. Then I got some sleep!

Good news today, he accepted full responsibility, so all claims are on his insurance not mine. My premium should not be affected in the future.

Its quite a low value Carrera, as I bought the cheapest CPO I could find, I paid about $53k inc shipping, so I think that makes it more likely to be totaled. The other driver’s insurance is GEICO.

Also, 4 airbags deployed, driver and passenger sides, windshield is smashed and passenger door not opening. I looked at the car again today damage doesn’t seem really bad, so we will see. I am having it fixed, if that is the outcome, at an officially approved shop with a very good reputation. I will claim DV if it is repaired.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

My guess is, if the frame is bent or damaged, you are done. Totaled. Otherwise, it will be close but probably still totaled. Damage on these cars after closer inspection goes up significantly. (just that one headlight is $3500.) Sometimes they will try to repair it and then after they start repairs, the cost soars to twice the original estimate. Good luck. Glad everyone is safe.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:53 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 653 Posts

Just curious: in this type of collision, where another party accepts fault for serious damage to a "fun" car, can the owner make a claim for diminished fun for the duration of the process (repair or pay-out)?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Just curious: in this type of collision, where another party accepts fault for serious damage to a "fun" car, can the owner make a claim for diminished fun for the duration of the process (repair or pay-out)?
Yes, in the form of a rental Jeep Renegade or Chevy Malibu.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Well they put me in a Ford Fusion so no diminished fun here... 😡
Old 10-29-2019, 12:20 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's all that "new math" the kids are doing now, Adam:

Current car's market value = A
Repair bill (+ other) = B
dismantler est purchase price = 45-55% xA or C
If B close to C or slightly over then insurance rather total than deal with long term warranty from repair.
Is B > 65-75% of A = totaled
Modified
Old 10-29-2019, 03:03 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, you can make a claim. Then forget about wasting your time having done so. Some years back I rented through Relayrides, now called Turo, a Ghibli (yuk) and an M4 while my Audi RS5 was being repaired. Idea was they were comparable cars. Not a penny over $50/day did I receive.

Hope things turn out ok for you, sr5959.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:17 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
Well they put me in a Ford Fusion so no diminished fun here... 😡
I got a 5.0 convertible from Hertz compliments of State Farm when a guy backed into me at the gas station this summer.
Take it to Eurotech in Kirkland, they know these well and do excellent work if you end up having to get it fixed.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:24 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

TOTALED.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:34 AM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I got a 5.0 convertible from Hertz compliments of State Farm when a guy backed into me at the gas station this summer.
Take it to Eurotech in Kirkland, they know these well and do excellent work if you end up having to get it fixed.
I’m with State Farm, maybe I should’ve let them provide the rental. As the other driver’s insurance (Geico) is paying for everything on the claim I went with Enterprise who they like to work with. It’s fine, until this is settled just need transport.

It’s going to Queen City if repairs are needed they will take care of them, they are authorized Porsche bodyshop and they have a very good reputation.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
What year was that. I bet that was a l o n g time ago. And insurance law in CA is much different that the USA.
I live in MD and the 50% total rule use to apply as recently as 10 years ago, at least with my Insurance company. Today I believe it is 75%. The last time I had a serious accident was in 1993. The body shop repair manager was a friend of mine, and he did everything possible to convince the insurance company to total the car. He told me that there was no way that I would be happy to drive a car that had such extensive damage.Fortunately, he was successful and the car was totaled. I then started hearing horror stories about insurance companies low balling totaled car payouts. To my surprise I was given the retail value for my car, which make it easy to find a replacement, at no additional cost to me.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:03 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
I’m with State Farm, maybe I should’ve let them provide the rental. As the other driver’s insurance (Geico) is paying for everything on the claim I went with Enterprise who they like to work with. It’s fine, until this is settled just need transport.

It’s going to Queen City if repairs are needed they will take care of them, they are authorized Porsche bodyshop and they have a very good reputation.
Good choice, the only other shop I've heard of great work from, just haven't used them myself.

I have Geico and they've been good to me on one total payout of my e30 M3 back in 08, can I go back 11 years on DV, lol

Quick Reply: Is this totaled?