Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera T vs. Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 12:47 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 167 Posts

IMHO as a T owner, probably the biggest difference day-to-day is the suspension tuning. I still need to go through and figure out what (if any) parts are different between the T / Base / S, but the T suspension is tuned to be more lively - and I've confirmed this firsthand in back-to-back drives in other Base / S cars (including at PEC-ATL). I suspect this is primarily driven by SPASM damping rate maps, but only the development engineers really know :-)

SSK is an easy $500 bolt-on upgrade. Door pulls are a bit harder - but I think there's at least one person that's done that mod. T interior would be somewhat hard to retrofit. LW Glass should be a drop-in (if pricey). Everything else should be available on either the Base or the S.

Honestly though, they are all great cars - just drive a few - it will usually be obvious which one works best in your hands for your needs.

Good luck with the hunt!
The following 2 users liked this post by 911-TOUR:
Antoni0 (09-19-2020), S S (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 01:00 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Man, it just never fails...

Brownbear, here is a similar thread/title from last year:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...carrera-s.html

Good on you for asking. TL/DR (and who could blame you for 233 posts of some of that hijinks...): Using ß maths, it would cost you about 15k more to spec a "comparable" S. Now that the 991.2 run is over, much of that has been OBE. And 'comparable' is, of course, completely subjective here, as they are two different cars that just happen to look a lot alike.

I dropped the muffler on mine, but other than that it's as produced from the factory. I'm not even sure if I will pursue a tune at this point (although some guys are doing so and creating beasts!) as the car is absolutely awesome without it in my and many others opinions.

A large difference that hasn't been touched on yet, the only thing you gain with a PDK T is the bespoke T interior and glass, if the car even was spec'd with those. You lose the glass if you spec'd a rear wiper. Otherwise a PDK T is mechanically the exact same as a Base Carrera. The MT T provides you with the shorter ratios (taken from the higher HP Carreras with the larger turbo internals, such as an S) and a mLSD. It really has its own character with the makeup that Porsche created for only this car. One of about 2,000 on the world. Less if you are looking MT vice PDK.

Call it 'Short Stick Syndrome' or hype or marketing, or whatever you care to but the T really is that good. Listen to people who actually own the car. Read facts, not opinions or hyperbole. The combination of all the things that comprise a T makes for a lightweight, fun, individual car. If, and I mean if, there are a lot left on lots at this point and one is in the spec you like, pretty sure you'll be happy with it. And good for you, as that should also help you secure a great deal.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
seis-speed (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 01:39 AM
brownbear
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All, thank you for all the responses. Very helpful. Appreciate all the support/advise this forum provides.

I will be spending much more time test driving both the manual T and the manual S to make the final decision but a few follow-up questions for those that have driven both:
  • Is the T a significantly harsher ride than an S with the sports package?
  • Please do not judge me for mentioning another car brand but how does the ride of the T compare to a BMW M3 in terms of general ride comfort for a daily commute?
  • Is the T significantly louder than an S with the sports exhaust? I will on occasion want to take a call from the car.
Just to be clear, I am looking to purchase a 991.2 because I love driving manual transmission and having fun on open/winding roads. That is all very much the case. However, as I will be using the car as my daily driver, the above does warrant some consideration. Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:01 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Apples to apples on the T and S ride comfort. Both are PASM Sport height, same tires, and not enough weight difference to matter. Per above, there is possibly some difference in the T setup, which I believe, but my time in an S didn't allow me to do what I've subjected my T to. I'm happy with what I've got.

I've had a BMW. I'll never have another.

Take and make calls in my T all the time. For me, the reduced insulation provides more tire/road and gravel noise than engine noise. You can close the valves and reduce your revs if you need more quiet, but if the road is grooved or gravelly, you're going to hear it.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:03 AM
minh
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by brownbear
  • Please do not judge me for mentioning another car brand but how does the ride of the T compare to a BMW M3 in terms of general ride comfort for a daily commute?

I owned and daily drove an F80 M3 sedan with competition package for 2.5 years mostly in comfort and sport setting (20” wheels also). the Carrera T to me feels less harsh and crashy over rough road surfaces in all settings. not sure what it had to do with perhaps the slightly taller tire profile on the T vs the M3 (when i had snow tires on the M3 with OEM 19s instead of the competition package 20s it felt like and handled like i was driving on 4 balloons). both with Michelin Pilot Sports but the T has PS4s where the M3 had the super sports IIRC.
spyderbret (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 02:09 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 489 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by brownbear
All, thank you for all the responses. Very helpful. Appreciate all the support/advise this forum provides.

I will be spending much more time test driving both the manual T and the manual S to make the final decision but a few follow-up questions for those that have driven both:
  • Is the T a significantly harsher ride than an S with the sports package?
  • Is the T significantly louder than an S with the sports exhaust? I will on occasion want to take a call from the car.
Just to be clear, I am looking to purchase a 991.2 because I love driving manual transmission and having fun on open/winding roads. That is all very much the case. However, as I will be using the car as my daily driver, the above does warrant some consideration. Thanks again everyone.
I sold an F80 M3 to get the T, it will not be too rough or too loud at all. I could have it louder TBH. If you like a manual transmission on a winding road, you can't really go wrong with this model.
911's ride very well especially in Normal Mode, the Sports Exhaust flaps can be closed, so it can be comfy and quiet when needed.
S S (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 02:45 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

The PSE in my C4S 7M doesn't drone or aggravate. Even in the Florida summer heat I drive mine in "Sport" mode with the windows open to enjoy the sound as much as I can.

If you need to take/make a phone call, raise the windows, turn the A/C on and you will have zero issues hearing the call with the PSE on. I do it all the time. There's a thread on this forum in regards to the PSE and it was one of the most satisfying options that was selected by owners.

I've put 7500 miles on mine since I picked it up in January; Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Dragon's Tail, Cherohala and Blue Ridge Parkways and to the Barber PTX in Alabama.

All of those miles were in "Sport" mode (except for some really miserable South Carolina secondary roads which would have been a pain in any car) and the ride has been more than tolerable.

I drove a T when shopping and the dealer was keen to highlight the car but it wasn't the right combination. I was also set on AWD, which I've had on other vehicles, so the T didn't make the cut. Hence the C4S. One thing about AWD, when you ACCELERATE, the front end lifts and the car GOES, no drama or wheel spin, just the traffic shrinking in the rear view mirror.

Set down what you need to have, maybe should have, and what you can do without, go from there.

BTW, the Sport Chrono is worth the cost just for the rev match in the manual, wouldn't do without it.

Lastly, availabilty may be the deciding factor. Finding the "right" one led me to an ordered car. 991.2 production may be done. Check with a dealer soon if you're ordering.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 303 Posts

Why would anyone want an AWD 911 in Florida? I don't fully understand the all wheel 911 in general, but especially in warm climates.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ceepe:
AdamSanta85 (10-04-2019), K C (10-11-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

The only thing that could take me out out of the T was a GT3 manual.

Even then, on the street, the T is tuned just about perfect.

I drove the base, S, GTS Carreras. I wanted a narrow body car and I really liked the T over the S. There are big differences in feel, noise, etc.

I also kept things simple. Manual. No RAS. Car feels awesome. I did throw the glass sunroof in the car. Call it a mismatch but this is a summer car for me that never sees the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by ClassJ:
S S (10-04-2019), seis-speed (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 08:52 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Manual...

so might be a PDK thing, PDK's sell faster

I did a nation wide search a month ago on Autotrader and every new T available was pdk. The reason new Ts are available and sitting on lots is most people who buy a T want a manual in my opinion. Maybe the sales numbers over the past two years say otherwise?
The following 2 users liked this post by 737gdog:
K C (10-11-2019), S S (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:35 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Came from F80 M3 to manual RAS Carrera T. Have multiple GT cars. Drove base, S, and GTS. The T just feels different. Closest to it a GTS. Not sure if its the shorter ratios, short shift, or PASM tuning. but it feels "better". The T in a manual really is a sweet sweet modern throw back type car. With a simple tune and sport cats-you have a 500hp/500+tq, 3150 lb, rear drive manual 991 that goes like stink. As someone above wrote, the only move that would NOT be a lateral one, would be Gt3 Touring.
The following 4 users liked this post by rosenbergendo:
S S (10-04-2019), Sarawnty (10-04-2019), seis-speed (10-04-2019), zap city (02-07-2023)
Old 10-04-2019, 11:42 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Drove base, S, and GTS. The T just feels different. Closest to it a GTS. Not sure if its the shorter ratios, short shift, or PASM tuning..
1. The ratios are the same as the S/GTS

2. GTS and S w/SPASM are same suspension

3. The T is down 80hp to a GTS, a S is down 30.

4. The S has the same brakes as GTS (save for PCCB option)

Could be the short throw shifter... but that is also available on the other models, and costs $250.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 10-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Why would anyone want an AWD 911 in Florida? I don't fully understand the all wheel 911 in general, but especially in warm climates.
As you're not domiciled in Florida, it's likely you haven't experienced the rain and thunderstorms we get.

The standard 911 summer tires are optimized for the dry, the AWD gives an added measure of traction/safety in the wet and launching in all conditions. The AWD takes away some of the oversteer characteristics the RWD has but that OK for me (that's for the track and the more talented/aggressive drivers).

Porsche thinks that AWD has merits and offers it as standard in the 911 Turbo, Panamera GTS/Turbo, and all the Macans and Cayennes.

It's all about personal choice. I don't "get" why someone would put a PDK in a 911, but I understand why they do it.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
As you're not domiciled in Florida, it's likely you haven't experienced the rain and thunderstorms we get.

The standard 911 summer tires are optimized for the dry, the AWD gives an added measure of traction/safety in the wet and launching in all conditions. The AWD takes away some of the oversteer characteristics the RWD has but that OK for me (that's for the track and the more talented/aggressive drivers).

Porsche thinks that AWD has merits and offers it as standard in the 911 Turbo, Panamera GTS/Turbo, and all the Macans and Cayennes.

It's all about personal choice. I don't "get" why someone would put a PDK in a 911, but I understand why they do it.
Fair enough. My post sounded douche. I just meant it changes so much of what makes a 911 special, handling wise, but I hear ya. It's nice to have choices for different needs and desires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ceepe:
BSO (10-04-2019), miker2019 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Fair enough. My post sounded douche. I just meant it changes so much of what makes a 911 special, handling wise, but I hear ya. It's nice to have choices for different needs and desires.
Also, some prefer the looks of the wide body. I prefer NB cars overall but the wide hips have appeal.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera T vs. Carrera S