Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS or 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 11:06 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Different beasts for sure. I find the GTS to be a perfect blend of power and poise.

GT3 is glorious at redline but you won’t see that much unless you track a lot. And if you track a lot you’ll generally find a true track specific machine is even better than the GT3 both in fun as well as running costs.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

I think the OP needs to drive the GT3 quite a bit before deciding. Do you want to be driving around at 4500rpm regularly just so you are in the powerband? If yes, then that is the car for you. Take a .2 GTS for some longer drives and try normal and sport mode if PDK and see how the power delivery is. For me the PRK GTS is so easy to dry in all conditions. Around the city, keep in O. Want a lower gear at all times , then sport. On the track, sport or sport plus. I couldn’t comfortably daily drive a gt3. Now if I had room for 4 cars, I would have to choose.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:10 AM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
I think the OP needs to drive the GT3 quite a bit before deciding. Do you want to be driving around at 4500rpm regularly just so you are in the powerband? If yes, then that is the car for you. Take a .2 GTS for some longer drives and try normal and sport mode if PDK and see how the power delivery is. For me the PRK GTS is so easy to dry in all conditions. Around the city, keep in O. Want a lower gear at all times , then sport. On the track, sport or sport plus. I couldn’t comfortably daily drive a gt3. Now if I had room for 4 cars, I would have to choose.
It's definitely a concern that I would be chasing revs on the road and probably never really letting it stretch it's legs, which I don't think is good for a car. I could do more track days and it wouldn't be my only car, but the GTS is probably the more sensible / appropriate choice, which doesn't mean I won't get a GT3 of course... ;-)

I'll be trying the GT3 tomorrow, assuming the weather is ok.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

They are two cars that get very similar results but go about it in very different ways. The GT3 looks and feels race-ready with wings, scoops, etc. compared to the GTS that has a clean profile; the engines are also completely different in character - you get an extra 1,500rpm at the top in the GT3 but an extra 2,000rpm at the bottom in the GTS. It boils down to what you want from a car: that’s why there is no “better” one of the two until you’ve thoroughly examined your own priorities.

The most accurate summation that I’ve seen on RL is that the GT3 is a track car you can drive on the road and the GTS is a road car you can drive on the track. They are up there amongst the best cars you can buy, so try both then decide...
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
They are two cars that get very similar results but go about it in very different ways. The GT3 looks and feels race-ready with wings, scoops, etc. compared to the GTS that has a clean profile; the engines are also completely different in character - you get an extra 1,500rpm at the top in the GT3 but an extra 2,000rpm at the bottom in the GTS. It boils down to what you want from a car: that’s why there is no “better” one of the two until you’ve thoroughly examined your own priorities.

The most accurate summation that I’ve seen on RL is that the GT3 is a track car you can drive on the road and the GTS is a road car you can drive on the track. They are up there amongst the best cars you can buy, so try both then decide...
Someone on another forum said the GT3 is a road car you can use on the track and the GT3 RS is a track car meant for occasional road use.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Will this be mainly for streets and roads with speed limits? Will you need adjustable suspension for rough streets and roads? Or are you a track rat? Do you like luxury options not available on the GT3? These are some of the pertinent questions to ask yourself.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Will this be mainly for streets and roads with speed limits? Will you need adjustable suspension for rough streets and roads? Or are you a track rat? Do you like luxury options not available on the GT3? These are some of the pertinent questions to ask yourself.
That's why I think the GTS is the better choice, it's just that it's tempting to get a GT3 when the opportunity is there...

Primarily street use, probably almost daily, very occasional track use although I expect that to increase. That says GTS, but...
Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

To the OP.

Save some money, wait 6 months and get a. 2 GT3.

Obviously this is the car your heart desire!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by spooky69
That's why I think the GTS is the better choice, it's just that it's tempting to get a GT3 when the opportunity is there...

Primarily street use, probably almost daily, very occasional track use although I expect that to increase. That says GTS, but...
Try both on the same day. Make sure you drive them on different types of roads, traffic, bumpy, highway, streets etc... then ask yourself what you really want and how much you're willing to sacrifice to get it. Comfort? Racyness? exclusivity? money? having a ''cooler car'' ?

Finally make a list of how you're going to use the car with percentages. ie: track 10%, commute 75% weekend drives 15%

Then make up your mind, place the order, agonize while you wait for you car and enjoy :-)
Old 06-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I went through the exact same process at the start of 2019 in regard to a GTS versus a 991.1 GT3.

I visited a local dealer here in NC since they had a 991.2 GT3 and a 991.2 S to test drive. I was planning to buy a 991.1 GT3 but thought I'd get a feeling for the GT3 by driving the 991.2 GT3. The GT3 was a PDK and the S model was a 7 speed manual. The car I had the hots for was the GT3 based on pure aesthetics. The car was white and was just gorgeous with unique wing, front facia, etc. We had recent snow and both cars were outside which meant the sales person had to clean off the snow on the GT3 and was real reluctant to even let me drive the car, but I persevered and I ended up driving both cars that day.

The first car I drove was the S model with manual. The torque band started about 2800 rpm and pulled hard all the way up to redline. I know many speak about turbo lag, but being an ol fart, I couldn't detect any issue with the responsiveness, balance, etc, of the car. The manual trans actually blew me away in terms of how nice it was.

I then drove the GT3 and in a word, it is a race car. If you drive the car like an old man (that's me) I found the PDK to not be as smooth when shifting at a higher engine RPM. Driving the car in local traffic the engine seems to lug unless you brought the RPMs up to 4500 to 5000 RPMs.. Car also road hard on the street and you also heard a lot of road noise. However, when you wound it up, it was pure perforce magic.

I have a close bud who owns a 2006 Cayman S and he drove each of the two cars after I did and we shared the same impressions of the 2 cars...
  • The GT3 is a race car that you can drive on the street... period. It's place, where one can expect it to shine, is on the track.
  • The manual transmission in the S was simply outstanding, along with the wonderful torque curve, comfort, etc.
Given that I would never race the car on the track and would be used as a pleasure vehicle, the GTS (manual trans) was the closest I could come to having a GT3 that would be livable on the street.

One other point to consider... racing a car on the track can be expensive in terms of tires, brakes, broken parts, etc. Maybe someone here can chime in and give you an idea of the cost of running a GT3 / GTS on the track. Good luck with the chase of your dream car... it's a big part of the fun. There is no wrong choice!!!

Last edited by Thor's; 06-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

To me it comes down to two main differences. It is Naturally aspirated vs Forced injection engines and Manual Transmission with clutch vs PDK.
Both are very personal choices. I know you can have MT and PDK in any of the two, but to me though in a NA car I do not see me driving a PDK and in a turbo car I do not see me driving a stick. Because of that for me it was easier to make my decision. Like I said I ended up with w TTS and do not have any regrets. I may get a 6sp NA GT3 one day to complement my TTS though as those 2 are very different cars.
If you have those preferences defined, chose your engine/transmission choices and go from there. If you want NA powered car, since the only NA choice in the current 911 line-up is a GT3 guise it make the decision easy.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1148...n-580-2-a.html
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 PM
spooky69
Racer

Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 388 Posts

Impressive.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 274 Posts

GTS all day everyday. GT3 overrated for street (track only place for GT3), and the engine warranty is 10 years from original in service date, which for some is already 6+ years gone, meaning 4 years left.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS or 991.1 GT3