Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS or 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019 | 02:32 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by spooky69
I saw that video - really impressive.

The .2 GTS has a lot going for it, with the PCM and various creature comforts probably making it the obvious choice for general road use, and it might be best to go that way and then maybe go for the .2 GT3 in due course. The sound of the GT3 engine near the redline was wonderful though and the whole experience of driving it was quite mechanical and thoroughly engaging (which isn't to say that the GTS was not engaging as it absolutely was - just very different).
That's the point. It depends on how your ego gets fed. Or not.

If you have a GT3 Porsche guys will ooohhh and aaahhh. Nobody else will care much.

I had a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, and while it was fun to say "I own it" it was not "usable". I had to worry about it. Be super careful about dips in the street so I didn't take the front end off. Had to counsel people on how to get in and out of it. Keeps the miles low. Screw that. I don't regret it, but it wasn't the smartest use of my time and money.

Every GT3 owner will of course defend their purchase decision and I would expect that. I have a 991 GTS. I missed having a MT 997 so much I decided to buy another one just last week. I really wanted the GT3, could afford it, but the great fact is I don't want to have my rear end pucker if I put a bunch of miles on it. The noise and track-oriented suspension, clutch etc is a negative for MY driving. Traffic and potholes are a nightmare here in California. I mean really?

So I bought a mint 2012 GTS 6 speed w/ 20k miles, put a warranty on it, and a clear bra. And plan to DRIVE IT and USE IT. The GT3 would be more of an "event" to drive, but it would be a weekend car. I want going to work to be an event, too. Creature comforts matter. The GTS suspension is amazing and as stiff as I'm ever going to need. Same for power. I'm no longer doing track days. And I wouldn't have taken the Stradale to the track anyway.
Old 06-18-2019 | 05:37 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
That's the point. It depends on how your ego gets fed. Or not.

If you have a GT3 Porsche guys will ooohhh and aaahhh. Nobody else will care much.

I had a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, and while it was fun to say "I own it" it was not "usable". I had to worry about it. Be super careful about dips in the street so I didn't take the front end off. Had to counsel people on how to get in and out of it. Keeps the miles low. Screw that. I don't regret it, but it wasn't the smartest use of my time and money.

Every GT3 owner will of course defend their purchase decision and I would expect that. I have a 991 GTS. I missed having a MT 997 so much I decided to buy another one just last week. I really wanted the GT3, could afford it, but the great fact is I don't want to have my rear end pucker if I put a bunch of miles on it. The noise and track-oriented suspension, clutch etc is a negative for MY driving. Traffic and potholes are a nightmare here in California. I mean really?

So I bought a mint 2012 GTS 6 speed w/ 20k miles, put a warranty on it, and a clear bra. And plan to DRIVE IT and USE IT. The GT3 would be more of an "event" to drive, but it would be a weekend car. I want going to work to be an event, too. Creature comforts matter. The GTS suspension is amazing and as stiff as I'm ever going to need. Same for power. I'm no longer doing track days. And I wouldn't have taken the Stradale to the track anyway.
I guess in the same way that a GTS driver will defend their purchase decision - everyone comes to their decision for their reasons and then wants that to be the 'right' decision, and it is, for them. I assume you tried a GT3?

The purchase price would be about the same for the GTS and GT3, so I'd think depreciation shouldn't be a concern and the GT3 shouldn't be worse than the GTS. Whichever I choose is being bought to be driven.
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:00 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

I guess in the same way that a GTS driver will defend their purchase decision - everyone comes to their decision for their reasons and then wants that to be the 'right' decision, and it is, for them. I assume you tried a GT3?
The purchase price would be about the same for the GTS and GT3, so I'd think depreciation shouldn't be a concern and the GT3 shouldn't be worse than the GTS. Whichever I choose is being bought to be driven.
Interestingly, the 991.2 GTS is a second faster on the Nordschleife than the 991.1 GT3, on Porsche factory team production cars. I want a GT3, but when i think about the way GT3 rides and its lack of options that are on my must have list, i am happy. My 991.2 C2S Endurance Racing Edition with X51 PowerKit is just as fast, and is luxurious compared to any GT3. Next, i may add a wing, for the look it needs. Put on a Stage 1 or 2 tune, and see that GT3 in your rearview mirror.
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:23 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

It's funny how most people judge cars on their performance on the Nurburgring achieved by pro test pilots. This means very little to most car enthusiasts, as most of them will never be able to achieve a result close to that. The bottom line is test drive the cars, pick the one that makes most sense to you and makes you feel good and enjoy.
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:30 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Interestingly, the 991.2 GTS is a second faster on the Nordschleife than the 991.1 GT3, on Porsche factory team production cars. I want a GT3, but when i think about the way GT3 rides and its lack of options that are on my must have list, i am happy. My 991.2 C2S Endurance Racing Edition with X51 PowerKit is just as fast, and is luxurious compared to any GT3. Next, i may add a wing, for the look it needs. Put on a Stage 1 or 2 tune, and see that GT3 in your rearview mirror.
If I went for the GT3 I don't think it would be about outright performance. There's something visceral about it. I think that I'm still more likely to go for the GTS.

The GTS certainly has tuning potential, as do all of the turbo engines (there have been some serious results from tuning the T).
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:31 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by rockrdude
It's funny how most people judge cars on their performance on the Nurburgring achieved by pro test pilots. This means very little to most car enthusiasts, as most of them will never be able to achieve a result close to that. The bottom line is test drive the cars, pick the one that makes most sense to you and makes you feel good and enjoy.
I agree - it's about how it makes you feel. I'm not going to see that one second improvement on the 'Ring. ;-)
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:59 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

For me I wanted a manual. The GT3 clutch isn't what I want in L.A. traffic. Same with the suspension. And the front end of a GTS is already low enough. I've had that experience and now I want to relax. Frankly my 991.1 GTS is kind of slow feeling at low RPM's. My 2012 feels more visceral. But it's a stick.
Old 06-18-2019 | 10:57 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

If I went for the GT3 I don't think it would be about outright performance. There's something visceral about it. I think that I'm still more likely to go for the GTS.
The GTS certainly has tuning potential, as do all of the turbo engines (there have been some serious results from tuning the T).
The GT3 is extremely visceral on streets and roads, to the extent that some GT3 owners i know shy away from PCA and other fun car events in Orlando area if they have to travel on the 20 some miles of I-4 under heavy construction through Orlando that is chewed up and rough all the way. I enjoy driving that in light and fast evening traffic, because the ride on mine is more adjustable and can be set to be more compliant.
On mine , I just press the PDCC button and SPASM switches between comfort and sport level that is determined by my Sport Chrono setting. Mine always corners flat because of the PDCC but is much more comfy on rough pavement and on brick streets, with the SPASM settings determined by the PDCC button On or Off and the Sport Chrono setting (0, I, S, or S+). GT3's have more limited suspension and engine and engine/transmission assembly settings.
Old 06-19-2019 | 09:33 AM
spooky69
Racer

The GT3 is extremely visceral on streets and roads, to the extent that some GT3 owners i know shy away from PCA and other fun car events in Orlando area if they have to travel on the 20 some miles of I-4 under heavy construction through Orlando that is chewed up and rough all the way. I enjoy driving that in light and fast evening traffic, because the ride on mine is more adjustable and can be set to be more compliant.
On mine , I just press the PDCC button and SPASM switches between comfort and sport level that is determined by my Sport Chrono setting. Mine always corners flat because of the PDCC but is much more comfy on rough pavement and on brick streets, with the SPASM settings determined by the PDCC button On or Off and the Sport Chrono setting (0, I, S, or S+). GT3's have more limited suspension and engine and engine/transmission assembly settings.
PDCC is definitely a feature that I would like to have on the GTS. RAS as well.

I tried a GT3 in my home town where I know the roads very well and I have driven various cars and bikes over the years. I took it along a variety of surfaces and country lanes and I thought it was perfectly manageable in terms of suspension on the rough stuff. I reckon I could live with it but I don't doubt that the GTS is a better choice on a number of levels.

It might simply come down to which car happens to be available that represents the best value. There are some very nice GTS available in the UK at the moment for quite reasonable prices, with more coming onto the market (I believe a lot are coming from Porsche GB Fleet). There are also quite a few GT3 at similar prices, but I think I'd be getting more for my money with a GTS.

Depreciation I would expect to be similar as either car would get driven and not stuck in a garage.
Old 08-12-2019 | 09:01 PM
spooky69
Racer

I hate when a thread is left without a conclusion… And I nearly did it!

I found a lovely 991.2 GTS and I’ve been thoroughly enjoying it.

Black, 9k miles, 2 owners, registered 01/2018 and with the following specification:

Exterior
LED main headlights in black including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
Headlight cleaning system covers painted in contrasting exterior colour
Side skirts painted

Transmission / Chassis
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Power steering Plus
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) including PASM sports suspension (20 mm lower)
Rear-axle steering

Interior
GTS interior package
Adaptive cruise control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
Lane Change Assist
Speed limit display
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
Light design package
Heated multifunction steering wheel
Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)
Smoking package

Audio / Comm.
Burmester® High-End Surround Sound-System

It had a few things I wasn’t bothered about but I was happy with the deal. For some reason launch control has only been used once... I took that as s good sign.

I’m going for a drive through Europe and when I get back I’m having it detailed and protected with some PPF and then a track day is booked.

Very happy so far and my only minor annoyance is that I didn’t get one years ago.

Having said that, I can see a 991.2 GT3 in my future. I’d also love something old school if they were more affordable. I recently stumbled across a shed full of them and got a very close look at a 911R - such a shame you can’t get those for retail!
Old 08-12-2019 | 09:07 PM
Thor's
Racer

Congrats and enjoy your road trip!!!
Old 08-12-2019 | 09:22 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

If you like road trips the GTS is far superior, if you like track time the GT3 is better. I recently sold my GT3 T and took delivery of an identically specified GTS and I could not be happier.

Last edited by dsddcd; 08-13-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:07 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

And your GTS is faster that a 991.1 GT3. I'd add a wing and never miss not having GT3.
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:14 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

And your GTS is faster that a 991.1 GT3. I'd add a wing and never miss not having GT3.
Not a big **** fan but I do like the GT3’s suspension so I purchased a set of tractive dampers and GT bars. Thought I would miss the brakes but the stock steels are great. Ran a few sessions to test out the car and there was zero fade or issues!
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:16 PM
garfunkle
Banned

If you want a visceral racecar experience for the street then get a manual cayman with no options and install Ohlins coilovers, IPD Plenum, GT3 TB and numeric shifter with cables. Even in base trim, this combo will feel more "raw" than any newer GT3. If you want more sound then add an exhaust/headers and you still have enough money left over for a nice CPO 991.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS or 991.1 GT3