Sponsored by:

Bike Roof Rack that Works

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 11:57 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Bike Roof Rack that Works

Bought two 1up roof racks for my car. Really like how it looks. Slim and black. It holds very tight and easy to put the bikes on and off. I put two small silicone dots so the metal does not vibrate (no noise).

i only have one installed because I’m going to the track on Monday and need to remove roof rack.

this is the best bike roof rack I could find.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (07-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks nice. How is the wind noise? Any reason you did not go with the flush mounts (T-slot)?

I have their bumper hitch version on another car and its great. However,I went with the RockyMounts Brassknuckle on the 911 and it is just bulky and loud. Mistake.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

I found these Rocky Mounts as the most low profile and quietest. Also they are available in tons of colors and relatively inexpensive, but you do have to take off the front wheel which I prefer. I feel that it's more aero and stable.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
Looks nice. How is the wind noise? Any reason you did not go with the flush mounts (T-slot)?

I have their bumper hitch version on another car and its great. However,I went with the RockyMounts Brassknuckle on the 911 and it is just bulky and loud. Mistake.
After adding the silicone dots I don't hear a thing. All the other roof racks had large arms. This folds completely flat. I didn't want to remove tire and mount with fork.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Joec500
I found these Rocky Mounts as the most low profile and quietest. Also they are available in tons of colors and relatively inexpensive, but you do have to take off the front wheel which I prefer. I feel that it's more aero and stable.

This looks great. I didn't want to remove the front tires because I didn't want to set in the back sit. Mount bike tires are larger and more dirt. I also didn't want to take drop the forks on the roof. My road bike is super light and would be easier to get in, my mount bike has the through axle. Much harder to hold bike and get the through axle through. I think they are great solution. But if you are looking for a tray system, light, sleek and does not touch the frame, the 1Up works great.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I use the sea sucker. It works great even with glass sunroofs.

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (09-03-2020)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
This looks great. I didn't want to remove the front tires because I didn't want to set in the back sit. Mount bike tires are larger and more dirt. I also didn't want to take drop the forks on the roof. My road bike is super light and would be easier to get in, my mount bike has the through axle. Much harder to hold bike and get the through axle through. I think they are great solution. But if you are looking for a tray system, light, sleek and does not touch the frame, the 1Up works great.

Yah I mountain bike too! I use Mavic Wheel bags to keep dirt out of the car and I have a thru axle adapter, so it's not much an issue for,

Something similar to this.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/mavic-m...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Bigskyinminnie
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go

Bought two 1up roof racks for my car. Really like how it looks. Slim and black. It holds very tight and easy to put the bikes on and off. I put two small silicone dots so the metal does not vibrate (no noise).

i only have one installed because I’m going to the track on Monday and need to remove roof rack.

this is the best bike roof rack I could find.
What height bolt size did you go with when ordering? Wondering if a flush mount can be used with the Porsche bars. Guessing the bars have a T slot? I'm in the dark as don't pick up my 991.2 4s until Tuesday along with the roof bars. Also was hoping to convert my hitch 1up racks to roof but being told not possible. Thank you!!!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:16 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

I went with the flush mount (not exactly flush), it mounts to a bracket. Works well with T-slot on the Porsche bars. You do have to cut the rubber T-Trac cover if that bothers you. The low profile hardware will probably work the best if you don’t want to do the flush mount option.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 373 Posts

Another fan of the Seasucker mounts. No crossbars to mount and i can have it on and off in 10 mins. Once you get over the paranoia of it coming loose, it's awesome.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Bigskyinminnie
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks really clean!!! I'll go that route and likely cut the rubber stripping as well. Thank you for the photo!!
Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I use the sea sucker. It works great even with glass sunroofs.

Indeed, the Sea Sucker works great! I've used it in on a 981, a 718S and a 991.2.

Jason
Old 08-17-2019, 10:58 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

I would definitely go with the sea sucker if I was transporting mostly road bikes with standard fork mounts. However, in the new age of thru axles, boost spacing, blah blah....I cant keep up with all the fork adapters for mine and friends bikes. Need something that mounts the whole bike so I don’t have to think about it.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:27 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

I use the Thule Upride Roof Bike Rack with the factory roof bars - see profile picture. Holds solid over 90 mph!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This thread highlights the only buyer's remorse I have with buying a cabriolet. I would love to take my 911 for some of my mountain bike rides, but instead I'm "stuck" in my V10 Touareg for those trips. Too bad my wife doesn't recognize this as justification to add a 911 coupe (maybe an older one in Safari form?) to the fleet.

Quick Reply: Bike Roof Rack that Works