new pads, but rotors as well ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:47 PM
taylora
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new pads, but rotors as well ?

hi
when the car was in for a service recently was told that the pads are nearing the end of life, can't say i'm surprised, pretty sure they are what came with the car and they have got 32k on them now including a couple track days.
i've got a track day booked in a few weeks and dont want to run out of brakes after the first session, though one of my more carefree suggested running until i hear metal on metal and just replacing pads and disks after that. but sounds a little harsh.

looking at the attached does anyone have an opinion (hey this is the internet after all) about if just the pads or the disks as well. the disks are a bit rusty in the pics as had not been out for a week or two but its soon cleared off after an italian tune up.

there doesn't seem to be much of a lip on the rotors and have aged rather well. i'm sort of assuming that the pads will bed into any grooves if used suitably.

rears https://photos.app.goo.gl/TqZpoq72yzbSZweK9
front https://photos.app.goo.gl/9L7YCev9s96qf7SX8

thanks in advance.

front disk and pad

rear disk and pad
Old 05-10-2019, 11:51 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I would buy a set of track pads to put on for the track. Then put your stock pads back on and finish using the stock pads and rotors up. My local dealership will only change pads with rotors which is what I think they all try to do. It is insanely expensive for them to do this and not worth it in comparison to other options. Swapping the pads is easy, and you can save ALOT of money doing yourself. Depending on how many track days you plan on doing, I would consider buying the AP Racing rotors from Essex and a set of track pads. Then putting your stock pads on for the street.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:31 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've resurfaced the rotors on my 987.2 S before putting a new set of pads on them. just make sure you have enough thickness to do so. Any good brake shop can resurface crossdrilled rotors for about $15-20 a pcs
Old 05-10-2019, 12:32 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

^^^ This.

Your pads look totally fine for a LOT more street miles. They're only 1/2 used up. Either go to the track with them and use them up in a few days there, or swap to track pads and then come back home and put the street pads back in for a while. You do NOT need new rotors until the wear marker is showing the need to replace. Dealerships LOVE to replace rotors and pads together. That's BS most of the time.

Last edited by mgordon18; 05-10-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

PCA requires at least half of the pad material remain to pass tech inspection. I would do the track pad solution and use your OEM pads up on the street. I understand the other problem with worn pads for the track is their ability to absorb and dissipate heat effectively. Overheated pads wear more rapidly apparently. Someone confirm or correct my info. It would be a drag to have your track day cut short over this. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
PCA requires at least half of the pad material remain to pass tech inspection. I would do the track pad solution and use your OEM pads up on the street. I understand the other problem with worn pads for the track is their ability to absorb and dissipate heat effectively. Overheated pads wear more rapidly apparently. Someone confirm or correct my info. It would be a drag to have your track day cut short over this. Good luck.
==^ This. Once pads get to 50% they'll be done-done before the end of the next track day and you'll probably need brown pants when you experience the result.

Get the caliper (Tarrett ?IIRC?) stud kit(*) so that you don't wear out the threads in the wheel carrier from caliper removal and then swap track pads-in.

Last, whenever you swap pads, new rotors or not, always, always, always re-bed them before hitting the road.

(*) There is at least one PCA region that will not tech a 991 without caliper studs rather than the OE bolts. FWIW.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

Dealer trying to sell extra service. Don’t change until sensor lights come on. Change rotors every other pad change.

For track, follow advice of others above.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m a tech inspector for PCA. Your rotors are fine. Rotors usually fail by developing heat cracks radiating inward and outward from the drill holes. I can’t see any cracks on your rotors. Track pads will last much longer than OEM pads and will have a lot more “bite”. Unfortunately it is not that easy to swap them back to OEM for street use because the calipers have to come off, and because of the caliper bolt issue mentioned above. Your OEM pads may not last you a full day depending on driver experience level. At a minimum I would get new OEM pads and preferably track pads. Dealers are notoriously bad at giving advice on this.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 PM
taylora
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hi
thank you everyone for the advise, really is most helpful and appreciated.
to be honest i dont have the time or space to swap over the pads myself, and given i only do one or two track days a year which always seem to be more social days than anything too competitive, so plenty of tie to call down or get a passenger ride or two. i think i'll get the pads changed over so don'r have any probs on the day.

there is a good independent garage in our village so i'll ask them to put in some new OE pads rather than pestering the main dealers.

thanks all
Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

My dealer advise me to change the rotors and pads at 10k mike street driven by an older gentleman. I laugh and ask him how much is PCCB rotor and pads estimate? He said only about $10-12k. I kindly decline his advise.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:23 PM
TimboCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I've seen worse on cpo 911's on the lot.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
==^ This. Once pads get to 50% they'll be done-done before the end of the next track day and you'll probably need brown pants when you experience the result.

Get the caliper (Tarrett ?IIRC?) stud kit(*) so that you don't wear out the threads in the wheel carrier from caliper removal and then swap track pads-in.

Last, whenever you swap pads, new rotors or not, always, always, always re-bed them before hitting the road.

(*) There is at least one PCA region that will not tech a 991 without caliper studs rather than the OE bolts. FWIW.
In my experience, OEM bolts will strip the wheel carrier threads in 6-8 pad changes irrespective of proper torquing. The carriers were not designed for multiple changes but rather for street driving which would probably last 150k miles under normal street use. Personally, I have seen two caliper bolts fail at the track by becoming loose and no longer being able to torque down. I think the
PCA region may be a bit conservative for first time drivers and may very well have the unintended consequence of creating an impediment to entry for the newbie. For those that track regularly, studs are the only way to go to be safe and preserve the wheel carrier.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
In my experience, OEM bolts will strip the wheel carrier threads in 6-8 pad changes irrespective of proper torquing. The carriers were not designed for multiple changes but rather for street driving which would probably last 150k miles under normal street use.
Good info for new folks that have yet to hear of this issue.

I think the
PCA region may be a bit conservative for first time drivers and may very well have the unintended consequence of creating an impediment to entry for the newbie.
I don’t know the specifics. “No-studs-no-tech” was relayed in a casual conversation. I would expect exemption for 1st-timers like is often the case for FEs (in regions where that’s still a thing.)

Quick Reply: new pads, but rotors as well ?