Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand Controls on 991.2 (Paraplegic driver)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019 | 06:21 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Default Hand Controls on 991.2 (Paraplegic driver)

I am a wheelchair user, and have hand controls fitted to my 991.2 C2. I have always enjoyed driving, and possibly my enjoyment only increased when in 1999, an old rugby injury caught up with me, and I ended up as a wheelchair user. Since then I have had a variety of different cars to which I had hand controls fitted, these include Audi A6 Avant 2.8 (still got as it doesn't owe me a penny any more and is the family mover), Mini Cooper (with the CVT gearbox, which was interesting...until the gearbox gave up on my wife...), VW Scirocco (for those of you in the States, this was basically a VW Golf GTI in a fancy frock), and now my dream car, my new to me 2018 C2.

There are a variety of different types of hand controls available, including rings on the wheel and the like. I have always gone for the same basic system, where a lever is attached to the steering column, and then using rods and cables connected to the pedals, the lever is simply pulled upward towards you (or the steering wheel) to accelerate, and press down, away from the wheel to brake. It is very intuitive, and I have "taught" several other wheelchair users how to operate them. Generally if someone has ridden a motorbike, then they are used to controlling speed with their hands and the process takes 2 minutes, otherwise it takes 5 minutes. Yes, it is quick, and you do have (potentially more) control over accelerator and brake. I haven't done a track day with the Porsche yet, but I did do one with Audi, and I ended up being the quickest person on every session...

I have put some photos and some (poor) videos below. I will try fixing a camera better so the movements can be seen better, and get a video of me driving over one of the local mountain passes (i know, but someone has to do it...!). But I am always happy to give information out about hand controls. Many people were like me, who initially thought I could not drive anymore, and ended up being very depressed at the thought, but then regained my independence by fitting hand controls and driving has become even more important than ever. Not only does my disability disappear when I drive, and I am just another driver, on the road, but when you have had several months of enforced lack on independence and being a passenger, I cannot properly explain the significance of being able to drive oneself again.

Hand control the the right hand side of steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (01-03-2024)
Old 04-23-2019 | 11:22 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

That's pretty cool stuff. And obviously very liberating to be able to get out and drive yourself around.
Old 04-23-2019 | 12:24 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
Old 04-23-2019 | 12:25 PM
VegasJeff
Intermediate

Quite possibly the coolest thing I've seen all week and for sure the most inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

I've seen many vehicles (mostly trucks) outfitted with a wheelchair lift, usually in the truck bed or on a trailer hitch. Is it safe to assume you also fit some sort of a portable wheelchair in your 911 for when the ride is over?

I have a very good friend who uses a wheelchair. I plan on forwarding this thread to him.
Old 04-23-2019 | 11:28 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Very cool. But did they have to move your steering wheel to the wrong side to install the controls?
Old 04-23-2019 | 11:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting, as I had asked you to share. A good friend has been thinking about doing such a conversion and I sent him the link to this to show it can be done to such a car, and enjoyed as well!
Old 04-24-2019 | 05:17 AM
Dissol
Advanced

I will set up a video and show how I get into the car, and then disassemble my (manual) wheelchair (it is very quick, with quick release wheels, etc). I then pass the wheels and frame over my lap and store them in the rear of the 911. If people are travelling with me then the folded frame and wheels can (just) fit in the front, although it is tight. I have had 2 wheelchairs and 2 paraplegics in the car for a 1000mile run.

Certainly anyone who uses a wheelchair, or has limited mobility in their legs does not have to stop driving.
The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (01-03-2024)
Old 04-24-2019 | 07:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Very very cool. I love it. Thanks for posting this. Best post of the week!
Old 04-24-2019 | 08:46 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

I just saw this the other day on hand controls...

Old 04-24-2019 | 09:18 AM
Bud Stoner
Advanced

You are an inspiration to the world! God bless. Bud
Old 04-24-2019 | 09:44 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dissol
I will set up a video and show how I get into the car, and then disassemble my (manual) wheelchair (it is very quick, with quick release wheels, etc). I then pass the wheels and frame over my lap and store them in the rear of the 911. If people are travelling with me then the folded frame and wheels can (just) fit in the front, although it is tight. I have had 2 wheelchairs and 2 paraplegics in the car for a 1000mile run.

Certainly anyone who uses a wheelchair, or has limited mobility in their legs does not have to stop driving.
Agree, but driving a hand control equipped van and 911 are very different...he will love to see if can be done to the latter.
Old 04-24-2019 | 10:14 AM
Dissol
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I just saw this the other day on hand controls...

Link
Thanks for the link to the video; very interesting; the guy in this video drives a manual, which shows anything is possible. I drive the PDK...because it is a better gearbox...(ducks!).
Old 04-24-2019 | 10:36 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Deleted
Old 04-24-2019 | 10:53 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

I have a co-worker who has a 911 with hand controls. I reached out to him for some pics of his setup and he had actually posted them here years back. Here is the link to that thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-seen-4.html
Old 04-24-2019 | 06:30 PM
wesley_willis
Track Day

This is so cool! Have these controls become more prevalent/easier to drive with modern drive by wire systems?

Super happy you're able to experience this type of freedom while driving! Good for you

Quick Reply: Hand Controls on 991.2 (Paraplegic driver)