Sponsored by:

991.2 SharkWerks Exhaust - input

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
A post that reminds me that the recent 500 Abarth had no muffler at all...just the turbo and catalyst. And it sounded great.
Reminded me of the Dodge SRT-4 back in the day.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
agree with everything said here, but to be very clear, sharkwerks is actually one of the more reputable folks offering .2 exhausts at the lowest prices around. With the discount they are offering you are getting a PSE switchable exhaust for 1700. Your point would apply better to things like akra or kline.

And considering how many horror stories we read about fitment here, i would say u still wanna go with reputable brands with these bolt on parts.
You have a point with it only being 1700 bucks and the akra/kline is a rip off.. I guess if you're cheap or strapped for cash and looking for sound this is the way to go... But how did you afford a 100-150k car?

However, I'd argue that the 1700 dollar piece is still an overpriced cheapo product.

One poster above bought and is selling his sharkwerks (what a name lol).. Why? He mentions that all so important drone... Essentially you're replacing the masterpiece OEM PSE muffler for a cheapo 1700 dollar part which still costs them 50 bucks in material. Drone is the worst thing to have. It ruins the driving experience, ruins listening to music, phone calls, and conversations with your passengers.

Not a self brag, but I and many many others are running headers + bypass pipes/high flow cats with OEM PSE.. Zero drone. Yes, Z-E-R-O drone. All the while making big, noticeable gains in sound, HP/TQ, and quicker spooling turbos for a better driving experience. In normal mode with PSE off my car runs almost silent like stock inside the cabin under normal driving... One click of a button and the beast awakens... No drone.

What's the point of this post? Save your damn money and don't ruin your 911. I hope people read this and make the right choice. Buy cat deletes or high flow cats. Don't buy this crap.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Disregard, wrong thread...

Last edited by Randy M; 05-16-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
You have a point with it only being 1700 bucks and the akra/kline is a rip off.. I guess if you're cheap or strapped for cash and looking for sound this is the way to go... But how did you afford a 100-150k car?

However, I'd argue that the 1700 dollar piece is still an overpriced cheapo product.

One poster above bought and is selling his sharkwerks (what a name lol).. Why? He mentions that all so important drone... Essentially you're replacing the masterpiece OEM PSE muffler for a cheapo 1700 dollar part which still costs them 50 bucks in material. Drone is the worst thing to have. It ruins the driving experience, ruins listening to music, phone calls, and conversations with your passengers.

Not a self brag, but I and many many others are running headers + bypass pipes/high flow cats with OEM PSE.. Zero drone. Yes, Z-E-R-O drone. All the while making big, noticeable gains in sound, HP/TQ, and quicker spooling turbos for a better driving experience. In normal mode with PSE off my car runs almost silent like stock inside the cabin under normal driving... One click of a button and the beast awakens... No drone.

What's the point of this post? Save your damn money and don't ruin your 911. I hope people read this and make the right choice. Buy cat deletes or high flow cats. Don't buy this crap.
Hi Psorcery (I do like the name...), I figured since you are speaking for us I would have to unfortunately barge in a bit and correct some misconceptions about what/how and why in terms of our exhaust. First of all I agree the stock PSE system is indeed close to being a masterpiece. I think for a factory sounding modern turbo car it's a great option indeed. Sounds brilliant IMHO. Having said that we've had several of our customers request a more aggressive sound that maintains the factory style valves/switch functionality all at the same time as being legal in California (and just about any place you can think of) without the possibility of causing check engine lights and/or the necessity for a warranty-breaking tune. So here we are... I'm not sure if you're in the exhaust manufacturing business but I can tell you that 50 bucks in material would buy you about one and a half pre-made flanges in the USA. Even if you were using overseas / slave labor you'd be hard pressed to have the stainless steel, flanges, brackets, twin exhaust valves, hardware, boxes, etc... support/instructions and in small runs for anywhere close to that. The cost to design, support, sell and pay people here is also something you have to consider. Nobody works for free either. We make our stuff here locally in California (albeit a very expensive process and state) but even just shipping any of these parts to our shop would be well over $50. To give you an idea each exhaust valve of this quality is about $130 (you can find much cheaper valves on Ebay etc. but they aren't servicable or as relaible). We don't use slave labor. We pay California labor rates (and everything that encompasses) so that we get what we believe is a higher quality standard that we can indeed put our name on.

No it's not rocket-science I agree. It's just customization, personalization and/or something a few of us like to do. It's not for everyone. We made this because it was requested. I would say your idea of ruining the factory sound/tune/set up by slapping cheap cat bypass pipes (also not legal in any state/country) would still cost more than that $50 but at what cost to the environment? Who has kids and wants to fire up a car that was designed to run clean and with cats to suddenly poison the garage and everyone around you all for 20hp? Maybe it's worth it to some but again it's not legal. It causes CELs and well it's just not part of our philosphy. I understand people have choices and we all don't need to agree and that's fine.
The following 5 users liked this post by sharkster:
jimjoe997 (05-13-2021), Levrac68 (11-21-2019), mglane83 (07-28-2019), MichaelKlein (02-08-2022), wireless200 (12-25-2020)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

^^^ This. Good on you for defending your practices and keeping it real. I'm already a customer, but would have been based on your response. Thanks, Alex.

The following users liked this post:
mglane83 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

This is going to turn out to be like the Header thread....
F1SML8R (08-27-2020)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

We pay California labor rates (and everything that encompasses)
Yep only in Kalifornia where we pay $12 hr minimum wage and pay $13 hr minimum to flip a burger at In&Out Nice to see Sharky here commenting =)

BTW- Alex, my wife loves the HRE FF01 you guys installed on her 2012 Cayman R a while ago, she still wants to lower it though btw, checking if the Bilstien guys got back to you about it?

Charles-

Last edited by 2010panny4S; 05-16-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hi Psorcery (I do like the name...), I figured since you are speaking for us I would have to unfortunately barge in a bit and correct some misconceptions about what/how and why in terms of our exhaust. First of all I agree the stock PSE system is indeed close to being a masterpiece. I think for a factory sounding modern turbo car it's a great option indeed. Sounds brilliant IMHO. Having said that we've had several of our customers request a more aggressive sound that maintains the factory style valves/switch functionality all at the same time as being legal in California (and just about any place you can think of) without the possibility of causing check engine lights and/or the necessity for a warranty-breaking tune. So here we are... I'm not sure if you're in the exhaust manufacturing business but I can tell you that 50 bucks in material would buy you about one and a half pre-made flanges in the USA. Even if you were using overseas / slave labor you'd be hard pressed to have the stainless steel, flanges, brackets, twin exhaust valves, hardware, boxes, etc... support/instructions and in small runs for anywhere close to that. The cost to design, support, sell and pay people here is also something you have to consider. Nobody works for free either. We make our stuff here locally in California (albeit a very expensive process and state) but even just shipping any of these parts to our shop would be well over $50. To give you an idea each exhaust valve of this quality is about $130 (you can find much cheaper valves on Ebay etc. but they aren't servicable or as relaible). We don't use slave labor. We pay California labor rates (and everything that encompasses) so that we get what we believe is a higher quality standard that we can indeed put our name on.

No it's not rocket-science I agree. It's just customization, personalization and/or something a few of us like to do. It's not for everyone. We made this because it was requested. I would say your idea of ruining the factory sound/tune/set up by slapping cheap cat bypass pipes (also not legal in any state/country) would still cost more than that $50 but at what cost to the environment? Who has kids and wants to fire up a car that was designed to run clean and with cats to suddenly poison the garage and everyone around you all for 20hp? Maybe it's worth it to some but again it's not legal. It causes CELs and well it's just not part of our philosphy. I understand people have choices and we all don't need to agree and that's fine.
This whole post sounds like corporate jargon and the last part is quite hypocritical.

If you care so much about the environment, why do you make exhaust components that contribute to extra air and noise pollution? Please don't go there and pretend like you give a crap. Your entire operation hurts the planet and your precious commy Kalifornia air.

Your exhaust;

A. Does not make 21hp as claimed on your website. Liars.
B. Causes ricey drone.
C. Cheapens the car.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

ive been hesitant to change my PSE because of drone from aftermarket mufflers... if sharkwerks has drone thats a hard pass for me, i think i will just look to soul cats as my upgrade instead
Old 05-16-2019, 10:07 PM
DvD5
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Whoa there!

This whole post sounds like corporate jargon and the last part is quite hypocritical.

If you care so much about the environment, why do you make exhaust components that contribute to extra air and noise pollution? Please don't go there and pretend like you give a crap. Your entire operation hurts the planet and your precious commy Kalifornia air.

Your exhaust;

B. Causes ricey drone.
C. Cheapens the car.
Calm down, Psorcery. You have presented no facts to back up your assertions in A through C. On the other hand, Sharkwerks (a well known and well respected shop) has presented before and after dyno runs to demonstrate the 21hp max gain. There is only one review that states the existing drone is more pronounced with the SW exhaust--this is very subjective and my stock exhaust has quite a loud drone around 1800 RPM. How does this cheapen the car?

I'll take my "precious commy Kalifornia air" any day. Air pollution in the US is at levels far below that of 50 years ago (1960s-1970s) in spite of many more cars. Go to Bejing for a few weeks if you want to feel the effects of no regulation! I've been there.
The following 2 users liked this post by DvD5:
Levrac68 (11-21-2019), MichaelKlein (02-08-2022)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Your exhaust;

B. Causes ricey drone.
C. Cheapens the car.
I don't have horse in this race but from what I've seen and watched online, Sharkwerks is well respected and imo they sure to do fantastic work and upgrades on P cars. Making posts such as your's is why many shops choose not to engage in comments here on RL. Why come after someone simply because you don't care for a product they make? Some sort of axe to grind perhaps? I don't get it. And if you really care

F1SML8R (08-27-2020)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Your exhaust;

B. Causes ricey drone.
C. Cheapens the car.
It seems that way to you and that's why you're entitled to stick to having your cat delete pipes which you can't possible compare in terms of pollution (emissions) as a muffler replacement that continues to use the factory cats. You're removing the main emissions equipment when doing so - there's a massive change by doing so. I'm certainly ambivalent about creating more noise if not used in a responsible manor. Personally I tend to be respectful around other traffic or houses in remote areas that are quiet. I think and hope a lot of our customers are too.

a) it was recently independantly tested & dyno'd by a shop we've not worked with and if you want to call them liars (if you're into conspiracy theories I guess whatever floats your boat)...Reducing back pressure on a turbo on the exhaust side is a very easy way of making horsepower.
b) you've not ordered or heard it but again...
c) I'd argue that a cheap, illegal, CEL causing cat delete pipe does just that so we can agree to disagree.

I wasn't really intending to post on here but you are making incorrect statements that are just plain wrong about our company or how the production of an exhaust works. Just because you have a keyboard and can use I can only assume from your other posts/threads that you do not have much experience in manufacturing of exhaust parts and/or customer service. I see from your other posts you like to bad mouth, critique many other vendors so I don't take it personally. I'm not sure what your agenda is (do you make headers, cats, deletes or know or work with someone that does?) but I think if you would have ever contacted us in the past about an exhaust system for your needs/car we would have most certainly steered you away from anything that we make or sell and understood that you have some other needs/requirements. We're not twisting arms. If folks like it and they sure seem to on here then we're happy.
The following 3 users liked this post by sharkster:
F1SML8R (08-27-2020), Levrac68 (11-21-2019), MichaelKlein (02-08-2022)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:22 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not gonna get into the whole argument about how aftermarket parts actually improve performance again, had plenty of fun in the header discussions. But i have to point out the fallacy in your posts.

First you argue that ALL aftermarket exhaust parts are created equal, and there's no point buying them from overprice manufactures, and specifically says "They all sound the same and the hp gains are negligible". Which i very much agree, and points out this is actually the most reasonably priced vendor that offers .2 exhaust mods.

But here you are calling me cheap for considering the most reasonably priced product? I'm a little lost. First you told me THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. Then you are saying im cheaping out by buying the thing that offer the same benefit (which you clearly stated in your post) for lower price? Yes i spent 150k on my car, but that doesn't mean i would go out and buy up all the expensive **** in the world for no reason.

I think to better articulate your argument FOR YOU, what you are trying to say is options like cat delete or sport cat should have more improvement on a 991.2 than a exhaust swap, both in terms of sound and performance.

On that point, i don't disagree. But like I have mentioned this in the past, if you do any sort of research you will learn that catalyst converters actually make a HUGE difference in terms of emissions. A cat delete car vs car with cats is pretty much like comparing a gas car vs electric car. I have considered sport cats though, but do not want to deal with emission inspection hassles down the road cuz im in CA.

Great talk though, instead of dropping random disses and just spewing out ****, maybe you can try articulating a proper argument next time. I mean, we are not 12 year olds anymore.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I don't have horse in this race but
Doesn't stop Psorcery from polluting various threads......

Header thread .....flashbacks
F1SML8R (08-27-2020)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Yep only in Kalifornia where we pay $12 hr minimum wage and pay $13 hr minimum to flip a burger at In&Out Nice to see Sharky here commenting =)

BTW- Alex, my wife loves the HRE FF01 you guys installed on her 2012 Cayman R a while ago, she still wants to lower it though btw, checking if the Bilstien guys got back to you about it?

Charles-
Hi Charles, aye still around. Just more grey hair and? So glad she likes it! The R is under-appreciated. Fun/balanced platform and enjoy seeing them still once in a while. Unfortunately yes Bilstein is _still_ out of stock on just about every porsche coil over. We finally started getting 964 coil overs so that's a start lol?!

Quick Reply: 991.2 SharkWerks Exhaust - input