Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 09:32 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda
Sounds similar to my situation. They parked the car in a customer lot.

And what was the outcome of that?
Well that day they drove the car back to detail 3 times to clean the gray interior they got grease on (door panels, steering wheel, floor mat, etc. The service manager offered to wash the car but I felt like that might lead to more damage. I cleaned the rest of the issues up myself.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Well that day they drove the car back to detail 3 times to clean the gray interior they got grease on (door panels, steering wheel, floor mat, etc. The service manager offered to wash the car but I felt like that might lead to more damage. I cleaned the rest of the issues up myself.
Smart thing to do.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

The crappy thing for me was that friends with GT3's and RS's that used that dealer seemed to get their cars back without a smudge.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:50 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Smart thing to do.
Lesson learned indeed.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda
Do Porsche certified body shops mean anything? The shop they’ve contracts isn’t but it seems like they do a lot of exotics.

Certified shops would cost 2-3x more so I feel they would push back on that.
Most certified shops should do work that's at least average, and some truly excel. When my wife's E400 got dinged on the rear bumper we selected a shop certifed for MB, Porsche, and Tesla. And claimed to use factory paint brands (which might match and age like the stock paint). I was impressed when I toured the shop, both equipment and the organization on the shop floor.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:32 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

respray and make sure they dont report it to carfox (which they usually dont) and be on your way :-)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:02 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everybody who chimed in. Will report back once I get an update.

Last edited by Honda; 05-25-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 AM
Bud Stoner
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A letter to the dealer that starts "Please be advised that I represent Mr. XXXXX on the below mentioned matter" would help...………….
Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the dealer keeping a car 8 days for an oil change. As a many decade owner of 911s, I never had my car at a Porsche dealership for more than 24 hours. The vast majority of times I drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the evening. There is one thing I always insist on however, and that's a careful internal and external inspection by the service manager of my car upon arrival at the dealership and before I leave the dealership. This protects both the dealership and me.
Glad I'm not the only one who keyed on this. 8 days for an oil change? Jeez, should be same day. I had my Cayenne back in less time than that and they did a whole engine / front subframe / front suspension / transmission out job!

Also, as others have said, respray will not do anything to future value. It's difficult to measure there and won't be on carfax. Plus, if it's your forever car, why are you worried anyway?
Old 04-29-2019, 10:29 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Alright Im not going to read every post here.
Im just going to tell you something...

They do not put Paint Gauges on the bumper...(where you really,really dont want a respray is the body and that will cost you $$$)
Respray the thing at a porsche certified body shop, drive it, enjoy it.. trade it in...

If for some reason anyone asks, you got repair order from authorized repair center.

THE END

No diminished value, I bet ton of owners here driving CPO porsches have no IDEA the bumper was already resprayed

Oh and CPO allows for respray to an extent...

NOW EVERYONE WITH CPO PANIC I BET YOUR CAR HAS HAD A BUMPER TOUCHED UP

lol
Old 04-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The only problem with a bumper respray is matching the orange peel on the rest of the car.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:53 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

New cars arriving on the lot got touchup respray all the time. From the factory to the dock, to shipment, to arrival and loading on the truck, these cars are prone to nicks and scratches. How do you think Porsche and dealers handle it ? Show me one car that gets rejected and get blacklisted and NOT to be sold on the lot.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

The rear bumper on my 911 had port damage and was resprayed prior to being delivered to the first owner (I'm owner #3 or 4). It's honestly not that big of a deal.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Alright Im not going to read every post here.
Im just going to tell you something...

They do not put Paint Gauges on the bumper...(where you really,really dont want a respray is the body and that will cost you $$$)
Respray the thing at a porsche certified body shop, drive it, enjoy it.. trade it in...

If for some reason anyone asks, you got repair order from authorized repair center.

THE END

No diminished value, I bet ton of owners here driving CPO porsches have no IDEA the bumper was already resprayed

Oh and CPO allows for respray to an extent...

NOW EVERYONE WITH CPO PANIC I BET YOUR CAR HAS HAD A BUMPER TOUCHED UP

lol
Yes, I am pretty sure the CPO guidelines allow for 3 panels to be repainted. My car had 1. I specifically asked about paintwork when I was buying the car, they told me it had none. I got down there and metered the car myself, it had paint work. I bought the car anyway. Now I have since sold that car, but will be looking for no paintwork cars from here on out.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Obsessing over virgin paintwork made sense when factory paint wasn't total garbage. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the repainted panels outlast the paint on the rest of the car.

IMO a lot of the money people put into films would be better socked away in an interest-bearing account to pay for a future respray. The taboo against respraying cars really needs to go away.

Quick Reply: Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)