Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

A bumper respray is going to have no impact on value and I am all about original paint. You can't really paint meter a bumper, unless you have a $3k meter to do it with. No dealer is even going to check for that. What buyers like me want to know in a situation like that is that it was not an impact, it was simply something that happened at a dealership. Provide the pictures when you are selling the car and disclose the information and no buyer should care at all. They should be happy that they are getting fresh new paint.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:02 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the dealer keeping a car 8 days for an oil change. As a many decade owner of 911s, I never had my car at a Porsche dealership for more than 24 hours. The vast majority of times I drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the evening. There is one thing I always insist on however, and that's a careful internal and external inspection by the service manager of my car upon arrival at the dealership and before I leave the dealership. This protects both the dealership and me.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

They damaged your bumper and they are responsible and should fix it. Asking them to repaint your front too is a bit of a stretch because they did not damage it. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask - the worse that can happen is they tell you to **** off.

Over the years I have learned that "brand" and expectations matter little in the car dealer industry. I have had great service and experiences with crappy car brands and lousy service and experiences with premium brands.

You need to temper your expectations. If you expect dealer service to cater to you just because you bought the car there to service it, think again. They will fix what they broke, and they will look to make a profit from every car that enters their service bay.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
A bumper respray is going to have no impact on value and I am all about original paint. You can't really paint meter a bumper, unless you have a $3k meter to do it with. No dealer is even going to check for that. What buyers like me want to know in a situation like that is that it was not an impact, it was simply something that happened at a dealership. Provide the pictures when you are selling the car and disclose the information and no buyer should care at all. They should be happy that they are getting fresh new paint.
I agree with all of this.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Yes, it does.
It sucks when any dealer , especially one that sells $100k cars, tries to hide a mishap. It's not the brand and sometimes not the dealer instead it's the people in the service department that think it's ok, just part of the risk of doing service. Hold them responsible for what they did.

I’ll push for respray of the rear plus the front bumper (on my dime). I think that’s more than reasonable. Thoughts?

Last edited by Honda; 05-25-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:16 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

A lot of folks thought leaving a car with any shop is a very secure and safe environment. However, those are the last place on earth you want to have your car there especially for an extensive 8 days. If you think they treat your precious Porsche with white glove care, you'll be in for a surprise.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Agreed. And it still can be that forever car with nicely painted front and rear bumpers.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:09 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Agreed. And it still can be that forever car with nicely painted front and rear bumpers.
Do Porsche certified body shops mean anything? The shop they’ve contracts isn’t but it seems like they do a lot of exotics.

Certified shops would cost 2-3x more so I feel they would push back on that.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda
Do Porsche certified body shops mean anything? The shop they’ve contracts isn’t but it seems like they do a lot of exotics.

They would definitely use OEM parts, but I would say that these shops may be more important on a more major repair.

I would want to go where other people have had good results. I have went to an Audi certified shop before for a respray and the job was not done all that well. I would rather trust a shop that has extensive history dealing with high end cars.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Whenever I have traded in my Porsches, the dealer only really cared about the metal panels being repainted. Many times the dealer respray the bumpers as dealer prep before re-selling them.

I wouldn't sweat it to much.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
They damaged your bumper and they are responsible and should fix it. Asking them to repaint your front too is a bit of a stretch because they did not damage it. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask - the worse that can happen is they tell you to **** off.

Over the years I have learned that "brand" and expectations matter little in the car dealer industry. I have had great service and experiences with crappy car brands and lousy service and experiences with premium brands.

You need to temper your expectations. If you expect dealer service to cater to you just because you bought the car there to service it, think again. They will fix what they broke, and they will look to make a profit from every car that enters their service bay.
that’s a fair point. Will ask for respray of the rear plus the front bumper (on my dime). I think that’s more than reasonable. Thoughts?

Last edited by Honda; 05-25-2019 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joec500
Whenever I have traded in my Porsches, the dealer only really cared about the metal panels being repainted. Many times the dealer respray the bumpers as dealer prep before re-selling them.

I wouldn't sweat it to much.
Thanks. I’m just worried about the quality of the job.

Last edited by Honda; 05-25-2019 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda

Go to a shop that knows Porsche cars so you only have to do it once.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

IMO once Porsche dealers started working on sedans and SUV’s, things took a turn for the worse.

A few years ago I spent the weekend detailing a car. It looked awesome. On Monday it went from my garage to the Porsche dealer for an oil change and a few other minor service things. I had a good relationship with the dealer. They know that I keep my cars clean and garaged.

They left the car outside for 2 days. When I picked it up it was in the same lot that customers park in parked among their cars. One of those days it rained. It came back covered in dirt, water spots and bird droppings that etched the roof in the sun the second day.

They looked at me like when I was an alien when I expressed my displeasure.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ClassJ
IMO once Porsche dealers started working on sedans and SUV’s, things took a turn for the worse.

A few years ago I spent the weekend detailing a car. It looked awesome. On Monday it went from my garage to the Porsche dealer for an oil change and a few other minor service things. I had a good relationship with the dealer. They know that I keep my cars clean and garaged.

They left the car outside for 2 days. When I picked it up it was in the same lot that customers park in parked among their cars. One of those days it rained. It came back covered in dirt, water spots and bird droppings that etched the roof in the sun the second day.

They looked at me like when I was an alien when I expressed my displeasure.
Sounds similar to my situation. They parked the car in a customer lot.

And what was the outcome of that?

Quick Reply: Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)