Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Honda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)

Hate for this to be my first post.. but I'm hoping to get feedback from the group on recourse/next steps that I should take.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/CGuSpW3

I recently purchased my first Porsche, a 2012 991 C2S, and brought it to a local Porsche dealer for an oil change last week. The dealer had possession of the car for 8 days and it was parked outdoors during this time.

Unfortunately, I didn't do a full walkaround of the vehicle as a customer was entering the service bay. When I returned home, I found a very deep 1.5" gouge on my rear bumper along with a faint 2" clearcoat scratch (running in the same direction). I returned to the dealership and showed the damage to my SA who agreed to repair the bumper at one of their body shops.

There's evidence that someone attempted to fix it by sanding (note the horizontal sanding marks isolated in that area). When I arrived to pick up the car, I was told that my car would be ready in "5 minutes" as it was being washed. I ended up waiting over an hour for a simple wash, so I definitely suspect foul play.

My concerns:
- diminished resale value due to bumper respray (especially given the rear bumper) and potential to show up on a PPI or Carfax as rear damage reported
- quality of repaint (durability, orange peel, overspray, etc.)

Personally, I'm a stickler for OEM/factory paint and my rear bumper is mint otherwise, so I want to avoid a respray if possible but given extent of the damage... I'm not sure if there's another option.

Dealer proposed the following options:
- Respray
- or Touch-up the bumper instead and a check for the respray cost ($500)
- Leave as is and they would throw in some maintenance items (belt replacement, door panels lifting)

What would you do in my shoes? Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by Honda; 04-28-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 137 Posts

Seems like you're concerned about diminished value for the rear bumper respray and yet want to have your front bumper resprayed... That's a little weird.

When it comes down to it, bumper resprays happen ALL the time and there is no diminished value for it, and they don't get written up in the CARFAX unless insurance gets involved. It would have to be reported to CARFAX somehow, and I doubt the dealer's going to do that for a simple bumper scratch.

Your situation sucks in that it's taking up your time and it shows poor car handling and judgement on the part of your dealer, but other than that, take the repair and any freebees they want to give you and drive off without worry.

Last edited by mgordon18; 04-27-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Have the dealer respray the bumper and be done with it with little worry about your future resale value. Worry more about a relationship with a dealer who's less than forthright with their client base. I'd get the work completed and find another dealer.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Sucks, and damages not just the car but your expectations from the dealer.

I would have both bumpers resprayed at the best paint shop you can find, and send the bill for the rear to the dealer. $500 might not be enough, so do not settle yet.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:51 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Get the bumper resprayed. It happens a lot and won't hurt the resale. I know they were not forthright but asking them to paint the front too on their dime is a bit unnecessary.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:00 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Going through this right now with my Range Rover.

They are fixing monday morning. I noticed the damage after leaving the lot. The moment I arrived back at my office.

I called and told them. No hesitation. I’m sorry Mr. Superdog. We will fix it for you. As if it was perfect. No argument. No pushback. No hesitation.

Clearly, they knew. They were hoping it would take me a day or so. Maybe I would have thought it happened in a parking lot or something.

Annoying, to say the least. But whatever. Life is short. Lesson learned tough. Check before I go. New rule.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Looks like something made impact and then scratched the paint moving from one direction to another vs. sanding marks.

But sucks none the less.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:40 PM
fappds
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know how frustrating it can be when the dealer damages your car during service, I had it happen to me with my Maserati gt s, they damaged a rear wheel and attempted to cover it up by a very poor repair, the wheel was a completely different color and they got over spray all over my paint, the worst part they denied it at first, finally it was resolved after 6 months with the help of north America Maserati and fortunately a new service manager at the dealer, nice to see that your dealer is taking responsibility for it, im not surprised, Porsche dealers are for the most part very honest, let them fix it and forgive and forget, trust me it's not worth getting upset over, this is the new norm of the world, less and less attention to detail is used in everything these days.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:04 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Seems like you're concerned about diminished value for the rear bumper respray and yet want to have your front bumper resprayed... That's a little weird.

When it comes down to it, bumper resprays happen ALL the time and there is no diminished value for it, and they don't get written up in the CARFAX unless insurance gets involved. It would have to be reported to CARFAX somehow, and I doubt the dealer's going to do that for a simple bumper scratch.

Your situation sucks in that it's taking up your time and it shows poor car handling and judgement on the part of your dealer, but other than that, take the repair and any freebees they want to give you and drive off without worry.
Only because 95% of our cars have rock chips on the front end, especially given the waterbased paint, so a front respray is not too uncommon.

I was on the market for one only a month ago, and believe me.. many buyers would avoid cars with any repairs or respray to the rear because they assume the worse (rear end collision) and there are so many clean examples popping up that it’s not worth the risk.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:07 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Looks like something made impact and then scratched the paint moving from one direction to another vs. sanding marks.

But sucks none the less.
Under the right lighting the micro scratches are fairly visible - pics 1 and 4.

It does look like someone tried to sand it out without polishing afterwards.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Get the bumper resprayed. It happens a lot and won't hurt the resale. I know they were not forthright but asking them to paint the front too on their dime is a bit unnecessary.
I suspect it was a junior tech or detailer who caused it and tried to cover it up miserably. I’m a weekend warrior detailer and those marks certainly look like they’re from a 2000 grit sandpaper. The fact that they attempted to cover it up pisses me off.

If I decide to choose the respray the rear bumper then any incremental cost for the front should not be too expensive. I’d be willing to bear the cost for the additional paint and labor but I expect them to reinstall the front bumper (Lots of hardware to disassemble vs the rear). Does that sound reasonable?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 AM
Honda
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Sucks, and damages not just the car but your expectations from the dealer.

I would have both bumpers resprayed at the best paint shop you can find, and send the bill for the rear to the dealer. $500 might not be enough, so do not settle yet.
I didn’t want to press them given that I found out after I got home.. but I think at the very least they should be willing to honor a respray at a shop of my choosing?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - the $500 option (cost of respray to them) is ONLY available if I choose to have the bumper touched up, which is not acceptable to me given the depth and size of the gouge..
Old 04-28-2019, 01:18 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

That sucks and I understand what a pain in the neck this is for you.

Get it fixed by a shop you choose - and if you decide to choose a "Porsche authorized" body shop in the area (https://www.porschecollisioncenter.com), then definitely go that route and I can't imagine the dealer would refuse. Otherwise, I'd pay for it out of my own pocket rather than get a substandard repair because the dealer insists on saving a few bucks by using the cheapest place in town. My money is on the dealer doing the right thing.

Also, it's not the end of the world - it's just a scratch, not an accident, so just keep all the paperwork describing the repair in case you ever decide to sell or trade it. If it's a quality repair then it really won't matter and your honesty about it will.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default door panels

If they offered to do the door panels lifting under warranty take that as it is worth 5k. A bunper respray is 1k. I would have them do that as well at the same time but pay out of pocket. paint on these cars is 3 mils thick and damages if you look at it. After paint dries get wrapped ppf.

Originally Posted by Honda
Hate for this to be my first post.. but I'm hoping to get feedback from the group on recourse/next steps that I should take.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/CGuSpW3

I recently purchased my first Porsche, a 2012 991 C2S, and brought it to a local Porsche dealer for an oil change last week. The dealer had possession of the car for 8 days and it was parked outdoors during this time.

Unfortunately, I was unable to do a full walkaround of the vehicle as a customer was entering the service bay. When I returned home, I discovered a very deep 1.5" gouge on my rear bumper along with a faint 2" clearcoat scratch (running in the same direction). I returned to the dealership and showed the damage to my SA who agreed to repair the bumper at one of their body shops.

There's evidence that someone attempted to fix it by sanding (note the horizontal sanding marks isolated in only that area). When I arrived to pick up the car, I was told that my car would be ready in "5 minutes" as it was being washed. I ended up waiting over an hour for a simple wash, so I definitely suspect foul play.

My concerns:
- diminished resale value due to bumper respray (especially given the rear bumper) and potential to show up on a PPI or Carfax as rear damage reported
- quality of repaint (durability, orange peel, overspray, etc.)
- lack of support from Porsche NA as I bought the car out of state and from a non-porsche dealer

Personally, I'm a stickler for OEM/factory paint and my rear bumper is mint otherwise, so I want to avoid a respray if possible but given extent of the damage... I'm not sure if there's another option.

Dealer proposed the following options:
- Respray
- or Touch-up the bumper instead and a check for the respray cost ($500)
- Leave as is and they would throw in some maintenance items (belt replacement, door panels lifting)

I'm not willing to accept either of those options. And frankly, it's a slap in the face given the severity of the damage and on the rear bumper nonetheless. However, my front bumper is peppered with rock chips so I'm thinking of having the front bumper resprayed as well on their dime or maybe an extended warranty (currently at 45k miles) as fair compensation.

What would you do in my shoes? Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda
I suspect it was a junior tech or detailer who caused it and tried to cover it up miserably. I’m a weekend warrior detailer and those marks certainly look like they’re from a 2000 grit sandpaper. The fact that they attempted to cover it up pisses me off.

If I decide to choose the respray the rear bumper then any incremental cost for the front should not be too expensive. I’d be willing to bear the cost for the additional paint and labor but I expect them to reinstall the front bumper (Lots of hardware to disassemble vs the rear). Does that sound reasonable?
Yes, it does.
It sucks when any dealer , especially one that sells $100k cars, tries to hide a mishap. It's not the brand and sometimes not the dealer instead it's the people in the service department that think it's ok, just part of the risk of doing service. Hold them responsible for what they did.

Quick Reply: Dealer Damaged Rear Bumper (evidence of cover up)