Sponsored by:

Dash pad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 PM
mgvrmark
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash pad?

Recently bought 2013 C2, coupe, Dark Blue with Luxor Beige standard interior. The top of the dash is beige and on a sunny day, it reflects in the windshield -- truly awful! Has anyone installed an aftermarket dash pad to reduce/eliminate the reflection? Looks like DashMat is a popular brand, they offer various materials (suede-like, velour, etc) but some of their materials look rather thick, and not very tailored -- although I haven't found a photo of one in an actual 911 yet. Does anyone ahve a DashMat? Like it? Which material?
Ideally, I'd like something very thin, what we used to call "mouse fur", just enough to cover the forward part of the dash that causes the annoying reflection.
I did a search of this forum but didn't find info on aftermarket dash covers/pads.
Advice appreciated ...
Old 04-24-2019, 11:03 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 673 Posts

Did you get your sunglasses money?

http://www.dashboardglareclassaction.com/index
Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Polarized sunglasses are your friend.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Are you sure you searched?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9754...ut-anyone.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9392...indshield.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...for-glare.html

Search using Google as well and let us know what you do.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:45 AM
mgvrmark
8th Gear

No, I just purchased the car in January. Too late for the class action, which states "Claims under this Settlement for the reimbursement of polarized sunglasses must have been made by September 21, 2017"

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Did you get your sunglasses money?

http://www.dashboardglareclassaction.com/index
Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 AM
mgvrmark
8th Gear

Thanks Bob, I had found the first two but not the third. But so far (including those threads) I haven't heard from anyone who actually purchased and installed an aftermarket dash pad on their 991. The first two threads recommend polarized sunglasses (I knew that, but I dislike glasses especially on cloudy days), or dying the leather (I'm not willing to do that, besides it may not totally solve the problem). A few people speculate about a dash pad on a 991, but apparently haven't actually done it. The third thread you mention is the most informative, even though they're talking about the 928. I might try to make my own cover, very thin, of black alcantara.

But I wish I could find someone who actually purchased, installed, and is using a commercially-available dash pad in a 991 to hear how they like it, it is too bulky and cheap looking, any problems with it sliding off, and does it completely solve the problem. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. And maybe there are no 991 owners here who have done this.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Another option is to get a custom one made, at least for the forward part of the dash, in Black leather and there is a place that can probably do it for you. Then you would simply glue it down, as Porsche does on some interior places:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1080...ve-option.html
Old 04-25-2019, 10:48 AM
MCM
6th Gear

I have same issue with beige dash. The reflection is so bad at times it makes the driving experience not worth owning the car. I purchased a $40 dash cover from
DashCare by Seatz Manufacturing. A company in Anaheim California.

This cover has solved the problem. The cover is well made, fits very well and has all the cutouts for the vents and/or sensors. The cover comes with adhesive/velcro which I did not use. I just lay the cover out. No adhesive, It stays put except for the edges near the window which flap up when windows are down.

A dash cover (any type/manufacture) is not going to look as good as the dash itself. But this cover solves the problem. I don't leave it in the car all the time, it can go in and out with little effort. Much like the effort of putting a windscreen in and out.

There is still a tiny reflection of the vents and speaker grills as they are exposed thru the cover cutouts. You have to actually look for the reflection to see it, if you don't look for it you don't notice it. I have thought about replacing the vents and speaker covers with black ones to completely eliminate the glare but so far not a priority.
$40 well spent
Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 433 Posts

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en

For $48 bucks for the suede mat it might be worth a go.

I have one on my old VW because the dash is trashed and love it.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM
mgvrmark
8th Gear

MCM and CSK, THANKS! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out those two sources. The DashCare one might be perfect for me, since I rarely drive with the windows open.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:14 PM
MCM
6th Gear

Dashcare provides 4 different materials you may select from. I choose the velour because the description stated that velour stayed flat and formed better to the complicated surfaces.

Good luck, I believe you will be pleased.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgvrmark
MCM and CSK, THANKS! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out those two sources. The DashCare one might be perfect for me, since I rarely drive with the windows open.
Make sure you post pics after you get it so we see how it looks, etc.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Kevin Campbell
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MCM
Dashcare provides 4 different materials you may select from. I choose the velour because the description stated that velour stayed flat and formed better to the complicated surfaces.

Good luck, I believe you will be pleased.
What color dashboard mat did you choose was it beige like the interior or another color..
Old 10-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Murphjup
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell
What color dashboard mat did you choose was it beige like the interior or another color..
Old Thread I know....

Anyone have a picture or Purchase a Dashcare Dash Pad?

TIA!

Old 06-11-2024, 06:19 PM
1rolls
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mgvrmark
Recently bought 2013 C2, coupe, Dark Blue with Luxor Beige standard interior. The top of the dash is beige and on a sunny day, it reflects in the windshield -- truly awful! Has anyone installed an aftermarket dash pad to reduce/eliminate the reflection? Looks like DashMat is a popular brand, they offer various materials (suede-like, velour, etc) but some of their materials look rather thick, and not very tailored -- although I haven't found a photo of one in an actual 911 yet. Does anyone ahve a DashMat? Like it? Which material?
Ideally, I'd like something very thin, what we used to call "mouse fur", just enough to cover the forward part of the dash that causes the annoying reflection.
I did a search of this forum but didn't find info on aftermarket dash covers/pads.
Advice appreciated ...
I ordered a carpeted dash cover from DashCare by Seatz Mfg, and it had hard creases in it. I contacted them and sent detailed pictures. They’re response was to send me a link on how to install it. It was very poor quality and could not get the hard creases out of the dash pad. It’s stiff like cardboard! absolute waste of money…I'd also add...they say you can't install on a dash that has been treated with any protectant (Armour All, 303, turtle wax, etc.) this is only mentioned in the installation instructions that come with the stiff, cheap cover (this is nothing like a carpet...more like cardboard), that comes stuffed in a small box. So unless you've owned the car since new, and never treated your dash, the velcro won't stick! Please save yourself the head ache and hassle of dealing with these clowns because once you order it, they will not stand behind it….they make you pay, original shipping, return shipping, AND a restocking fee…so you’re better off throwing it in the trash! And that is where it belongs.

Quick Reply: Dash pad?