Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CT Owners: where to turn off Power Steering Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts
Default CT Owners: where to turn off Power Steering Plus?

The local (Fairfield) dealer refused claiming liability-based restrictions.

Porsche should be embarrassed about this system and twice as ashamed about preventing its disablement.

My other cars have hydraulic steering racks and I feel this is the single biggest weakness of the 991.1 platform.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Try another dealer as many here have paid to do so, about 1 hour labor.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The local (Fairfield) dealer refused claiming liability-based restrictions.

Porsche should be embarrassed about this system and twice as ashamed about preventing its disablement.

My other cars have hydraulic steering racks and I feel this is the single biggest weakness of the 991.1 platform.
At the main diagnostics menu, there is a button on the bottom row, hover over it and it shows "addt'l menu" click that, then click on "Maintenance of Vehicle Data" and once at this terminal use the f12 button to move through the menus until the "Z" menu, then scroll down, down, down until you find "Speed Sensitive Steering" you unselect that, you will also need to unselect "ServoTronic" steering and enable "Standard Power Steering" from the same list. Then click next in the lower right corner and "Save" the options. Voila done.

OH, it's also possible to update the steering software to the 991.2... as me how I know! I have a piwis II. It is possible.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (05-11-2022)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:03 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by iWrenchmy911
At the main diagnostics menu, there is a button on the bottom row, hover over it and it shows "addt'l menu" click that, then click on "Maintenance of Vehicle Data" and once at this terminal use the f12 button to move through the menus until the "Z" menu, then scroll down, down, down until you find "Speed Sensitive Steering" you unselect that, you will also need to unselect "ServoTronic" steering and enable "Standard Power Steering" from the same list. Then click next in the lower right corner and "Save" the options. Voila done.

OH, it's also possible to update the steering software to the 991.2... as me how I know! I have a piwis II. It is possible.
Nice !!!!
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (02-15-2023)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Bemo
Drifting

If you're close to CT and interested in helping me, let me know. I will pay you.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:26 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

re-read it and realize you weren't asking "how" to do this within PIWIS, but "where" as in which dealerships in Connecticut would do it for you! DOH, first post and it was a fail.

oh well, use the info as you wish and for anyone in the Bay Area who would like their steering software updated to the 991.2 version I am willing to do so for a small reward.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:06 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

re-read it and realize you weren't asking "how" to do this within PIWIS, but "where" as in which dealerships in Connecticut would do it for you! DOH, first post and it was a fail.

oh well, use the info as you wish and for anyone in the Bay Area who would like their steering software updated to the 991.2 version I am willing to do so for a small reward.
I am in socal but i dont mind the drive one day.

But what is the diff between .1 and .2 steering?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:33 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

great information. in the true spirit of technical forums. thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

I think there are some forum posts here and on other forums talking about how the .1 steering felt a bit numb while the .2 steering software provided those cars with a more organic feel. From doing this on my own 991.1 C2S I was able to first disable the Power Steering Plus and drove it - noted that the steering felt very heavy and a lot like my wife's 2007 Lexus IS 250. I managed to force update the electric steering and I have to assume it's the latest source code because now the steering feel is a bit softer and there is some road feel coming back through the wheel (it's not as much as a hydraulic system but it's noticeable).

That's the best way in which I could describe it. I personally prefer the updated steering software.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Bemo
Drifting

I think there are some forum posts here and on other forums talking about how the .1 steering felt a bit numb while the .2 steering software provided those cars with a more organic feel. From doing this on my own 991.1 C2S I was able to first disable the Power Steering Plus and drove it - noted that the steering felt very heavy and a lot like my wife's 2007 Lexus IS 250. I managed to force update the electric steering and I have to assume it's the latest source code because now the steering feel is a bit softer and there is some road feel coming back through the wheel (it's not as much as a hydraulic system but it's noticeable).

That's the best way in which I could describe it. I personally prefer the updated steering software.
Interesting comments. Can you elaborate more on the steering feel following the disabling of PSP? When you say it felt heavy how much of a difference are we talking? My understanding was that the "power steering" portion remains, just the additional "plus" portion goes away which provides additional softness if speeds up to 35mph. Based on my own driving experience, I like how the car steers at speed but wish to eliminate the additional assist option at low speed.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:30 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

That was what I'd heard as well -- that PSP only affects low speed steering, phases out and "regular" steering takes over -- in my experience playing around with the settings that's not entirely the case. With PSP enabled, the entire steering programming is markedly different at all speeds. Now, bear in mind there are a few more variables -- there is ServoTronic and Standard power steering options in the Vehicle Data settings, there is also yet another option to enable/disable Power Steering completely.

I also did one experiment where I changed the vehicle's designation from a Carrera to a GT3 to see if I could get the GT3 algorithms installed but unfortunately that essentially broke many of the systems in the car and I had to roll that back, it's simply not an option.

What is interesting is that I'm able to do a Manual coding and can select either 911 or Boxster/Cayman steering modules and software. My guess is that the Boxster/Cayman steering software would in fact port in to the 911.

PSP makes the wheel turning extremely light and easy at parking lot speeds, turning it off and setting to the 991.1 steering makes the wheel turning feel very heavy at all speeds -- there is no gradation as the speed of the vehicle increases to the steering becoming lighter. Updating the steering to what I believe is 991.2 makes the steering wheel require less force to rotate at all speeds but not as light as with PSP. It's in the middle somewhere.

It can also be described as having a very small feeling of "lightness" at the first pressure to either direction which then firms up as you change lanes on the expressway for example.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Call MIchael at Porsche of Wallingford. 203 269-3317. He said they'd be happy to do it. You may need to show them the instructions in the above thread
Old 04-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Call MIchael at Porsche of Wallingford. 203 269-3317. He said they'd be happy to do it. You may need to show them the instructions in the above thread
Thank you, sir!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Bemo
Drifting

That was what I'd heard as well -- that PSP only affects low speed steering, phases out and "regular" steering takes over -- in my experience playing around with the settings that's not entirely the case. With PSP enabled, the entire steering programming is markedly different at all speeds. Now, bear in mind there are a few more variables -- there is ServoTronic and Standard power steering options in the Vehicle Data settings, there is also yet another option to enable/disable Power Steering completely.

I also did one experiment where I changed the vehicle's designation from a Carrera to a GT3 to see if I could get the GT3 algorithms installed but unfortunately that essentially broke many of the systems in the car and I had to roll that back, it's simply not an option.

What is interesting is that I'm able to do a Manual coding and can select either 911 or Boxster/Cayman steering modules and software. My guess is that the Boxster/Cayman steering software would in fact port in to the 911.

PSP makes the wheel turning extremely light and easy at parking lot speeds, turning it off and setting to the 991.1 steering makes the wheel turning feel very heavy at all speeds -- there is no gradation as the speed of the vehicle increases to the steering becoming lighter. Updating the steering to what I believe is 991.2 makes the steering wheel require less force to rotate at all speeds but not as light as with PSP. It's in the middle somewhere.

It can also be described as having a very small feeling of "lightness" at the first pressure to either direction which then firms up as you change lanes on the expressway for example.
Hi - can you post the exact servotronic and standard power steering settings or are those binary (Yes/No)? How do those differ from the so called "991.2" setup that you believe you arrived at?
More importantly, is this process reversible if I end up disliking the new setting or do i have to purchase another license key in order to re enable PSP? I don't mind playing with different configurations until I get to a set of settings that i like but not willing to break the bank in the process.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

After reading many forum posts, it seems PSP was developed for elderly men under 150 lbs and women under 110 lbs. Those with weaker and more slender arms may need additional power steering assistance for parking and parking lot maneuvering. It's hard to imagine a typical man or normal woman who finds the standard 991.2 steering too strenuous to operate.

Quick Reply: CT Owners: where to turn off Power Steering Plus?