Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CT Owners: where to turn off Power Steering Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't post the source code, no, it would not make any sense whatsoever or give you any indications towards the physical output of the system, also the coding module in PIWIS is only in German, so there's that to contend with.

When disabling PSP and popup warns that re enabling will require a code, so yes you would have to rebuy that feature. I wouldn't imagine you'd want it turned back on given that you want it turned off in the first place.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by iWrenchmy911
I can't post the source code, no, it would not make any sense whatsoever or give you any indications towards the physical output of the system, also the coding module in PIWIS is only in German, so there's that to contend with.

When disabling PSP and popup warns that re enabling will require a code, so yes you would have to rebuy that feature. I wouldn't imagine you'd want it turned back on given that you want it turned off in the first place.
I only asked because you mentioned other servotronic and standard steering options, potentially resulting in quite a few possible combinations. I think I'll look to drive a 911 without PSP so I can decide.

Will keep you posted, thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Interesting comments. Can you elaborate more on the steering feel following the disabling of PSP? When you say it felt heavy how much of a difference are we talking? My understanding was that the "power steering" portion remains, just the additional "plus" portion goes away which provides additional softness if speeds up to 35mph. Based on my own driving experience, I like how the car steers at speed but wish to eliminate the additional assist option at low speed.
It's not up to 35mph. Only a lower speeds and only really noticeable below 20. You won't notice any difference above 20-25mph. PSP is really for low speed ease of steering, i.e., parking lots, very slow corners, etc. I owned cars with it and without it at the same time. The difference is only noticeable in parking lots.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I think there are some forum posts here and on other forums talking about how the .1 steering felt a bit numb while the .2 steering software provided those cars with a more organic feel.
The difference is simply how direct the steering is, no difference in steering feel, per se, nothing has changed but the software coding. Porsche migrated the slightly more direct steering of the .1 Turbo over to cars like the Spyder/GT4 and then to the .2. The Turbo steering was 10 percent more direct than the standard .1 Carrera.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

I would disagree, as I've toggled between the two software versions and there is definitely a difference in "feel" which I hate to use that term, but with the newest software the wheel "dances and jiggles" more when driving over uneven pavements, bumps, stones etc.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I would disagree, as I've toggled between the two software versions and there is definitely a difference in "feel" which I hate to use that term, but with the newest software the wheel "dances and jiggles" more when driving over uneven pavements, bumps, stones etc.
Which it would if the steering was more direct. But that's not steering 'feel'.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:26 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bemo
I only asked because you mentioned other servotronic and standard steering options, potentially resulting in quite a few possible combinations. I think I'll look to drive a 911 without PSP so I can decide.

Will keep you posted, thanks!
I'm experimenting myself and using my car as the guinea pig. My car came with PSP from factory, in the vehicle data menu both ServoTronic and Speed sensitive steering were checked so I assumed the two are linked. I haven't tried all the combinations and couldn't say if they do anything. I do want to try the boxster/cayman software just to see what that drives like.

I wasn't unhappy with the original steering, it did feel heavy and synthetic but it was very sharp and direct, car went exactly where I wanted it to. But it did "feel" more or less dead and didn't feel like the 996 C4 I'd driven at Livermore Porsche one time, that car felt really jiggly on the highway and likely much of that has to due with lower weight, narrower tires up front, narrower track overall. I got a little closer to that sensation after I did a force update on the software which also results in the software version now shown in the "actual inputs and values" as "A2.2" I assume that is correlated to a second iteration of the steering software. But again, I'm only guessing at all this as there is no official knowledge base and to my knowledge no one else has ever done these exercises with the piwis tool....
Old 04-02-2019, 10:27 PM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Which it would if the steering was more direct. But that's not steering 'feel'.
gotchya, I didn't take direct to mean that, I thought direct meant more firm and heavy when the driver provides input, what you're saying makes sense -- direct means the car is providing more direct feedback.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:28 AM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

re-read it and realize you weren't asking "how" to do this within PIWIS, but "where" as in which dealerships in Connecticut would do it for you! DOH, first post and it was a fail.

oh well, use the info as you wish and for anyone in the Bay Area who would like their steering software updated to the 991.2 version I am willing to do so for a small reward.
Hey I'm in the Bay Area and very interested in upgrading to the 991.2 version!!!! My car also doesn't have the PSP software, so we could see how that feels vs yours if there is any difference.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:53 AM
iWrenchmy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedZ
Hey I'm in the Bay Area and very interested in upgrading to the 991.2 version!!!! My car also doesn't have the PSP software, so we could see how that feels vs yours if there is any difference.
Hey! Yes there is a discernible difference at least to my view. I live in the East Bay and we could plan to meet up. Please PM me and we can discuss.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

gotchya, I didn't take direct to mean that, I thought direct meant more firm and heavy when the driver provides input, what you're saying makes sense -- direct means the car is providing more direct feedback.
Quicker/more direct steering. I have it in my Spyder and it is definitely noticeable and I much prefer it. Why Porsche didn't put it on all the .1 Carrera's is beyond me.

I don't find the feel or feedback to be any different than my 981 Cayman S with the old steering, but the steering is simply quicker and more direct. Supposedly it's 10 percent more direct, but it sure feels like more than that.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:42 AM
Fr3nch
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

At the main diagnostics menu, there is a button on the bottom row, hover over it and it shows "addt'l menu" click that, then click on "Maintenance of Vehicle Data" and once at this terminal use the f12 button to move through the menus until the "Z" menu, then scroll down, down, down until you find "Speed Sensitive Steering" you unselect that, you will also need to unselect "ServoTronic" steering and enable "Standard Power Steering" from the same list. Then click next in the lower right corner and "Save" the options. Voila done.

OH, it's also possible to update the steering software to the 991.2... as me how I know! I have a piwis II. It is possible.
Any chance you can point me in the right direction for getting PIWIS on my own?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr3nch
Any chance you can point me in the right direction for getting PIWIS on my own?
Whole bunch of information on that here - https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...piwis-iii.html
Old 02-06-2023, 04:10 PM
mikelaca
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

re-read it and realize you weren't asking "how" to do this within PIWIS, but "where" as in which dealerships in Connecticut would do it for you! DOH, first post and it was a fail.

oh well, use the info as you wish and for anyone in the Bay Area who would like their steering software updated to the 991.2 version I am willing to do so for a small reward.
@iWrenchmy911. Do you think you could do the steering update to my 970 Panamera? I am close to you and would be more than happy to pay a small reward!

Quick Reply: CT Owners: where to turn off Power Steering Plus?