Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's death knell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019 | 03:47 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jim991
The difference is that radar is detecting anonymously from the outside and is not predetermined to go after a specific individual . Think DWI roadblocks that past constitutional muster because they are considered random stops. Set up a road block at the end of my driveway without probable cause the stop would be illegal. Monitoring GPS installed on my car without probable cause that a crime has already been committed would be illegal.
Not to quibble, but suppose that GPS is not monitored. Let's say that software would be installed in your car that would transmit a signal when the speed limit is exceeded by 10 MPH. Only then would the specific car be monitored to validate the speeding. Since driving is a privilege and not a right, it would seem to me that governments would have latitude. I look for California to take the lead in this area, to be shortly followed by Massachusetts and Maryland.
Old 04-07-2019 | 04:42 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
Not to quibble, but suppose that GPS is not monitored. Let's say that software would be installed in your car that would transmit a signal when the speed limit is exceeded by 10 MPH. Only then would the specific car be monitored to validate the speeding. Since driving is a privilege and not a right, it would seem to me that governments would have latitude. I look for California to take the lead in this area, to be shortly followed by Massachusetts and Maryland.
We are here for quibbles. The US government is not constitutionally permitted to install electronically monitored devices in your house or car without probable cause of a crime. This is a minimum standard that all states including CA are bound to. Be thankful we have these rights. No other country has ever had these protections.
Old 04-07-2019 | 05:30 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

lol

Is this the new green deal?
Old 04-07-2019 | 05:40 PM
DvD5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim991
We are here for quibbles. The US government is not constitutionally permitted to install electronically monitored devices in your house or car without probable cause of a crime. This is a minimum standard that all states including CA are bound to. Be thankful we have these rights. No other country has ever had these protections.
But private industry will take the lead. Your insurance "discount" will be based on installing a monitoring device. Over time, most people will not be able to afford driving without the "discount"...
Old 04-07-2019 | 06:06 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by DvD5
But private industry will take the lead. Your insurance "discount" will be based on installing a monitoring device. Over time, most people will not be able to afford driving without the "discount"...
Two tier insurance premiums: a low premium with a tracker and a high one without. $800 annual premium for a 991 with a tracker, and $4000 without. So the next step will be to find a way to defeat that tracker and get the low insurance premium.
Actually it's all a moot point because we are just a few years away from semi-autonomous cars that will make exceeding speed limits very challenging.
Old 04-07-2019 | 07:50 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

A lot of gloom and doom here. Why bother detailing or modding your 911 since it can only drive at 50mph and with exhaust sound deadening installed, and only on Sundays between 1 & 3:00, yada yada yada ....
Drive your car damnit and stop whining about what might or might not happen. We are driving cars technologically superior to cars of the past. I don't believe there won't be "drivers cars" like we have now up to it's my time to fertilize the pasture.
Old 04-07-2019 | 08:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by DvD5
Exactly. Like signing over our entire identities to social media apps so we can post selfies. Never underestimate what we’ll give to corporations. And how much said corporations will “donate” to politicians to install a backdoor.

Never also underestimate the governments ability to use fear to get citizens to sign away rights or privileges (be it theirs, or others’). Like that guy from Texas and the other guy from Nebraska who wrapped a bow tie around atop a package oh so propagandally titled “patriot act.”

When it comes to cars. When proven that it will actually save lives, and that 98% of people hate driving, don’t understand the concept of spirited driving, and drive slow as snails anyway, and literally break through long sweeping turns. Yeah, this won’t be a hard one to pull off.
Old 04-07-2019 | 10:29 PM
minthral
Pro

Beyond basic ‘right or wrong,’ there is a distinction between people doing as they please (aka freedom) and laws regulating them. Problem is laws must be enforced and people speeding on roads isn’t a high priority for under staffed and under funded police departments in US especially due to large land mass and so many roads. In EU they make a more priority over it and its more realistic to do so because the mainland is the size of Texas yet population of Europe is 2 timea that of all US.
Old 04-08-2019 | 12:03 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Too much government is not good.
Old 04-08-2019 | 01:48 AM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peter80
For each of my last three Porsches I've told the wife 'This one will see me out'.
Please tell me you took notes. I'm using the same argument, but I'm only on #1 (car that is)
Old 04-08-2019 | 10:53 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default this

I think this is why i miss my 964. Every time i get in my old jeep it is a bit of fresh air. A real handbrake and little distraction. Luckily my .1 still has a key vs that flicted start button (or an approximation of one).

Originally Posted by stout
Really resonate with the above.

Had the same feeling when taking my 914 out last weekend, ostensibly to the hardware store (by way of a decent back road). It was just so refreshing to simply get in and drive. No modes, no screens, no power anything except the engine itself. It was dreamy, and a real escape to this overcorrected world.
Old 04-08-2019 | 02:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I think this is why i miss my 964. Every time i get in my old jeep it is a bit of fresh air. A real handbrake and little distraction. Luckily my .1 still has a key vs that flicted start button (or an approximation of one).
And to make matters worse we have to pay for all the "improvements". My wife for example loves Audis, but she doesn't love autos, leather, back-up cameras and a whole host of other "improvements" which she doesn't want but must pay for since they are standard on all Audis.

When it comes to cars. When proven that it will actually save lives, and that 98% of people hate driving, don’t understand the concept of spirited driving, and drive slow as snails anyway, and literally break through long sweeping turns. Yeah, this won’t be a hard one to pull off.
I live in the country and there's a bike and hike trail no more than two miles from my house, so I pass the trail almost every day. The speed limit on the road drops from 45 MPH to 25 MPH about a 1/4 mile from where the road and trail intersect. Last week as I approached the trail, a woman who looked to be in her 60s, started to wave her hands and yelled at me to slow the hell down. I quickly checked my digital speedometer and it read 27 MPH. Later that evening I checked our neighborhood social network page, and sure enough there was a posting about a Porsche speeding past the trail. There were at least another dozen other posts suggesting that all Porsches speed and drive recklessly. So I doubt that my community would resist speed limiters, especially on Porsches.
Old 04-08-2019 | 03:05 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last week as I approached the trail, a woman who looked to be in her 60s, started to wave her hands and yelled at me to slow the hell down.
Had a thread about this, something similar happened to me in my neighborhood - twice (20 in a 25)... Since both were screaming at me, both times I decided to stop and confront them - a guy and a woman... The guy immediately backed down and even apologized when I explained (steep hill, 1st gear, loud is not necessarily fast) - predicatably the lady was still somehwat belligerent so I asked her to invite the cops over with a radar gun, and until she did, she was welcome to kiss my...exhaust... (I'm generally polite but she was not)

Same as you, later found a neighborhood (nextdoor) posting about this incident online, knew what it was about, so I posted a link to the old Toyota Ad about the dog that chases a parked car and crashes into it because it thought it was moving fast - "looks fast"... Drew a few laughs... Haven't heard from her since. It does take away from the enjoyment of the car though... Which is another reason why I drive my electric jalopy most days and the 991 only for pleasure... I could be doing 40 in a 25 (not that I would, I will speed on roads and freeways but never in residential areas) - they wouldn't raise an eyebrow because it's silent.. People. Too many of them.

Old 04-08-2019 | 04:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Funny you should mention the Jeep. My rental car in Florida this past weekend was gonna be the usual tin can (hate spending much on rentals) but had the opportunity to upgrade to a small SUV for $4. Hmm. When I got there, among the usual lame choices was a 4Runner. I've thought the current 4Runner looks tall, tippy, and awkward...as though the model's best days are behind it. Curious to see if what it looked like was what it was, I took the Toyota. To my surprise...I really liked it. And it's a throwback in more than name. No one-touch turn signals. A real key for a real ignition switch that you control...so if you don't hold it long enough, the thing fails to start (did this several times, as I am not used to holding a starter key over in a modern car). A distinctly 1980s looking clock in the middle of the dash. Not a lot of "features." Simple and good enough stereo (Bluetooth felt like the biggest "feature"). Early 1990s build and materials quality (not bad, just austere by more modern standards). But...it did what it does well, and handled surprisingly well for what it is. I found myself liking it more and more as the days passed. Not a vehicle for me, but maybe the most surprising one in a while.

I dunno. I kinda liked it.
Old 04-08-2019 | 06:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by stout
Funny you should mention the Jeep. My rental car in Florida this past weekend was gonna be the usual tin can (hate spending much on rentals) but had the opportunity to upgrade to a small SUV for $4. Hmm. When I got there, among the usual lame choices was a 4Runner. I've thought the current 4Runner looks tall, tippy, and awkward...as though the model's best days are behind it. Curious to see if what it looked like was what it was, I took the Toyota. To my surprise...I really liked it. And it's a throwback in more than name. No one-touch turn signals. A real key for a real ignition switch that you control...so if you don't hold it long enough, the thing fails to start (did this several times, as I am not used to holding a starter key over in a modern car). A distinctly 1980s looking clock in the middle of the dash. Not a lot of "features." Simple and good enough stereo (Bluetooth felt like the biggest "feature"). Early 1990s build and materials quality (not bad, just austere by more modern standards). But...it did what it does well, and handled surprisingly well for what it is. I found myself liking it more and more as the days passed. Not a vehicle for me, but maybe the most surprising one in a while.

I dunno. I kinda liked it.
You should have seen my first Porsche, a 1971 911E. No AC, ABS, power steering, nothing automatic (windows, seats or transmission), no leather, no cup holders (that I can recall), but it did have a heater and an AM radio. Nevertheless, there is no other 911 that I owned that gave me more driving pleasure than my first 911. It only had 145 HP but the connection to the road that it provided was unsurpassed by any other car that I've owned. Moreover, the car was super easy to work on. I did 100% of all the maintenance myself, which IMO helps you bond with the car. I sometimes wonder if that car is still owned and driven by someone. I sold it in 1980 and it was in super condition, notwithstanding the 65K miles I put on the odometer.

Quick Reply: Porsche's death knell?