Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's death knell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 PM
mcahill135
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

In the USAF, we call it de-acceleration sickness........
Old 04-02-2019, 12:26 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Did we honestly think the same Porsche engineers that used the GPS to quiet exhaust notes in residential neighborhoods would not take things one step further.

New cars are fine and dandy but it is amazing how in totality all of these little things add up to change the driving experience.

I had the 944 out last week for the first time this spring. It was nice for a change to:

1) Have a hand brake
2) Not have to press the stop start button
3) Not have to put the car in sport/suspension/exhaust mode
4) Not have a screen in front of me
5) Rev match myself
6) Set my phone down and not take any calls for a bit (no bluetooth)
Really resonate with the above.

Had the same feeling when taking my 914 out last weekend, ostensibly to the hardware store (by way of a decent back road). It was just so refreshing to simply get in and drive. No modes, no screens, no power anything except the engine itself. It was dreamy, and a real escape to this overcorrected world.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:16 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I live in a rural part of MD with lots of beautiful winding roads, which are ideal for sports car driving. The only reason that I don't own a Miata is because of the driver inattentiveness that you referenced. A Porsche sports car is about as small a car as I'm willing to drive. Unfortunately the idyllic roads in my area are rife with 5K+lb SUVs driven by inattentive drivers, the vast majority drive with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding a cell phone. BTW it's illegal to use hand held cell phones while driving in MD, but drivers in my area either don't know the law or don't care. So for self preservation, I immediately select the PSE button as soon as I start my car, and make certain that my engine speed never falls below 3K RPM. My hope is that if they don't see me, they should at least hear me.
I know what you mean exactly, as I drive my NA miata
Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Only thing we give away is the autobahn, which to be honest, doesn't do a lot for me after getting over the initial novelty.
We also give away beautifully manicured roadways with smooth asphalt and perfect camber. Might not be an issue in sunny Cali, but in the Northeast, road surfaces unworthy of a sixth-world country are the norm. The nice backroads are plagued with potholes, ruts, other variations of broken pavement. There are long stretches of I-95 and I-84 where the center lane has two deep grooves where you unsettle the car if you don't follow the groove precisely, and the car goes all over the place when you change lanes. Every time my German in-laws come visit, they are in disbelief at how bad the roads are here.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Don't underestimate the ingenuity of aftermarket companies to come up with ways to defeat speed monitoring devices and other over reaching private and government systems.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
Don't underestimate the ingenuity of aftermarket companies to come up with ways to defeat speed monitoring devices and other over reaching private and government systems.
No doubt that you are correct, but would you have the device installed if the government fined drivers who deployed such devices? For example suppose the government imposed a draconian penalty, like a $5K fine for deploying such devices. Would you still have the device installed?
Unfortunately people who really appreciate the driving experience comprise a tiny percentage of car owners. Hope I'm wrong, but I believe that it wouldn't be hard to sell the idea of speed governors to the general public. Moreover, speed governors currently exist on many new cars. I believe the top speed on Audis is limited to 130 MPH. So how hard would it be to reset that limit to a 70 MPH limit?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

So how hard would it be to reset that limit to a 70 MPH limit?
impossible in an old air-cooled 911 with webers and a cable connecting your foot to the throttle.

queue up: rush, red barichetta
Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
impossible in an old air-cooled 911 with webers and a cable connecting your foot to the throttle.

queue up: rush, red barichetta
I referenced new model Audis, not air-cooled 911s. To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe Porsche has speed limiters on any of its models.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Really resonate with the above.

Had the same feeling when taking my 914 out last weekend, ostensibly to the hardware store (by way of a decent back road). It was just so refreshing to simply get in and drive. No modes, no screens, no power anything except the engine itself. It was dreamy, and a real escape to this overcorrected world.
Exactly.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:58 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

I referenced new model Audis, not air-cooled 911s. To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe Porsche has speed limiters on any of its models.
i just meant, in general electronic nannys have no control over old cars and was celebrating that.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:10 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

Some day, what we know as the personal, driver-operated vehicle, gas or electric, will be a museum oddity. This might be in 30 years, or maybe 100 years, but the push from population density, market preferences, and government control will be irresistible. Some of us will have fun cars we drive on private road preserves, and maybe some rural public roads might accommodate cars, but the majority of people will get around in other ways--and not care much about it.

About 100 years ago, cars replaced horses and horse-drawn vehicles as the dominant personal transport technology. Back then many people claimed it would never happen, either for the country or for them. Horses now are mostly toys.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

I still love to drive. Just did a Philly to Naples Fl run to get my wife's Macan there when our house was done.
Unfortunately people who love to drive for the pure enjoyment of driving are diminishing at a fast rate. For most now it's just reaching the destination, for me it's what in the middle and the experience that counts. I still jump in the car just to joy ride. Seems a lost art, that's why cars like ours are in danger of extinction.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:05 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Some day, what we know as the personal, driver-operated vehicle, gas or electric, will be a museum oddity. This might be in 30 years, or maybe 100 years, but the push from population density, market preferences, and government control will be irresistible. Some of us will have fun cars we drive on private road preserves, and maybe some rural public roads might accommodate cars, but the majority of people will get around in other ways--and not care much about it.

About 100 years ago, cars replaced horses and horse-drawn vehicles as the dominant personal transport technology. Back then many people claimed it would never happen, either for the country or for them. Horses now are mostly toys.
I agree completely. The fuzziness is how quickly this will happen. We tend to overestimate how much change will happen in the short-term and underestimate how much change will happen in the long-term (Bill Gates quote). Autonomous vehicles will happen and I believe generally most people will like them. All of these current ideas around enforced speed limits and driver aids like lane keep assist, radar cruise, automatic speed limit controls are just steps on the path. A hydrocarbon fueled internal combustion vehicle with no autonomous controls will be an antique and curiosity for the collector - just like a steam engine or mechanical typewriter. At some point, non-autonomous vehicles that are not compatible with whatever automatic traffic control and safety systems may be restricted or not-allowed on public roads.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

As for the speed limiters, that last line is critical—as is the idea that they can be overridden. Perspective from Europe is critical, too. Last time I was in Stuttgart for a week, I was surprised at how un-fun it is to drive around its sprawling streets and thoroughfares. Speed limits vary widely, and there are 5-10 types of speed cameras all over the place waiting to nab you, even for small overages. 30, 50, 30, 50, 70, 30, 50, 30, etc. I found myself driving for cameras, and looking for them, rather than driving for safety—it was so awful I found myself understanding why Porsche execs in Stuttgart think PDK is totally superior period, and also thinking that I'd happily accept a bug red button I could hit that would limit my speed in various parts of town to whatever the posted limit is. It really was that tedious–and that's saying something. We don't know how good we have it. Go down to LA and the flow is well past the limit, enforcement is pretty chill so far as I can see (except certain spots, usually for good reason), and our speed limits (or at least, actual speeds) are often quite a bit higher than in Germany.

I remember when a German engineer asked where I was from, then said, "The U.S.? Pity, as you have no good roads to enjoy our cars on." I chuckled, as...autobahn aside, I think we have better roads for pleasure driving. Wider, typically, with shoulders that allow for a chosen line without going into the other lane. Typically reasonable dirt shoulders instead of white plastic pegs right next to the road. A lot of land, even (or especially?) in CA with a LOT of roads vs a much smaller country with fewer ways to cross a given stretch. More great roads to nowhere. A lot more. Only thing we give away is the autobahn, which to be honest, doesn't do a lot for me after getting over the initial novelty. Do wish we could run at 100-140 mph on long trips when safe, but we've still got it pretty good—and I see less threatening what we have here in the U.S. than I see threatening what they have in Europe. France, for instance, has really changed. Some other EU countries, as well, I'm told.
Well I haven't spent a whole week in Stuttgart but did live in Germany (Kaiserslautern) for 5 years and drove all over Germany and Europe. With that, I wholeheartedly agree with the German engineer. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Germans don't speed in towns and cities. They are far more respectful of laws and customs and each other. Therefore a good driver over there need not worry about speed cameras. If you want to go fast, there's better places to do it outside the cities, especially where I lived. After 5 years in Germany I'm still convinced Americans think they are far better and safer drivers than reality. Americans drove me nuts on speed limited roads. They have a set speed they like to drive, no matter the speed limit. Coming from work to home I would travel down a several kilometer stretch that went from (kph) 30 to 50 to 70 to 100 to 70 to 50 to 30 before coming up to a roundabout. Everyday Americans in front of me would drive down that whole stretch at around 50 mph. They gap you at first then about half way though the 100 kph section you're on their bumper pissed off they are holding you up. Germans would complain too as they don't like driving under the speed limit but are happy to not exceed it. Same on the autobahns. Americans would go set speeds no matter the speed limits. Guaranteed when you reached unlimited sections that's the last you saw of them as you disappeared in the distance.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Well I haven't spent a whole week in Stuttgart but did live in Germany (Kaiserslautern) for 5 years and drove all over Germany and Europe. With that, I wholeheartedly agree with the German engineer. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Germans don't speed in towns and cities. They are far more respectful of laws and customs and each other. Therefore a good driver over there need not worry about speed cameras. If you want to go fast, there's better places to do it outside the cities, especially where I lived. After 5 years in Germany I'm still convinced Americans think they are far better and safer drivers than reality. Americans drove me nuts on speed limited roads. They have a set speed they like to drive, no matter the speed limit. Coming from work to home I would travel down a several kilometer stretch that went from (kph) 30 to 50 to 70 to 100 to 70 to 50 to 30 before coming up to a roundabout. Everyday Americans in front of me would drive down that whole stretch at around 50 mph. They gap you at first then about half way though the 100 kph section you're on their bumper pissed off they are holding you up. Germans would complain too as they don't like driving under the speed limit but are happy to not exceed it. Same on the autobahns. Americans would go set speeds no matter the speed limits. Guaranteed when you reached unlimited sections that's the last you saw of them as you disappeared in the distance.
Interesting post, but you seem to be making an assumption that I'm for speeding in town or disregarding safety. I guess I could see how one might, so let me be clear: I don't approve of speeding in towns or cities; I approve ofsafe drivingregardless of where one is, driving that is respectful to other drivers and pedestrians too.

With that said, I don't much care for draconian limits. 50 kmh makes a lot of sense in town, but many 30 kmh zones in Germany these days seem draconian to me. I still follow the law, but 18.6 mph feels awfully tedious in some of them. There's an art and a science to setting speed limits, and when limits are too low, reasonable, law-abiding citizens get annoyed (and rightly so). Worse, varying between 30 and 50 and 30 can occasionally feel like the motivation is revenue rather than safety—particularly given the level of driving I typically see in Germany. (I think their testing and training is far superior to ours, which is woefully inadequate. With that said, something I have noticed as I've spent more time there: In the end, humans are humans.) In some cases, the 30-50-30-50-70-50-etc was so frequent that the need to monitor the speed limit signs may be distracting to some drivers (particularly outsiders)...moving their eyes away from more important things. Like pedestrians.

Main point was, Stuttgart can be pretty un-fun to drive in...and I can see how that is affecting the lens of decision makers at Porsche and M-B.

Interesting comments on the way Americans drive over there. What region(s) are you driving in?

Quick Reply: Porsche's death knell?