Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:19 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about a Track Day

My dealership has set me up for a track day before but I haven't opted in. After this winter, I just feel like it's time to let 'er rip. I don't care if I have to drive a '94 Camry at this point if it means I can put my foot to the floor.

What are peoples' thoughts about tracking their 991s? I understand the temptation to baby the thing, but at the same time I think a lot of us buy these cars because they are engineered for high performance driving. Tires and brakes? Yeah it sucks to consume them but we all gotta go sometime.

Any tips for a first-timer? Any horror stories you want to share? Dos and Don'ts?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 08:44 PM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I tracked my 997.2 and my 991.1; I will track whatever comes next. Hitting 150 on the track has slowed me down on the street and highway, so that's good. And I've found something that it's going to take me a long time to get better at, but I still like doing it.
Dress comfortably (usually long sleeves and long pants), don't forget to drink plenty of water and have a good time.
I am pretty sure some groups will not allow a cabrio without appropriate rollover protection but if your dealership is setting it up presumably they know which car you have so I'm sure it's all good.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Do it
Old 03-26-2019, 10:09 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

As a first timer - you won’t and shouldn’t drive the car too hard. But even if you’re hard on the car it will be fine.

Zero to worry about.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I do understand a lot of the physics and I am a racing fan, but I know as a first-timer who is planning on driving from the track (Autobahn in Joliet, IL, 50 mi away) back to my house, I will live within my comfort zone.

Then do it again once I get hooked
Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Do it for sure! Beware if you like it you will be spending $$$$ all the time though. Its worth every penny though in tires and pads and whatever you feel like you want to add.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Get an instructor. They will exponentially increase your learning curve.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:33 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Most fun you can have with your clothes on. Enjoy!!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

A single weekend will hardly affect the car at all, do it!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:49 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I believe (from my own experience) that the 911 is the one car you can track on a weekend and drive to work the next day. As a beginner, you will not harm you car - other than driving off the track and crashing, of course. Personally, if I could not track my 911, I would not even own one. I have more track time in my last two C2's than my GT3, it is something that everyone who owns a 911should consider experiencing at least once. I gave it a shot and started down the slippery slope and would not have it any other way. There are three things that I have done regularly in my life that have provided total stress relief:
Extreme Skiing- Done now that I have a metal knee
Driving on the track - Less stress on the knee
Scuba diving - Still doing it and love it.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I track cars because it’s the only safe place to drive fast.

i will track my car 2 to 3 times. I like to go early in the summer or later fall. It’s hot in Jun to Aug.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I have tracked my 991 multiple times and it’s truly sublime. Don’t baby it, it’s meant to be driven.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I believe (from my own experience) that the 911 is the one car you can track on a weekend and drive to work the next day. As a beginner, you will not harm you car - other than driving off the track and crashing, of course. Personally, if I could not track my 911, I would not even own one. I have more track time in my last two C2's than my GT3, it is something that everyone who owns a 911should consider experiencing at least once. I gave it a shot and started down the slippery slope and would not have it any other way. There are three things that I have done regularly in my life that have provided total stress relief:
Extreme Skiing- Done now that I have a metal knee
Driving on the track - Less stress on the knee
Scuba diving - Still doing it and love it.
I agree with the assessment. I'm quite positive I won't destroy the car because I will take instruction for the course and keep ramping it up until I scare myself a couple of times. Then back off, ask questions, and scare myself again. Then sign up for the next track day(!) Only way to learn is to push it. Just like your own skiing activities, I firmly believe that you'll never be a good skier unless you go for it. If you are TOO worried about crashing in the downhill skiing world, you will not learn.

Here's a question- Has anyone dinged their car and had an insurance company deny coverage because they claimed it was "competition" or some such thing?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:56 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Track insurance
Here are 3 options, sure there are more tho.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Track-Day-Insurance

https://opentrack.com/

https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

All motorsport is dangerous and accidents can and do happen. However, the secret is to minimise the risk by means of going to a sanctioned driver training day. Here they will teach you about passing rules, cool down laps, warm up laps, braking points, lines for both wet and dry track etc etc. Always drive within your limits. Also get track insurance and make sure you're not involved in anything thats timed.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Track Day