Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

+1
I have tracked my Cab and Targa regularly.
I learn so much each time.
Just make sure tires have good tread and brake pads are good.
Take everything loose out of the car. Check with track guys what tire pressure they advise.
Most importantly have fun!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:30 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Read your Policy. Most insurance policies specifically exclude any claims if the vehicle is operated in the property limits of a racing venue. That's why there is supplemental track insurance you can purchase from speciality providers. Unless you can afford to write off the whole car, it's a good idea to buy it. I've been an Instructor since 1996. I've seen a lot of cars balled up at the track and I've seen a lot of guys pretty upset when they have to flatbed it out of there.

"I'm quite positive I won't destroy the car because I will take instruction for the course and keep ramping it up until I scare myself a couple of times. Then back off, ask questions, and scare myself again."

I myself am NEVER positive I won't trash my car because **** happens. Maybe the car a couple hundred yards in front of you just blew their coolant hose or had a water pump failure and there is antifreeze in T4, and you go skidding off into the Armco. Maybe you don't have fresh brake fluid in your car and your brakes fade coming off the straight to T1 and in the gravel trap you go. Maybe the car in front of you goes into a spin and you pick the wrong side to avoid....lotta stuff happens.

I'm not sure about the "scaring myself" style of learning, either. If you have an Instructor in the car, you're scaring him, too - and here's a little secret - we really don't like it when you do that. Better to learn to feel limits, the car will talk to you when you drive it, and learn technique - which is gradual - rather than banzai moves. Cars like 991's are going very fast when they give it up due to ham-fisted driving - the cars are very good but can hide bad technique. A spin at 90 mph has WAY more pucker factor than one at 35 mph in a Miata. I much prefer to teach beginners in a slow, less technically evolved car.

Have fun, check your insurance, and don't arrive at the track with preconceived notions. Get a good Instructor, listen to them and it will be a good day.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:19 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

I've been tracking for years, and am a track instructor, so I hope my opinion has at least some merit. If you are at a well-organized event, and are running with a similar group of novices, and have good instructors, 99% chance all will be fine. Realize that track skills take years to build, and cannot really be learned well in such advanced cars as a 991. That being said, the 991 can make a novice look like a skilled driver, since it compensates for your errors. I HIGHLY recommend trying your car at the track. Keep a level head, gradually build up your skills, get a good instructor, and learn how to REALLY enjoy what this car has to offer!

A friend of mine rolled his Carrera and totaled it at his very first track event, one week before my very first track event. He bought a new one, and now, years later, is a fantastic track driver and an instructor.

When I bought my 991, he checked it out for me, since the car was across the country from me. But 5 minutes from his house. He told me that the sales guy nearly soiled his shorts during the test drive.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Read your Policy. Most insurance policies specifically exclude any claims if the vehicle is operated in the property limits of a racing venue. That's why there is supplemental track insurance you can purchase from speciality providers. Unless you can afford to write off the whole car, it's a good idea to buy it. I've been an Instructor since 1996. I've seen a lot of cars balled up at the track and I've seen a lot of guys pretty upset when they have to flatbed it out of there.

"I'm quite positive I won't destroy the car because I will take instruction for the course and keep ramping it up until I scare myself a couple of times. Then back off, ask questions, and scare myself again."

I myself am NEVER positive I won't trash my car because **** happens. Maybe the car a couple hundred yards in front of you just blew their coolant hose or had a water pump failure and there is antifreeze in T4, and you go skidding off into the Armco. Maybe you don't have fresh brake fluid in your car and your brakes fade coming off the straight to T1 and in the gravel trap you go. Maybe the car in front of you goes into a spin and you pick the wrong side to avoid....lotta stuff happens.

I'm not sure about the "scaring myself" style of learning, either. If you have an Instructor in the car, you're scaring him, too - and here's a little secret - we really don't like it when you do that. Better to learn to feel limits, the car will talk to you when you drive it, and learn technique - which is gradual - rather than banzai moves. Cars like 991's are going very fast when they give it up due to ham-fisted driving - the cars are very good but can hide bad technique. A spin at 90 mph has WAY more pucker factor than one at 35 mph in a Miata. I much prefer to teach beginners in a slow, less technically evolved car.

Have fun, check your insurance, and don't arrive at the track with preconceived notions. Get a good Instructor, listen to them and it will be a good day.
^ fantastic advice here. My first thought was "get track insurance!"
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 PM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main reason I haven't taken my 991 to the track is the cost of track insurance about $1000 for the weekend. And I wouldn't track it without insurance. I totaled my 944 turbo years ago right after telling my wife that I would get track insurance "next time".
Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I don't track my high-end cars, either. I used to, but that all ended when I grenaded my 993 C4S engine at VIR. Porsche had to build me a new engine in Germany and air freight it over - you can imagine what that cost. My 991 has never been to the track because I've seen too many cars wrecked and blown up on DE days.

The best track car is the one you can afford to write off, typically a prepped Miata, etc.

But I'll share my secret with you guys..... when I want a track fix, I go rent a car for the day from Bertil Roos and usually do so with a bunch of pals. Now we are in these little Formula carrs which are 10x more fun than a street Porsche and if you don't drive like an ****, they don't ding you in the pocketbook if the engine goes, etc. Even offs that result in damage has limited liabilities. Huge fun, makes your 991 seem like a Mercedes S Class by comparison. No tires to buy, no brake pads, nothing to service, they have it ready for you when you show up. We have been known to break one, and they just roll a new one out for you to continue your day at the track. Highly recommended.

https://racenow.com/
Old 03-29-2019, 12:19 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

There are three things that I have done regularly in my life that have provided total stress relief:
Extreme Skiing- Done now that I have a metal knee
Driving on the track - Less stress on the knee
Scuba diving - Still doing it and love it.[/QUOTE]

-Extreme Skiing: Was stationed at Hill AFB in early 80’s, lots of cliff action at Alta and SnowBird. Ah the arthritis reminds.
Driving on track: What’s behind me is not important.
Scuba diving: Must do Coco Islands for the Hammerheads and North of the Artic Circle via Norway for the Orcas.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Contadino
The main reason I haven't taken my 991 to the track is the cost of track insurance about $1000 for the weekend. And I wouldn't track it without insurance. I totaled my 944 turbo years ago right after telling my wife that I would get track insurance "next time".
That sounds high to me, i pay under $600 for an event which normally is a 2-3 day period. I use OnTrack they are great to work with
Old 03-29-2019, 04:23 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct

Here's a question- Has anyone dinged their car and had an insurance company deny coverage because they claimed it was "competition" or some such thing?
You have to buy track day insurance. Your regular policy will not cover you. Medical would be picked up by your health insurance. Don't ask me how I know.

I've done seven track days and have had track insurance each time.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:35 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Contadino
Unless it is a Turbo S or high value GT I normally pay $480 for a 2-day event for $100k physical damage coverage.
https://opentrack.com/
Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Do it. I tracked 15 days in my 991.2 within the first 6 months of ownership.

It is a blast to drive to work daily, but there is absolutely nothing like driving it on a track.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Safer than the highway
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Sage advice and also why I’m a little hesitant to track my probably once in a lifetime bespoke 911 GTS. Also just read in our latest RSR newsletter that I now have to provide a torque wrench for the CL wheels for track day inspection. So I figure between the pre-inspection, event, insurance, wrench and bar combo, overnight, I’m into it for close to $1K for a day, and still looking at a 10% deductible if I total the car. I’ve done one PEC event and loved it but wondering if the Porsche Track Experience - their cars, insurance, awesome track, museum might be money better spent in the long run while preserving my car?
Old 03-29-2019, 08:03 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it’s considered neglect to not take your Porsche to the track. It’s what it’s designed for. 😁

I agree with the other experienced guys on here that the 991 is not a great long term car for track use if the bug bites you hard. It’s simply too good of a car. You’ll eventually want something more raw with less wizardry to help you become a good driver.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Get an instructor. They will exponentially increase your learning curve.
great advice.

Where I went, Monticello motor club, you have to get approved to drive alone. I had an instructor for a day and it was worth every penny.

I also rented one one of their cars. Super happy I did. I was able to push it with less worry.

I took my amg GTS out for two sessions. I melted my tires. The drive home was a little bumpy until they solidified back up. But still from just two sessions you could see the melted tires.

I would not take my car again. Unless maybe it was just some event. But to spend the day on a track, no chance.

Im debating joining up and buying a membership. If I do, I will for certain be buying a spec Miata as well.

No chance im taking my 175k Porsche and making it a hobby car. In my opinion that would make me an idiot.

There were people there in Porsche’s and Ferrarris that were dedicated track cars. Different story imo. And I’d do that if I had the funds. I do not.

Test it out. Track it to see what it can do. Do a track night or event. Okay. Sure. But certainly not make a habit out of it.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Track Day