Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD2pct
My dealership has set me up for a track day before but I haven't opted in. After this winter, I just feel like it's time to let 'er rip. I don't care if I have to drive a '94 Camry at this point if it means I can put my foot to the floor.

What are peoples' thoughts about tracking their 991s? I understand the temptation to baby the thing, but at the same time I think a lot of us buy these cars because they are engineered for high performance driving. Tires and brakes? Yeah it sucks to consume them but we all gotta go sometime.

Any tips for a first-timer? Any horror stories you want to share? Dos and Don'ts?

Thanks
I have now tracked my 991.1 Turbo S 2014 10 times or so (Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway). So far I love it, and NO technical issues at all.
I was a bit hesitant to start with, but realized it's much safer than going nutz on public roads, and as long as you don't drive faster than your abilities I feel it's rather safe.
My pre-face is that I have been driving cars and motorcycles for 35 years, and I'm not afraid of speed, but I'm no racing driver (so far ...).

Here is my suggestions / as well as my own questions

Have some mechanic inspect your vehicle ahead of time, listen to unusual sounds (there will be some, like brake squeels and throwing small pieces of rubber off your wheels, picking up from the tarmac and throwing into your wheel wells, as well as being pelted by other drivers. These does not hurt your car, but get some Goo-be-Gone to remove the rubber smears after ... there will be many of them

I would also recommend to wrap the front / exposed part with some product (anything from tape to something like 3M clear bras), just to give you that extra confidence.

Drop the pressure in your tires 5-10 PSI on the track (the heat will expand them), don't worry to much about what tires you have to start with, but try to avoid drifting, spinning your tires or pushing the car too hard through turns, as you will destroy your tires in 1/2 day if you are too aggressive ... without gaining anything in form of lap times.

Do not care about lap times, care about being a better and smoother driver. Hire an instructor in your car and listen to him, drop everything you though you knew / other people have told you, and start from scratch ... listen and learn

I'm now at 60,000 miles, my brake pads are at 50% (same as new), and no sign of wear and tear on anything by tires (thinking if you drive 'well' you should not go through more than 1/4 of a set in a rack day, perhaps as little as 1/10 if you take it easy). If you use the throttle and let the electronic save you ... you can shave a tire in 30 min .. (I learned by going through 3 set in 2 days ... first was used on 3 other track sessions, but were down to 25%, next set was brand new, and literally fell apart (think I boiled it), and last set I'm still riding on, and they managed another track day with just very minor sign of abuse (few minor patches of rubber missing on the leading edge of the front tires).

Get your store to give you a bit more camber ... makes a difference on the track, (and negative on the road), but if you plan a few track days per set, it's worth it.

I have 0 regrets on getting into it, and it's super fun ...
Make sure to bring plenty of liquid (cold), and expect to be sore, like you did your first workout at the gym in 5 years the day after.

- Get some good shoes, thin soles, narrow, good for driving
- Get a DOT approved helmet (1/2 helmet is good)
- Get some driving gloves (thin bike / summer gloves are good ...)

Sign up for car control, auto cross, performance driving (1,2,3) - start with something that does not include lap time, only point-by-passing, and learn the flags, flag position ahead of session.
Expect no more than 2-4 sessions per tank (I'm getting ~100 miles / tank vs 500 driving eco friendly

Have fun, but #1 advice ... do not get competitive the first 5-10 times, focus on yourself, your car, learning the track, getting track habits going, slowly increase speed, brake point, placing the car lap by lap.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 377 Posts

Mothers R3 is the shi.t for rubber smear removal off your car.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Track Day