Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So cal touch up paint repair recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:43 AM
ahayvi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So cal touch up paint repair recommendation?

Hi all. From what I gather it can be very difficult to get any of the metallic touch up paint kits to match the original and I have an agate grey 991 with a few chips I would like done by a pro who knows how to mix and apply the two touch up paint coats to make it look as good as possible. Would anyone have any recommendations for someone to do this in orange county or southern california?

Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Talk with a reputable clear bra place. Moe, from Glistening Perfection who's a sponsor on here also may be able to do it for you or help you find someone that could.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:15 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem: an agate car and touch paint doesn't even come close to matching. I can DIY, but is there a touch up paint I can buy that matches the factory color? Prosche's own touchup is at least a shade too dark.

Last edited by salayc; 03-24-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Auto dent removal service in Huntington Beach, California
Address: 7511 Warner Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Hours:
Opens 8AM MonBeach Cities dent repair Phone: (714) 847-5095
Products and Services: beachcitiespdr.com
Appointments: beachcitiespdr.com
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM
ahayvi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
I have the same problem: an agate car and touch paint doesn't even come close to matching. I can DIY, but is there a touch up paint I can buy that matches the factory color? Prosche's own touchup is at least a shade too dark.

This is exactly what I am afraid of as well. From what I gather there needs to be a proper mixture of the clear and base coat for metallic touch-up paints to match. Was hoping someone could provide some guidance on a referral or DIY . Maybe should have started a thread asking for DIY instructions for agate grey touch ups too.

Thanks for the recommendations all. I will seek quotes. If they're unreasonable I'll explore DIY if I can get find or get instructions on paint matching agate grey.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

My previous car was Agate Grey, and I found the Dr. ColorChip paint to be a terrific match, and easy to use. After touch up of a few chips, I had a hard time finding them again, even knowing where they were.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Near impossible to match metallic paints. Your best bet is to just have them touched up to prevent further damage such as rust.

If you want it perfect, you’ll need to repaint. But if your expectations are low, touch up does the job. Porsche touch up is the best. Just super hard to make the metallic flakes to match.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:11 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Near impossible to match metallic paints. Your best bet is to just have them touched up to prevent further damage such as rust.

If you want it perfect, you’ll need to repaint. But if your expectations are low, touch up does the job. Porsche touch up is the best. Just super hard to make the metallic flakes to match.
You would think, but I have Porsche touch up (more than one to make sure) and it's not a matter of getting flakes to match. On Agate, the color is not even close. It's definitely not the first metallic car I have touched up, but the color was so far off, I even thought my car must not be Agate - it is.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:53 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
My previous car was Agate Grey, and I found the Dr. ColorChip paint to be a terrific match, and easy to use. After touch up of a few chips, I had a hard time finding them again, even knowing where they were.
This turned out to be good advice. The Dr. Colorchip Agate is a much better match than Porsche's own touchup.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:29 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
This turned out to be good advice. The Dr. Colorchip Agate is a much better match than Porsche's own touchup.
As someone looking to spec an Agate 992, do you regret the color choice after going through this?
Old 06-29-2021, 01:37 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
As someone looking to spec an Agate 992, do you regret the color choice after going through this?
I would hope Porsche fixed this, but no I don't regret Agate, it's a terrific color, I've had a 991.1 and 991.2 in Agate.

Quick Reply: So cal touch up paint repair recommendation?