Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   So cal touch up paint repair recommendation? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1135149-so-cal-touch-up-paint-repair-recommendation.html)

ahayvi 03-24-2019 05:43 AM

So cal touch up paint repair recommendation?

Hi all. From what I gather it can be very difficult to get any of the metallic touch up paint kits to match the original and I have an agate grey 991 with a few chips I would like done by a pro who knows how to mix and apply the two touch up paint coats to make it look as good as possible. Would anyone have any recommendations for someone to do this in orange county or southern california?

Bxstr 03-24-2019 10:54 AM

Talk with a reputable clear bra place. Moe, from Glistening Perfection who's a sponsor on here also may be able to do it for you or help you find someone that could.

salayc 03-24-2019 11:15 AM

I have the same problem: an agate car and touch paint doesn't even come close to matching. I can DIY, but is there a touch up paint I can buy that matches the factory color? Prosche's own touchup is at least a shade too dark.

996AE 03-24-2019 11:31 AM

Auto dent removal service in Huntington Beach, California
Address: 7511 Warner Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Hours:
Opens 8AM MonBeach Cities dent repair Phone: (714) 847-5095
Products and Services: beachcitiespdr.com
Appointments: beachcitiespdr.com

ahayvi 03-24-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by salayc (Post 15725041)
I have the same problem: an agate car and touch paint doesn't even come close to matching. I can DIY, but is there a touch up paint I can buy that matches the factory color? Prosche's own touchup is at least a shade too dark.

This is exactly what I am afraid of as well. From what I gather there needs to be a proper mixture of the clear and base coat for metallic touch-up paints to match. Was hoping someone could provide some guidance on a referral or DIY . Maybe should have started a thread asking for DIY instructions for agate grey touch ups too.

Thanks for the recommendations all. I will seek quotes. If they're unreasonable I'll explore DIY if I can get find or get instructions on paint matching agate grey.

Gordon Shumway 03-24-2019 07:57 PM

My previous car was Agate Grey, and I found the Dr. ColorChip paint to be a terrific match, and easy to use. After touch up of a few chips, I had a hard time finding them again, even knowing where they were.

MoeMistry 03-26-2019 12:17 AM

Near impossible to match metallic paints. Your best bet is to just have them touched up to prevent further damage such as rust.

If you want it perfect, you’ll need to repaint. But if your expectations are low, touch up does the job. Porsche touch up is the best. Just super hard to make the metallic flakes to match.

salayc 03-26-2019 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 15729113)
Near impossible to match metallic paints. Your best bet is to just have them touched up to prevent further damage such as rust.

If you want it perfect, you’ll need to repaint. But if your expectations are low, touch up does the job. Porsche touch up is the best. Just super hard to make the metallic flakes to match.

You would think, but I have Porsche touch up (more than one to make sure) and it's not a matter of getting flakes to match. On Agate, the color is not even close. It's definitely not the first metallic car I have touched up, but the color was so far off, I even thought my car must not be Agate - it is.

salayc 05-15-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway (Post 15726019)
My previous car was Agate Grey, and I found the Dr. ColorChip paint to be a terrific match, and easy to use. After touch up of a few chips, I had a hard time finding them again, even knowing where they were.

This turned out to be good advice. The Dr. Colorchip Agate is a much better match than Porsche's own touchup.

Daft Chief 06-29-2021 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by salayc (Post 15842083)
This turned out to be good advice. The Dr. Colorchip Agate is a much better match than Porsche's own touchup.

As someone looking to spec an Agate 992, do you regret the color choice after going through this?

salayc 06-29-2021 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Daft Chief (Post 17521147)
As someone looking to spec an Agate 992, do you regret the color choice after going through this?

I would hope Porsche fixed this, but no I don't regret Agate, it's a terrific color, I've had a 991.1 and 991.2 in Agate.