Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat shifting a GTS (or non GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:08 AM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Flat shifting a GTS (or non GT3)

I've been reading some threads about flat-shifting the GT3. Does anyone know if this is possible in non-GT3 models? I have a 991.2 GTS but it's kinda new and I don't want to over-rev the engine so thought I'd check first.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m curious about this as well. But being a track rat and 42 years old. Not sure I can undo instinct.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

The "no lift shift" function is mentioned on this page in the GT3 manual (under "Information" in the middle). It is my understanding that this function is not in the Carrera MT cars. You can double check by checking your manual and seeing if the "no lift shift" function is mentioned in the manual. I think you will find that is is not.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:33 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

You can check by accelerating very slowly - low rpm - leave your foot gently on the gas, and depress clutch and shift. In the new GT3's -the revs drop and it's obvious it has the functionality.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:18 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Back in 60's it was called "power shifting". Nearing redline, a VERY carefully coordinated, VERY quick stab on the clutch, with a simultaneous, bang, on the shift lever was used, while maintaining pressure on the gas pedal. If done quickly enough, revs did not usually climb enough to gernade the engine. Lack of fully coordinated clutch and shift lever action could be expensive.

Skill in power shifting was prized in certain circles,
Old 03-09-2019, 06:50 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

It won’t grenade the engine as you will bounce off the rev limiter. Your transmission and clutch will probably not like it though.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
I've been reading some threads about flat-shifting the GT3. Does anyone know if this is possible in non-GT3 models? I have a 991.2 GTS but it's kinda new and I don't want to over-rev the engine so thought I'd check first.
Whether or not the GTS has the described GT3 "flat shift" functionality, you're not going to over-rev the engine. On anything other than a forced, incorrect downshift, the ECU will rev-limit the engine.

Seems like it would be easy enough to test... 3rd or 4th gear, plenty of throttle, maybe 5K RPM, and just momentarily dip the clutch without doing anything with the shift lever. If the rev's drop, you have the functionality. If they climb, you don't. The functionality seems to be triggered by the clutch press, not moving the shifter, so this test should let you know.

But even if you floor the car with the clutch in or in neutral, the ECU simply will not let you over-rev the engine.

I'd love to know the answer to this, particularly with 991.2 cars with sport chrono, so please report back if/when you figure it out.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No, 991.1 GTS does NOT like power shifting/ no lift shifts. Clutch grab is too weak. Engine revs just stay high until clutch finally grabs. I’ve tried it at the track on many occasions and it’s a no go.

One of the few disappointments I’ve had in my otherwise wonderful car. Anyone know of an aftermarket clutch with better bite? I searched, but didn’t find much for non GT3 cars.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a separate topic, but related to the manual page shown above: I *really* wish that the "upshift indicator" could be disabled. Or that it disabled itself in Sport (or other performance modes). Yes, I've mostly grown to ignore it by now, but it's still irksome!
Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

The Cobb off the shelf tunes add this functionality to some cars. Surprisingly even to my Fiesta ST. Apparently not something they have incorporated into their Porsche tunes.

It does make me wonder if it is something that could be flashed at some point or that Cobb might sort out on 991.2s.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:41 AM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Whether or not the GTS has the described GT3 "flat shift" functionality, you're not going to over-rev the engine. On anything other than a forced, incorrect downshift, the ECU will rev-limit the engine.

Seems like it would be easy enough to test... 3rd or 4th gear, plenty of throttle, maybe 5K RPM, and just momentarily dip the clutch without doing anything with the shift lever. If the rev's drop, you have the functionality. If they climb, you don't. The functionality seems to be triggered by the clutch press, not moving the shifter, so this test should let you know.

But even if you floor the car with the clutch in or in neutral, the ECU simply will not let you over-rev the engine.

I'd love to know the answer to this, particularly with 991.2 cars with sport chrono, so please report back if/when you figure it out.
I tried it, no dice (as suggested). Also.. just for clarity.. I wasn't concerned about over-revving the engine generally, just specifically because the engine is new (it had 6 miles on it when I picked it up). I know there is some debate about the run-in on new engines (and whether it's really necessary), but even the dealer who personally thought it was a load of bollocks advised me to avoid red-lining until 1,000 miles or so.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

On my 718 CGTS with rev match active no lift shift is seamless.

Peter
Old 12-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
On my 718 CGTS with rev match active no lift shift is seamless.

Peter
I know this is an old thread - but you’re saying you’ve actually tried this in a manual shift 718 & the “no lift” worked (you did not lift your foot off accelerator but the accelerator “paused” & you did not get slippage when you re-engaged)? Asking because this feature is spelled out (as shown above) in GT3 owner’s manual but not in 718/991.2 owner’s manual so I’m leery of trying it - it’s odd that all those vehicles would have the functionality but only one would mention it.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:47 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

A no lift shift programming to the manual couldn't be much of a challenge to Porsche engineers, Chevrolet has it and as outlined previously, other Porsche models feature it.

Could it be they don't want too much performance from the "lesser' models on acceleration? That's my tin foil hat conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
I tried it, no dice (as suggested). Also.. just for clarity.. I wasn't concerned about over-revving the engine generally, just specifically because the engine is new (it had 6 miles on it when I picked it up). I know there is some debate about the run-in on new engines (and whether it's really necessary), but even the dealer who personally thought it was a load of bollocks advised me to avoid red-lining until 1,000 miles or so.
Agreed - it doesn’t exist on the non-GT cars. Not sure we are all talking about the same thing here if someone thinks it exists on a 718GTS, but the description in the GT3 Owner’s manual above is pretty cut & dry - floor the throttle, shift (with clutch) without lifting off gas. Seems like it would be awesome & all the more reason a GT3 still remains so desireable

Quick Reply: Flat shifting a GTS (or non GT3)