Sponsored by:

Flat shifting a GTS (or non GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 03:30 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
A no lift shift programming to the manual couldn't be much of a challenge to Porsche engineers, Chevrolet has it and as outlined previously, other Porsche models feature it.

Could it be they don't want too much performance from the "lesser' models on acceleration? That's my tin foil hat conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it!
I don’t disagree that technology is there - Porsche is NOTORIOUS for playing “keep-away” with desirable features to promote upgrading. Like the rev-match in SC, it’s likely something that can be hacked with the correct PIWIS & the wherewithal to try different configurations. I don’t think anyone is even CLOSE with PIWIS III (maybe they never will be?), which is why there is no options for tunes outside of sending it in for a “bench-flash”/hack. Oh well
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
On my 718 CGTS with rev match active no lift shift is seamless.

Peter
Hey Peter, I am curious about what you have found here, not mentioned in the manual and thus far nobody else chiming in with their findings. Have you done this more than once and do you know any other 718's that have done it?

Is this a factory stock ECU, no Tunes or changes made to enable no-lift-shift?

Old 02-07-2020, 05:24 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
The Cobb off the shelf tunes add this functionality to some cars. Surprisingly even to my Fiesta ST. Apparently not something they have incorporated into their Porsche tunes.

It does make me wonder if it is something that could be flashed at some point or that Cobb might sort out on 991.2s.
I was going to say same thing. I remember when they added FFS to the WRX/STI's
Old 02-08-2020, 12:15 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Hey Peter, I am curious about what you have found here, not mentioned in the manual and thus far nobody else chiming in with their findings. Have you done this more than once and do you know any other 718's that have done it?

Is this a factory stock ECU, no Tunes or changes made to enable no-lift-shift?
I’ve asked him several times to respond for clarification - true “no lift shift” does not exist on the 718, maybe he was getting it confused with rev matching.
Having said that, a tune to accomplish that would be AWESOME!
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (02-08-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Trapperj
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
It won’t grenade the engine as you will bounce off the rev limiter. Your transmission and clutch will probably not like it though.

“IF” the process is done correctly and you select the right gear, of course it’ll be fine. Now, less pretend for a moment. Your adrenaline is pumping and your nearing red line in 4th gear. You quickly make a stab at the clutch and go for 5th gear. You miss the gate for 5th and instead hit the 3rd gear slot. Not realizing this you are quickly off the clutch while remaining WOT.

This exact thing happened to me in 1999 in a brand new C5 fixed roof coupe. I was in a hurry to get into 5th because of the huge drop off between 4th gear (@1.00 in 4th to .75 in 5th) and the steep overdrive the Corvette engineers fitted in the C5. Imagine all that rotating mass causing the engine to spin. One math guru friend estimated 9500 RPMs. As quickly as I could, I selected 5th gear, but it was too late.

the CEL blinked off and on, and the car allowed me to drive home. Limp mode. The car had a slight miss. I was scared to death.
long story short, GM repaired on their dime. Every penny. Once the mechanic had made the repairs to the top end, he mentioned to me he needed to look for the “cause” perhaps in the bottom end of the engine. That’s when I come clean & told him exactly what happened. He said to me “oh, then it was driver error” and wrote those very words on the repair order.

all the nanny’s in Heaven couldn’t stop it from over revving.

I was lucky with GM. I’m pretty sure Porsche would have handed me the bill. I don’t speed shift anymore.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Trapperj
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
It won’t grenade the engine as you will bounce off the rev limiter. Your transmission and clutch will probably not like it though.

“IF” the process is done correctly and you select the right gear, of course it’ll be fine. Now, less pretend for a moment. Your adrenaline is pumping and your nearing red line in 4th gear. You quickly make a stab at the clutch and go for 5th gear. You miss the gate for 5th and instead hit the 3rd gear slot. Not realizing this you are quickly off the clutch while remaining WOT.

This exact thing happened to me in 1999 in a brand new C5 fixed roof coupe. I was in a hurry to get into 5th because of the huge drop off between 4th gear (@1.00 in 4th to .75 in 5th) and the steep overdrive the Corvette engineers fitted in the C5. Imagine all that rotating mass causing the engine to spin. One math guru friend estimated 9500 RPMs. As quickly as I could, I selected 5th gear, but it was too late.

the CEL blinked off and on, and the car allowed me to drive home. Limp mode. The car had a slight miss. I was scared to death.
long story short, GM repaired on their dime. Every penny. Once the mechanic had made the repairs to the top end, he mentioned to me he needed to look for the “cause” perhaps in the bottom end of the engine. That’s when I come clean & told him exactly what happened. He said to me “oh, then it was driver error” and wrote those very words on the repair order.

I was lucky with GM. I’m pretty sure Porsche would have handed me the bill. I don’t speed shift anymore.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Trapperj

all the nanny’s in Heaven couldn’t stop it from over revving.

Good story to share, and wise choice!

Regarding speed shifting, I figure it is a curious feature people like to say they have in their car, but unless you are employed to win that race, it could be an expensive day!

Quick Reply: Flat shifting a GTS (or non GT3)