Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust options 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Not to start a war or anything, but the cat comments are quite ignorant.

Removing a CAT will cause increased emissions of gasses that would normally be "scrubbed" by the heated cat element. Yes, it's not that good for environment...but neither are cars in general. If environmental concerns are near and dear to your heart, don't drive a 911 and advocate for reduced emissions. Get a Turbo hybrid Pan or Cayenne. Or get a Tesla and charge it solely through the Tesla solar panels.

CATs muffle the sound. Removing them increases sound. If you think removing a cat makes a car sound like an Acura, you should get your hearing checked. Sure, an Acura without a cat will probably sound like an Acura. A Porsche without a CAT won't make the 9A2 sound like a K20. It's gonna sound like a 92A, but louder.

Exhaust mods are subjective. I like em loud and I enjoy hearing the engine and it's components. Some/most people don't. It's an opinion. Don't try and force it on someone.
State facts, not opinions.

Last edited by Aatish; 02-23-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: I'll be nice.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:58 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Perhaps a good night's sleep is in order coupled with a resolution not to call other people--other fellow Porsche enthusiasts--names? One of the things I have liked about this forum is that most people on it are gentlemen...or gentlewomen.

God bless,
TT
Old 02-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Tom's got the right idea.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish

Removing a CAT will cause increased emissions of gasses that would normally be "scrubbed" by the heated cat element. Yes, it's not that good for environment...but neither are cars in general. If environmental concerns are near and dear to your heart, don't drive a 911 and advocate for reduced emissions. Get a Turbo hybrid Pan or Cayenne. Or get a Tesla and charge it solely through the Tesla solar panels.

CATs muffle the sound. Removing them increases sound. If you think removing a cat makes a car sound like an Acura, you should get your hearing checked. Sure, an Acura without a cat will probably sound like an Acura. A Porsche without a CAT won't make the 9A2 sound like a K20. It's gonna sound like a 92A, but louder.

Exhaust mods are subjective. I like em loud and I enjoy hearing the engine and it's components. Some/most people don't. It's an opinion. Don't try and force it on someone.
Actually catalytic converters GREATLY reduces the harmful gases from cars. Almost night and day differences in terms amounts of pollutants released into the air. It would probably not be an exaggeration to compare a car with cats and no cats to regular cars and hybrids.

Since we are on this topic, check out this awesome video here on cats
Old 02-24-2019, 05:09 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Mark993TT: BGB performance has them on his car and is a dealer for them. Search for his Yellow 991.2 and posts from him for his thoughts..

Cargraphic makes high quality parts so nothing bad to say about the cats that I have ever heard.
Thanks, will do.

i have had the cargraphic stage 1 tune on my 993 turbo, included cats and muffler
Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
Actually catalytic converters GREATLY reduces the harmful gases from cars. Almost night and day differences in terms amounts of pollutants released into the air. It would probably not be an exaggeration to compare a car with cats and no cats to regular cars and hybrids.

Since we are on this topic, check out this awesome video here on cats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJiznlz5buc
Exactly right. The difference in the smog-forming emissions between a car with cats and one without is 100 to 1. The difference between a car with cats and a hybrid is perhaps 2 or 3 to 1.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:28 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

The facts are simple - Going Catless is illegal in most states and as someone just posted a video, emissions are very high vs with cats. Also, no one is forcing one to get a Prius but simply abide by the laws.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

You guys are comparing extremes.
Factory cats are the most restrictive you can buy and straight pipes obviously have no restrictions at all.

The vast majority of us opt for sport cats which is a more free flowing catalytic converter that allows the engine to breath better, increase horsepower and still reduce emissions.
They aren't illegal, They pass smog tests. They arent as loud as straight pipes, but louder than stock cats.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sali1980
The facts are simple - Going Catless is illegal in most states and as someone just posted a video, emissions are very high vs with cats. Also, no one is forcing one to get a Prius but simply abide by the laws.

Sure it's illegal, I'm not denying that. So are tinted windows, not having a front plate, and hanging stuff of the rearview mirror...

I never called that out, and thats a good thing that you pointed it out. It's a risk. I'm ok with taking that risk. Some might not be. That's on them.

But some of the other comments made against catless, and even running after market cats, are downright ignorant; mainly those regarding sound, performance, and regarding the emissions, in some cases.
I'm trying to keep things fair and balanced; modding the emissions systems of the car has positives, though the positivity is deemed off what you value.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Tom, bless you for that avatar pic. Your black car from that angle stops me every time I see it. And I owe you a response from another thread—which is to say nothin' wrong with loving the factory PSE! Reading through this thread, it makes me question if that really isn't the best route. I'd like a little more voice, but not crazy about all the risk factors with aftermarket exhaust parts. There are probably only two companies I would try one from, and neither make something for the 991.2. For the time being, I'll stick with stock.

Originally Posted by basic666

Since we are on this topic, check out this awesome video here on cats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJiznlz5buc
Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Exactly right. The difference in the smog-forming emissions between a car with cats and one without is 100 to 1. The difference between a car with cats and a hybrid is perhaps 2 or 3 to 1.
Originally Posted by sali1980
^ Thank you.

Cat delete is a morally reprehensible move on a street car. There, I said it.

Secondarily, it's illegal. I suppose one can try to compare removing a car's emissions system to other infractions like those mentioned, such as tinted windows or front plates, as "also breaking the law,'" but the difference is it's no infraction in the eyes of CARB and other entities. Shops can lose their licenses, people can lose their jobs, etc.—and anyone unfortunate enough to be following or even near a car so modified has their health affected. All so someone can enjoy "better sound" or (0-5%) "more power" in a car that was massively cleaner?

To some extent, all of us here are living in glass houses. We've all made (and will make) mistakes, but let's be honest: This isn't like front plates or "a little over." It's one of those moves that makes the whole hobby look bad, like the driver leaving Cars and Coffee sideways and into a crowd or weaving through an interstate full of minivans at 120+. We can and should do better.

Last edited by stout; 02-24-2019 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (05-03-2021)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Apologies to Tom for hijacking his thread.
Let's stay on topic. If we want to duke it out regarding cat vs. catless, I'll create a separate thread.

PSE is the safe and subtle route.
There are a handful of other exhaust options, which are not as optimized for the platform...doesn't mean they're bad.
- Fabspeed X-Pipe
- Kline
- Akrapovic
- Speedtech
- GMG
- iPE Exhaust
- FI Exhaust
- Soul
Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

& the Germans
- Cargraphic
- FVD
- Techart
Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Apologies to Tom for hijacking his thread.
Let's stay on topic. If we want to duke it out regarding cat vs. catless, I'll create a separate thread.
l
^ And apologies to you for sounding harsh above. I definitely don't mean it as an attack on you personally—and we should be able to disagree on something and still have a beer or cup of coffee anyway. I am here to learn, too.

But I'll admit this subject gets under my skin, mainly due to the lack of good info around it (which I know you are passionate about to, even if we see it differently). I don't really have much of a problem with high-flow cats in the way I do with cat delete—but I must admit I'd like to learn more about aftermarket cats. I know there are gains in sound and power to be had, but I am curious about longevity as well as what can/could happen if the core breaks up.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:50 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Stout: I love when I read these baseless claims about longevity and how aftermarket cats don't last as long or have performance benefits.

Has anyone ever heard of an aftermarket cat failing? I think I read on RL of one AM cat getting clogged and recently one factory cat getting clogged.
It just doesn't happen and to state it as fact is inaccurate. AND I am pretty sure any of the AM cat manufacturers would stand behind a failure or defect.
I'm also pretty sure that the AM cat guys all use the same cores which are of even higher quality than the factory Porsche cores.
AND how long do you expect to own your car? 3 years? 6 years? 9 years? Do you think these cats can't last 9 years?
Neither the factory 991 cats nor the aftermarket cats have been around 9 years to know, but as of now they both seem to be going strong.

The performance advantages of lower cell count cats has been proven over and over on every sports car model. Before and after dyno tests are a plenty showing HP gains.
Straight pipes provide the most increase in HP, even more than sport cats or stock cats, but that is another discussion altogether.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
& the Germans
- Cargraphic
- FVD
- Techart
Ahh yes. How could I forgot.

Must also include the italians:

- Tubi