Sponsored by:

Jumping right into a 991? Or step up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

"Trust me once you buy one you will start looking for the next one."

If you buy the right one for you and do not settle for something you will NOT start looking for the next one. That used to be the case with me but this is the first car I have ever owned where I am honestly not even thinking about what is next, if anything at all.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
"Trust me once you buy one you will start looking for the next one."

If you buy the right one for you and do not settle for something you will NOT start looking for the next one. That used to be the case with me but this is the first car I have ever owned where I am honestly not even thinking about what is next, if anything at all.
100%.

There isn't a car that exists today at any price point that I'd rather have over my 991.1 S. GT3 touring, but I need the back seats for my kids.

If I had gone for a 997.2 as I originally planned, I'm certain I would have wanted to ditch it off for a 991. The interior on the 997 already looks quite dated to me.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:56 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Bob Z.;15567824]"Trust me once you buy one you will start looking for the next one."

If you buy the right one for you and do not settle for something you will NOT start looking for the next one. That used to be the case with me but this is the first car I have ever owned where I am honestly not even thinking about what is next, if anything at all.[/QUOTE

I disagree with this. I am not implying that it isn't possible, just not likely. As was posted somewhere else on this forum, the difference between say a 911 purchaser and a corvette purchaser is the 911 cohort tends to be more affluent and as such has many options in the segment. It isn't so much that they didn't buy the "perfect" 911 it is more that they have the money to try out different models, newer models or different brands in the segment.

In contrast most Corvette owners have saved extensively for their dream car and tend to keep them for a very long time. This becomes evident when you see many many late model 911s with several owners vs most corvettes being resold have one owner.

Anyway enjoy the process!! It is a blast.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I have a Targa GTS - what more would I want? If I cannot drop the top I do not want it. If I cannot get a manual I do not want it. I have had Vettes, Vipers, BMWs, and others but they all met that criteria. What is that, try a Cab? Nah, the Targa is better and I have had verts as well. I am customizing my Targa now and when it is done so I am I regarding 4 wheel sports cars. Harleys in the other hand...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:40 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

I'd like to add some conjecture to this.

The 911 is no longer the small, dedicated and impractical sports car it used to be. It's not the rear weighted pendulum, widow maker that it used to be either. The car is a very approachable, usable car. If you've always wanted a "911" then get a "911." You'll love it.

Another thought and something to consider. Forget the image and icon of THE "911" and Porsche for that matter. The Boxster/Cayman feel much smaller to drive; even though they aren't different enough in size to matter. If you want a go carty, intimate feel of a dedicated sports car it is worth a consideration. Despite the rumors, an equal gen 911 is always faster and better handling. period. But I'm talking about the desired experience and not bench racing spec sheets. There are quite a few here that started with a 911 and happily traded for a Boxster/cayman. You still get the whole "Porsche experience" in any of their sports cars.

Don't think of it as better/worse unless its only for image. Don't stress over 0-60 or magazine skid pad times unless you're getting paid for your results - then get a GT3RS. Separate the marketing and contemplate what kind of experience you want in a car. That being said - there is no shame in getting a 911 because you simply wanted a 911.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Shap96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I am extremely happy with my ‘19 GTS MT and the only other car I would have considered was a GT3 (with MT) but I’ve been driving turbocharged cars since ‘03 and I love the low-end torque. No feeling whatsoever about wanting to ever trade up. The car has more power than is usable on the road and I don’t plan to track the car so there was no reason to have a track-focused vehicle. Good luck with the car choice.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the mere fact that there are so many variations of the 911 to choose from that much like cures to the common cold if one was clearly the best everyone would choose it. It is nice to have choices!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:14 PM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shap96
FWIW I am extremely happy with my ‘19 GTS MT.
Ditto for me & mine. It's a great package, you won't regret stepping up right away!
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 PM
zivilyn861
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
100%.

There isn't a car that exists today at any price point that I'd rather have over my 991.1 S. GT3 touring, but I need the back seats for my kids.
Agreed! Love mine to death. I went straight to a 991.2. Would’ve loved a GT3, but the wife wanted the back seat for the kids. You know, because it’s practical.

Quick Reply: Jumping right into a 991? Or step up?