Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumping right into a 991? Or step up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

991.2, GTS, take your pick of models as long as it has a stick, turn key, smile & drive.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Buy the best car you can afford to pay with cash. You must come from money ( or have a rich daddy/daddy in law) to have 0$ on loans even before starting as an attending, so if $$ not a major issue , jump into a 911. YOLO.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma1416
Buy the best car you can afford to pay with cash. You must come from money ( or have a rich daddy/daddy in law) to have 0$ on loans even before starting as an attending, so if $$ not a major issue , jump into a 911. YOLO.
Agree. Most new Dr's are strapped to $300k in student loans. Porsche's are a want, not a need and bought my first Porsche one year ago, pre-owned and paid cash at 48 yrs old. New doctors like to justify all their hard work in school and go on a spending spree when they get their first job. Pay off your student loans, have a cash emergency fund, buy your house and then buy your Porsche with cash.
The YOLO mentality is ridiculous because a person will drown themselves with debt before they know. it.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Cane94
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 997.2 GT3 CPO and 987 spyder CPO. Drove a 18 991.2 GTS the other day at dealer for perspective. IMO, not even close. The interior of GTS was disappointing, PDK was boring, and felt the interior components of GTS were not up to what a Porsche should be. Having a loaded GT3 with every available option may have tainted my perspective of the 991.2. The 997.2 has been by some described as the best 911 ever made and throw in the Mezger motor and you have the last of a breed. The Spyder is also special, sexy car, but totally different experience. As my first P car I would look at a 16 GT4, incredibly fun, not a lot around, unique, fantastic engineering. It has the old Carrera S motor (naturally aspirated) 385 hp so you get 911 motor in a well balanced chassis. . You will never want to sell and then maybe add another p car down the road. My 2 cents! Congrats on your professional achievement!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Cardiology consult note:
Saw an article on doximity about 8 ways Doctors go broke. 911 wasnt on there. Youre good to go, baby!!

Assessment
1. Porsche deficiency
2. Working too much
3. Cool wife

Recommendations
1. Buy 911
2. Buy porsche for wife
3. Thank me later
Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma1416
I had a combination of parental help and then DINKing for a while with a level headed wife to get out of student loan debt. Made 50% on my residency house when I sold it in 2017. Combo of being very fortunate, and working hard/smart. Still on a 720p 50" TV from 2011.

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Agree. Most new Dr's are strapped to $300k in student loans. Porsche's are a want, not a need and bought my first Porsche one year ago, pre-owned and paid cash at 48 yrs old. New doctors like to justify all their hard work in school and go on a spending spree when they get their first job. Pay off your student loans, have a cash emergency fund, buy your house and then buy your Porsche with cash.
The YOLO mentality is ridiculous because a person will drown themselves with debt before they know. it.
Absolutely. I know its a want. If you make 400 and spend 405 youre just as broke as everybody else. But once again, this isn't about the finance. I was just asking if the 991 is truly appreciated or should I go 997 for a bit. I have turbo lust currently and the 3.0 is a great way to get in there. Was spoiled by my BMW tuning ease/cost. But I've had heavy cars, so a 3200 lb 2wd car sounds wonderful.

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Cardiology consult note:
Saw an article on doximity about 8 ways Doctors go broke. 911 wasnt on there. Youre good to go, baby!!

Assessment
1. Porsche deficiency
2. Working too much
3. Cool wife

Recommendations
1. Buy 911D_
2. Buy porsche for wife
3. Thank me later
4. atorvastatin 20mg/ASA 81mg
Fixed for you. Don't forget to send me your crappy in stent stenoses :-D

Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Atorvastatin 40 mg at least. Come on man this isn't 2012.

Nor do you need to be buying a car that old. Realistically, you could get a starter 991.2 CPO for a good discount, then figure out what you really want in terms of options then make a custom order
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
But once again, this isn't about the finance. I was just asking if the 991 is truly appreciated or should I go 997 for a bit. I have turbo lust currently and the 3.0 is a great way to get in there. Was spoiled by my BMW tuning ease/cost. But I've had heavy cars, so a 3200 lb 2wd car sounds wonderful.
I've had a 997 and have driven others. Trust me, you don't want a 997 compared to a 991. I'm on 991 number two and three currently, and they feel and drive like they're a couple of generations newer than the 997. If I were you I'd get a 991.2 GTS, that's my current favorite. I didn't like the S or Turbo as much as the GTS, and although I have a 991.2 GT3 as well, if I had to pare it down to one car I'd keep the GTS. With a tune and some simple mods it's a beast.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine

Recommendations
1. Buy 911
2. Buy porsche for wife
3. Thank me later
#2 is very important aspect of the equation. Maybe its not a Porsche that does it for her though. I got mine a Macan Turbo but traded it on a Land Rover Sport SVR few months later which she absolutely loves. That trade bought me 2 trades to find right car this summer just because she loves her car so much. That thing is truly amazing though. Now she has her dream car and I have mine and we all good. Lopsided deal does not work too well, I have tried that way too.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 PM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Parenting" & second guessing of a c-t surgeon on RList makes me wanna hurl. Go get the Porsche you want! Drive, enjoy, operate, bust your ***, repeat. Simple
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

The upcoming 718s would pique my interest, particularly if they are of the 6-cylinder variety.

There's an ongoing love-hate thread running on the 992 you may want to look into if that model is of interest. The full spread of the new model range will take time to emerge.

I ordered a '19 C4S my way and glad I did (992 price increase and undesired features). GTS is indeed praised by many, just had equipment/trim that didn't appeal to me, hence the Carrera.

Good luck, enjoy the rewards for your hard work/studies.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

You know your own situation, just drive a few pre-owned cars and see what works for you. You honestly can't go wrong with any. Since you did mention you have gotten used to the turbo charged cars and the ease of tuning them for more power, you may want to shy away from the 991.1 then. I personally love the 991.1 NA "S" engine, it's a gem.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:19 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSdds
"Parenting" & second guessing of a c-t surgeon on RList makes me wanna hurl. Go get the Porsche you want! Drive, enjoy, operate, bust your ***, repeat. Simple
Yeah, i know it’s laughable some of the attitudes on here.

991.2 GTS for the young Dr. and your done. If that’s the the only toy you buy for a couple of years you’re totally fine. If you get a 997, you’ll just want a newer P car soon anyway.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I wanted a 911 my entire life. i wanted it "by this date" or "by this age". wife happened, kids happened, life happened and i missed all those dates.

one weekend ~ago i went to the dealership and bought a 2014 C4S off the lot. it was a great day. i never drove it. literally never. the summer of my second year of ownership, the car had 3000 miles on it. i decided to drive it daily. it made every day more fun. i sold it a year later with 11000 miles on it. i sold it because i learned about what i needed and what i wanted in a car. i had some questions that needed to be answered. Did i need a GTS? Would a base 991.2 with a tune be more fun to me and a bigger bang for the buck?

I made it about 2 months without a 911. Now i have a C2 PDK PSE non-sport chrono. Ive learned that sport chrono is something i want. The C2 is more fun to drive than the C4S. It also feels meaningfully faster.

Bottom line, is I wanted a porsche so I finally got one and i will never go back.

agree on the 991.2 GTS. the car will completely outdrive you and is as fast as just about anything on the street.

good luck man, its so much fun from this point on...
Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

First of all congrats OP to getting your first "real" job. That is a very exciting time in life. There is lots of great advice on this forum. In my opinion, as long as you keep yourself out of divorce court you can afford to get any 911 you want. Now which one is best for you is something only you can determine. Which city will you live in? Does it snow? If so maybe AWD is important. etc. Forced induction vs not...

I would determine what your budget is at this point and then look at what you can get within that budget whether it is new or slightly used. Half the fun is looking. Trust me once you buy one you will start looking for the next one. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide on! Congrats again.

Quick Reply: Jumping right into a 991? Or step up?