Sponsored by:

SPASM springs for a 991.2 Targa GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 04:01 PM
MAC429
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPASM springs for a 991.2 Targa GTS

Hello, Im new to the forum, thanks in advance for any feedback. I have a 2019 991.2 Targa GTS on order. When building it out Sport PASM isnt available for the Targa, I could only get the standard PASM so my question is 2 fold.

1) Why no SPASM option for the Targa but available for the coupe? Seems odd Porsche gives you a choice for one and not the other. (I seem to recall SPASM isnt available for the convertibles either)
2) Because I prefer the lower ride height of the sport PASM (another 10mm) for a total of 20mm lower than standard setup, could I just order the SPASM springs from Porsche and have them installed with no issues? I know I can go to the usual suspects and buy aftermarket springs and lower the car, but I think Id prefer the SPASM springs that would come with the coupe just because they are made by Porsche and the spring rates are probably better assuming I could install the factory SPASM spring on my car.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 12-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

1. Not sure why they did this. Targas all sit higher than coupes. Might have something to do with the weight and balance of the car.

2. Yes you can install SPASM or aftermarket lowering springs.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:14 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Well, this is a good question. There is actually a video from MotoMan on youtube (i'm flying and can't get the link) where he actually interviews one of the lead engineers on the Targa product. There is a good reason the converts and targa sit a bit higher. Seek that video out for an answer.

Enjoy your Targa.

Cheers.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

SPASM, in addition to shorter and stiffer springs, includes stiffer sway bars- all tuned to the coupe dynamics. So be cautious- you may sit lower and give up something else. I would check with a competent suspension shop (like TPC Racing in Jessup MD) to see if there are any issues and ways to resolve them.

See:
about 3 min in. Concern seems potential for rattles.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
SPASM, in addition to shorter and stiffer springs, includes stiffer sway bars- all tuned to the coupe dynamics. So be cautious- you may sit lower and give up something else. I would check with a competent suspension shop (like TPC Racing in Jessup MD) to see if there are any issues and ways to resolve them.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBBuDYSd46k about 3 min in. Concern seems potential for rattles.
That paint job is so bad! Yikes!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:44 PM
MAC429
6th Gear

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBBuDYSd46k about 3 min in. Concern seems potential for rattles.
Ha! Quite impressed that you could reference this video and his comments on this! Tanks for this. I'm calling bull**** on Mr. Hokum the Porsche engineer on the stiffness issue pertaining to creaks and rattles from the stiffer SPASM. I just sold my 2015 Boxster GTS (a convertible) and it had the factory sport suspension that was stiffer and 20mm lower than standard suspension, hence, why would they option it that way if they had these issues in mind? hmmmmm. Anyway, I'll probably keep it stock as it doesn't look too bad with the dreaded wheel gap, but he does bring up a good point. I ordered it with PDCC and rear steering so Im sure the handling will be quite good even w/o the SPASM option....but man would it look sick with the ride height of a GT3!
The following users liked this post:
Blanco911 (09-18-2022)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:41 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC429
Ha! Quite impressed that you could reference this video and his comments on this! Tanks for this. I'm calling bull**** on Mr. Hokum the Porsche engineer on the stiffness issue pertaining to creaks and rattles from the stiffer SPASM. I just sold my 2015 Boxster GTS (a convertible) and it had the factory sport suspension that was stiffer and 20mm lower than standard suspension, hence, why would they option it that way if they had these issues in mind? hmmmmm. Anyway, I'll probably keep it stock as it doesn't look too bad with the dreaded wheel gap, but he does bring up a good point. I ordered it with PDCC and rear steering so Im sure the handling will be quite good even w/o the SPASM option....but man would it look sick with the ride height of a GT3!
I have SPASM on my 12.5 C2S and with Michelin Supersports find that it is quite supple even in SportPlus with the engine mounts tightened up. It feels more sporty than normal ride hight cars and with 5mm spacers is just distinctive enough that it gets looked over bu other 991 owner.

But face it, any 991 with PDCC and RWS has superb handling. Lowering the center of gravity has good effects and looks good too. But you have a frigging Targa and that looks terrific in any configuration!
Old 12-29-2018, 11:42 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

Someone on a different thread reported that the Targa’s have two “perch” settings and that they come from the factory set at the lower perch (= higher ride height). No one has yet verified that this is true, but if so, would be the cleanest and safest way to lower the ride height.

Has anyone confirmed that there are multiple shock settings on a stock Targa?

DaveGee
Old 12-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

^ Definitely would be interesting to know if this is true. For what it’s worth, I put H&R lowering springs on my Boxster along with X73 sway bar as it was used and had everything I wanted except for the suspension. It looked like a 4x4 prior to installing the springs and now it looks great as well as handles and rides very well. I’ve had the springs on the car for 4 years with no issues. As a matter of fact, the ride is more supple than my recently traded 2017 C2S with comfort setting tire pressures (with SPASM with PDCC and RAS).

edit: I won’t have my Targa for another couple of months otherwise I would be able to confirm if there are 2 perch settings.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:16 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Someone on a different thread reported that the Targa’s have two “perch” settings and that they come from the factory set at the lower perch (= higher ride height). No one has yet verified that this is true, but if so, would be the cleanest and safest way to lower the ride height.

Has anyone confirmed that there are multiple shock settings on a stock Targa?

DaveGee
Just a rumor.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just a rumor.
But it was on the internet!!!!

DaveGee
Old 04-13-2019, 11:00 AM
ROBBIEGG
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC429
Hello, Im new to the forum, thanks in advance for any feedback. I have a 2019 991.2 Targa GTS on order. When building it out Sport PASM isnt available for the Targa, I could only get the standard PASM so my question is 2 fold.

1) Why no SPASM option for the Targa but available for the coupe? Seems odd Porsche gives you a choice for one and not the other. (I seem to recall SPASM isnt available for the convertibles either)
2) Because I prefer the lower ride height of the sport PASM (another 10mm) for a total of 20mm lower than standard setup, could I just order the SPASM springs from Porsche and have them installed with no issues? I know I can go to the usual suspects and buy aftermarket springs and lower the car, but I think Id prefer the SPASM springs that would come with the coupe just because they are made by Porsche and the spring rates are probably better assuming I could install the factory SPASM spring on my car.

Thanks,

Marc
Hi Marc,

Have you purchased SPASM springs yet? I have SPASM on my '18 GTS and am switching to Techart springs so will be selling mine if you are interested. Cheers.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBBIEGG
Hi Marc,

Have you purchased SPASM springs yet? I have SPASM on my '18 GTS and am switching to Techart springs so will be selling mine if you are interested. Cheers.

Id be interested in these if you still have them, just picked up a 991.2 C4s that could use the sport springs as it came with normal PASM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Techarts going on my ‘19 GTS next week, so will have SPASM springs available for sale as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:44 AM
MAC429
6th Gear

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I have Techarts going on my ‘19 GTS next week, so will have SPASM springs available for sale as well.
Gents, question, did you swap stock PASM spring for a SPASM spring and now getting rid of them for a Techart spring? You seem to be implying that your car came with a Sport PASM spring..which you can get with the coupe, but can’t get the SPASM option on targas and cabs. Anyway, why are you swapping the SPASM spring for a Techart ..just curious

Quick Reply: SPASM springs for a 991.2 Targa GTS