Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   SPASM springs for a 991.2 Targa GTS (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1121023-spasm-springs-for-a-991-2-targa-gts.html)

MAC429 12-28-2018 04:01 PM

SPASM springs for a 991.2 Targa GTS

Hello, Im new to the forum, thanks in advance for any feedback. I have a 2019 991.2 Targa GTS on order. When building it out Sport PASM isnt available for the Targa, I could only get the standard PASM so my question is 2 fold.

1) Why no SPASM option for the Targa but available for the coupe? Seems odd Porsche gives you a choice for one and not the other. (I seem to recall SPASM isnt available for the convertibles either)
2) Because I prefer the lower ride height of the sport PASM (another 10mm) for a total of 20mm lower than standard setup, could I just order the SPASM springs from Porsche and have them installed with no issues? I know I can go to the usual suspects and buy aftermarket springs and lower the car, but I think Id prefer the SPASM springs that would come with the coupe just because they are made by Porsche and the spring rates are probably better assuming I could install the factory SPASM spring on my car.

Thanks,

Marc

Psorcery 12-28-2018 05:06 PM

1. Not sure why they did this. Targas all sit higher than coupes. Might have something to do with the weight and balance of the car.

2. Yes you can install SPASM or aftermarket lowering springs.

phefner 12-28-2018 05:14 PM

Well, this is a good question. There is actually a video from MotoMan on youtube (i'm flying and can't get the link) where he actually interviews one of the lead engineers on the Targa product. There is a good reason the converts and targa sit a bit higher. Seek that video out for an answer.

Enjoy your Targa.

Cheers.

chuckbdc 12-28-2018 05:18 PM

SPASM, in addition to shorter and stiffer springs, includes stiffer sway bars- all tuned to the coupe dynamics. So be cautious- you may sit lower and give up something else. I would check with a competent suspension shop (like TPC Racing in Jessup MD) to see if there are any issues and ways to resolve them.

See:
about 3 min in. Concern seems potential for rattles.

Psorcery 12-28-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 15526883)
SPASM, in addition to shorter and stiffer springs, includes stiffer sway bars- all tuned to the coupe dynamics. So be cautious- you may sit lower and give up something else. I would check with a competent suspension shop (like TPC Racing in Jessup MD) to see if there are any issues and ways to resolve them.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBBuDYSd46k about 3 min in. Concern seems potential for rattles.

That paint job is so bad! Yikes!

MAC429 12-28-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 15526883)

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBBuDYSd46k about 3 min in. Concern seems potential for rattles.

Ha! Quite impressed that you could reference this video and his comments on this! Tanks for this. I'm calling bull**** on Mr. Hokum the Porsche engineer on the stiffness issue pertaining to creaks and rattles from the stiffer SPASM. I just sold my 2015 Boxster GTS (a convertible) and it had the factory sport suspension that was stiffer and 20mm lower than standard suspension, hence, why would they option it that way if they had these issues in mind? hmmmmm. Anyway, I'll probably keep it stock as it doesn't look too bad with the dreaded wheel gap, but he does bring up a good point. I ordered it with PDCC and rear steering so Im sure the handling will be quite good even w/o the SPASM option....but man would it look sick with the ride height of a GT3!

chuckbdc 12-28-2018 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MAC429 (Post 15526956)
Ha! Quite impressed that you could reference this video and his comments on this! Tanks for this. I'm calling bull**** on Mr. Hokum the Porsche engineer on the stiffness issue pertaining to creaks and rattles from the stiffer SPASM. I just sold my 2015 Boxster GTS (a convertible) and it had the factory sport suspension that was stiffer and 20mm lower than standard suspension, hence, why would they option it that way if they had these issues in mind? hmmmmm. Anyway, I'll probably keep it stock as it doesn't look too bad with the dreaded wheel gap, but he does bring up a good point. I ordered it with PDCC and rear steering so Im sure the handling will be quite good even w/o the SPASM option....but man would it look sick with the ride height of a GT3!

I have SPASM on my 12.5 C2S and with Michelin Supersports find that it is quite supple even in SportPlus with the engine mounts tightened up. It feels more sporty than normal ride hight cars and with 5mm spacers is just distinctive enough that it gets looked over bu other 991 owner.

But face it, any 991 with PDCC and RWS has superb handling. Lowering the center of gravity has good effects and looks good too. But you have a frigging Targa and that looks terrific in any configuration!

DaveGee 12-29-2018 11:42 AM

Someone on a different thread reported that the Targa’s have two “perch” settings and that they come from the factory set at the lower perch (= higher ride height). No one has yet verified that this is true, but if so, would be the cleanest and safest way to lower the ride height.

Has anyone confirmed that there are multiple shock settings on a stock Targa?

DaveGee

Stevelev 12-29-2018 06:34 PM

^ Definitely would be interesting to know if this is true. For what it’s worth, I put H&R lowering springs on my Boxster along with X73 sway bar as it was used and had everything I wanted except for the suspension. It looked like a 4x4 prior to installing the springs and now it looks great as well as handles and rides very well. I’ve had the springs on the car for 4 years with no issues. As a matter of fact, the ride is more supple than my recently traded 2017 C2S with comfort setting tire pressures (with SPASM with PDCC and RAS).

edit: I won’t have my Targa for another couple of months otherwise I would be able to confirm if there are 2 perch settings.

Bob Z. 12-30-2018 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by DaveGee (Post 15528275)
Someone on a different thread reported that the Targa’s have two “perch” settings and that they come from the factory set at the lower perch (= higher ride height). No one has yet verified that this is true, but if so, would be the cleanest and safest way to lower the ride height.

Has anyone confirmed that there are multiple shock settings on a stock Targa?

DaveGee

Just a rumor.

DaveGee 12-30-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 15529541)
Just a rumor.

But it was on the internet!!!!

DaveGee

ROBBIEGG 04-13-2019 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MAC429 (Post 15526725)
Hello, Im new to the forum, thanks in advance for any feedback. I have a 2019 991.2 Targa GTS on order. When building it out Sport PASM isnt available for the Targa, I could only get the standard PASM so my question is 2 fold.

1) Why no SPASM option for the Targa but available for the coupe? Seems odd Porsche gives you a choice for one and not the other. (I seem to recall SPASM isnt available for the convertibles either)
2) Because I prefer the lower ride height of the sport PASM (another 10mm) for a total of 20mm lower than standard setup, could I just order the SPASM springs from Porsche and have them installed with no issues? I know I can go to the usual suspects and buy aftermarket springs and lower the car, but I think Id prefer the SPASM springs that would come with the coupe just because they are made by Porsche and the spring rates are probably better assuming I could install the factory SPASM spring on my car.

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Have you purchased SPASM springs yet? I have SPASM on my '18 GTS and am switching to Techart springs so will be selling mine if you are interested. Cheers.

sechsgang 04-15-2019 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ROBBIEGG (Post 15770913)
Hi Marc,

Have you purchased SPASM springs yet? I have SPASM on my '18 GTS and am switching to Techart springs so will be selling mine if you are interested. Cheers.

Id be interested in these if you still have them, just picked up a 991.2 C4s that could use the sport springs as it came with normal PASM.

medtech_expat 04-16-2019 11:05 AM

I have Techarts going on my ‘19 GTS next week, so will have SPASM springs available for sale as well.

MAC429 04-16-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by medtech_expat (Post 15777272)
I have Techarts going on my ‘19 GTS next week, so will have SPASM springs available for sale as well.

Gents, question, did you swap stock PASM spring for a SPASM spring and now getting rid of them for a Techart spring? You seem to be implying that your car came with a Sport PASM spring..which you can get with the coupe, but can’t get the SPASM option on targas and cabs. Anyway, why are you swapping the SPASM spring for a Techart ..just curious