Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold for your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My largest concern is that things just break in the cold. No matter how much you try and heat up the oil and engine, it is still a hard start on the engine and takes a while to get warmed up. And some parts of the car never get warmed up.

Can you even put a block heater in a Porsche? I never even looked to see if it could be done. I know an old assistant of mine had a BMW and there wasn't a spot to put one in, so she had to have a contraption added to the side of her radiator to warm and cycle the radiator fluid.

Another issue my co-worker brought up (he has a Jag he just put away for the winter) is all the gravel they spread out here for traction. His #1 concern was taking extra rocks into his windshield and front of the car. I know I spend each spring spot fixing all the paint that gets chipped on the front of my Tundra and the wife's Tahao, and we don't even bother to repair/replace windshields here until they are pretty well shot. I would not want to be doing that to my TTS.

-TJ

PS. Oh, and I didn't intend to start a debate about climate.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:47 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Yup, as stated above, corrosion. You should see what the undercarriage of a vehicle looks like after one winter driving season.

​​​​​
Go to a car wash that blasts undercarriage. I do after virtually every drive in the winter if it is wet.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
My largest concern is that things just break in the cold. No matter how much you try and heat up the oil and engine, it is still a hard start on the engine and takes a while to get warmed up. And some parts of the car never get warmed up.

Can you even put a block heater in a Porsche? I never even looked to see if it could be done. I know an old assistant of mine had a BMW and there wasn't a spot to put one in, so she had to have a contraption added to the side of her radiator to warm and cycle the radiator fluid.

Another issue my co-worker brought up (he has a Jag he just put away for the winter) is all the gravel they spread out here for traction. His #1 concern was taking extra rocks into his windshield and front of the car. I know I spend each spring spot fixing all the paint that gets chipped on the front of my Tundra and the wife's Tahao, and we don't even bother to repair/replace windshields here until they are pretty well shot. I would not want to be doing that to my TTS.

-TJ

They drive these cars in Germany all winter where it is consistently colder than here. These cars are hearty. Really surprised by the concern over driving thses cars in the winter.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:37 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Go to a car wash that blasts undercarriage. I do after virtually every drive in the winter if it is wet.
I've seen what the local car wash does to wide rear wheels on a Porsche (not mine), so I'll pass.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:41 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
I've seen what the local car wash does to wide rear wheels on a Porsche (not mine), so I'll pass.
No tire rails at most touch-less washes.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

I drove through two winters, washed frequently, including undercarriage - I inspect the car regulary on a lift, I don't see any corrosion or salt related damage.

Life is too short for storing cars away
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (01-26-2022)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 PM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My TTS will be taking its winter nap within a month or so. Major concern is the low temps on summer tires. I have a set of winter wheels and tires already mounted on my Audi S6. That will be the ride for the winter (unless we get an unseasonably warm day).

Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Chicago winter here. Winter tires go in about thanksgiving time, out in March (hopefully). The only major hassle is the cold seats that sends the family jewels up to the armpits. The car takes forever to warm up the cabin. The .2 is definitely faster in that sense than the .1. Only time I wish I had a Tesla for remote pre-heating the car.

Otherwise, I'll drive it everyday in winter, sometimes with the top down if not too freezing outside. These cars are driven in Europe in similar if not worse conditions. The other drivers in winter scare me far more than rust.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy

-TJ

Electric heating pads can be adhered to any flat surface, including the battery. I am sure a dedicated effort could find a way in a 991.

But you are correct about the rock damage. Around here, the "sand" the county spreads looks more like 1/4 inch pebbles.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Let's see, anything under 40 and/or snow and Rumble Bee is staying home.
Summer tires and road salt don't mix too well with cold weather.
Politics aside, common sense dictates we have some climate impact but in the scheme of things we should not give ourselves that much credit. Mother Earth could wipe most of us out with a single hiccup.
Electrical power isn't all that clean, given some of its current sources (coal, nuclear, fuel).
Until solar panels and recharging times improve I can't be convinced of giving up my Internal combustion engines.
To support the cause, I picked up a job closer to home so I'm playing my part in reducing overall driving which benefits otherwise horrible traffic congestion and reduces the load on our crumbling infrastructure. Everyone can do their part...maybe telecommute more frequently etc.
Now come weekends, F U EPA. Nothing stands between the flat 6 or V8. Balance!

Back to temperatures...under 40 I'm in the DD...the 9-yr old 328xi...with the better hydraulic steering than the GTS...
Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

It is unlikely that corrosion alone will make the 911 (or most modern cars for that matter) undriveable. It is far more likely the porsche will suffer a terminal mechanical problem before rust makes it un-roadworthy. Having said that, I will be putting my car away for the winter- not due to rustaphobia but because I don't feel like swapping for snow tires.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:23 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Nothing is too cold. For those who has not seen that, take a look. It is educational at least.
https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/blog/norwegian-nomad/
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
The other drivers in winter scare me far more than rust.
This is the real danger of winter driving by far...
Old 11-01-2018, 07:44 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

For me it's not that the car can't do it's more I don't need it too. The stuff they throw on the roads here ( my town drops volcanic rock pebbles, it's like getting a sandblast) is like shrapnel so why drive it just to have to deal with the aftermath in the spring.
I know the TTS is capable but for me it's why? I hop in the AWD suv in the winter and don't care what happens to it. Don't have to change tires or driving habits. In a few weeks maybe sooner it's going to sleep.
Building a house in Florida so once I call work as it is now quits I'll be driving it year round.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

When the tires turn to hockey pucks and little rattles etc. appear in the interior because everything's cold. Also, my TTS seems to like 30C weather better than 3C weather as far as power production. It's "snappy" but it doesn't put down as much force.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for your 911?