991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold for your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018 | 10:25 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

For my 964 in Alaska winters, I made sure all the lubricants were synthetic and had real winter tires (Nokians) and a new battery. On the coldest days, I went outside during work once or twice to start it to avoid a 10 hour cold soak.
Old 10-30-2018 | 10:42 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Taking this thread seriously, temperature makes two things matter:

1 tire compound. Summer P zeroes are hockey pucks below 50F

2. Road salt. Eats cars

The later is my limiting factor and the 991 gets tenderized and goes into hibernation around Thanksgiving. This is usually the latest it's warm enough for a good wash and detail before storage

I'm highly confident the car would be fine with snow tires

Last edited by n8kruger; 10-30-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2018 | 10:59 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I can't bring myself to subject this car to winter driving conditions. I want to keep it for a long time. If I viewed it as a disposable car, I'd just slap some winter tires on and away I'd go. I can't see myself wanting to swap this car for anything else as there is nothing new that Porsche makes that fits the bill for me.

I'm hibernating the car tomorrow actually. It's just now to the point where early-morning temps here in Calgary are around 0C/32F, so it's too cold to be driving (safely) on the summer tires on a regular basis. Traveling a lot in November, so I know if I don't do it now, I might have a hell of a time getting it winterized at a later date, even though there will probably be some good driving days still to come.

Plus, my winter beater is a Golf R, and it's a blast on ice and snow!
Old 10-30-2018 | 11:08 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I wish that threads could be related entirely to the cars and not involve politics since all it does is cause hate & discontent But since someone else started it, if someone really thinks that pumping pollution into the atmosphere does not cause some sort of negative reaction they probably should not be allowed to drive in any type of weather since stupid and driving don't mix.

Anyway, when I lived up north I would not drive my sports cars if it got into the 30s since the tires never seemed to get a chance to warm up but I do remember times my wife and I would bundle up and take a Viper for a drive with the top off, or down, when it was that cold...in hindsight that was stupid!
+1
Old 10-31-2018 | 01:50 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

As stated, leave politics at the door, labeling people as "dems" or "reps" w/o knowing squat about them is just an assumption.

I have my own formed opinions about climate change/global warming but I'd rather discuss cars and relish the fact that I don't have to deal with minus Fahrenheit anything, but then, hurricanes here are another issue.

Waiting for my C4S.
Old 10-31-2018 | 02:19 AM
eastsideguy75
Instructor

Originally Posted by koala
I can't bring myself to subject this car to winter driving conditions. I want to keep it for a long time. If I viewed it as a disposable car, I'd just slap some winter tires on and away I'd go. I can't see myself wanting to swap this car for anything else as there is nothing new that Porsche makes that fits the bill for me.

I'm hibernating the car tomorrow actually. It's just now to the point where early-morning temps here in Calgary are around 0C/32F, so it's too cold to be driving (safely) on the summer tires on a regular basis. Traveling a lot in November, so I know if I don't do it now, I might have a hell of a time getting it winterized at a later date, even though there will probably be some good driving days still to come.

Plus, my winter beater is a Golf R, and it's a blast on ice and snow!
What is the problem with driving the car in winter conditions (assuming winter tires). Why would it be ok only if it were a disposable car?
Old 10-31-2018 | 03:29 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eastsideguy75
What is the problem with driving the car in winter conditions (assuming winter tires). Why would it be ok only if it were a disposable car?
Corrosion.

Then again, I don’t see a 991 rotting out, more just the typical corrosion related repair issues you would see with any car, albeit perhaps a bit worse because the mechanicals are so close to the ground.

No salt, no snow, appropriate tires, no reason not to drive.
Old 10-31-2018 | 06:13 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

spider??? Nothing to take Guzzly, we all have opinions and we'll be long gone when we know what is true and what is not. Read what I said: Put your mouth near one of your tail pipes and take a deep breath and tell me what I said was not true. I don't litter, I recycle and I only posted what I did in response to someone introducing politics into what should have been only a car-related question.

And no more posts from me in this thread so don't waste your time.

Lighten up there Francis.
Old 10-31-2018 | 07:31 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 10-31-2018 | 07:35 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by evilfij
No salt, no snow, appropriate tires, no reason not to drive.
Exactly.
The following users liked this post:
jan86 (11-09-2023)
Old 10-31-2018 | 07:58 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

It's 50's and 40's here now. I need a good day for a wash and then undercover it goes as we drop into the 30's.
Building a home in Florida. May move it there next year. No more of this foolishness.
Old 10-31-2018 | 12:19 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

It is interesting to read this thread as there should not be any reason to drive in the cold in the winter assuming proper tires and possibly changing oil viscosity (which I did not see any discussion about). Being a former Northern European and at times reading the local Porsche Board in Finland, there the discussion is all about the tires, studs usage, and oil as well as block heaters etc. as many may not have garages even in affluent areas. Most will plug in the car for the night in a car port. Also, most do not have 2 or 3 cars (or more) as is not uncommon here and the Porsche may be the only car (or maybe the second one) necessitating driving in the winter. I believe there are also some more sophisticated devices to keep both the car and the interior warm in Europe - maybe some of the European Rennlisters could chime in. Obviously the salt, sand (if used) and other road melting chemicals are a concern to many, but with frequent washes it should not be that big of a deal due to all the protection that the cars have from the factory with the exception maybe for those who are serious Concourse show car owners and hobbyists, But for those who have the car to drive and enjoy year around - being prepared and having the car prepped properly for winter driving is a blast. I drove both my 1999 Boxster and then my 2011 911 4S in the winter with snow tires for over 15 year period in Michigan and then in Iowa. (Full disclosure - I have not yet purchased snow tired for my Targa 4S so I may not drive it in the winter as I did drive my previous two Porsches especially as we also have a BMW X3 with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter).
Old 10-31-2018 | 12:33 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eastsideguy75
Yup, as stated above, corrosion. You should see what the undercarriage of a vehicle looks like after one winter driving season.

​​​​​
Old 10-31-2018 | 01:50 PM
KM1959
Racer

I went to college in upstate New York where the temps would be below zero for weeks. One day when the temp was about -35 F, we piled into my roommate's Dodge Omni and his vinyl seats cracked. Then, about 10 minutes later, he braked hard to avoid a drunken student falling off the sidewalk. One of his Pioneer surface mount speakers broke thru the rear shelf and became a tethered projectile. I'm sure his engine oil's molasses consistency was doing a great job protecting his engine too. I moved to California the first chance I got.
Old 10-31-2018 | 01:58 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

...but I do remember times my wife and I would bundle up and take a Viper for a drive with the top off.....
I can't believe nobody took that bait. What is Rennlist coming to?

I used to love taking the convertible out in the winter with the roof down, heated seats on and the heater on max. Great fun!

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for your 911?