Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold for your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How cold is too cold for your 911?

For those of you in the Northern climes that drive your 911 through the winter, what is your temperature cut off for when you leave the car in the garage and switch to something else? For instance, I live in an area that it can get to -50F in the winter (full disclosure, with climate change it hasn't hit there in a while) and folks have block heaters, oil pan heaters, and battery blankets in their vehicles, and plug their cars in when parked outside for any length of time so they will start. There is no way I would ever drive my TTS in this kind of weather, but it got me to thinking on how low is too low for the folks that do drive their 911's through the winter.

-TJ
Old 10-30-2018, 06:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

The turbos will make great power in the frigid weather.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:09 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol! Climate change previously “global warming” and even before that “global cooling” and the dems surely tried another name before that. Lol. Anyhow 911’s love the cold!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:26 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I wish that threads could be related entirely to the cars and not involve politics since all it does is cause hate & discontent But since someone else started it, if someone really thinks that pumping pollution into the atmosphere does not cause some sort of negative reaction they probably should not be allowed to drive in any type of weather since stupid and driving don't mix.

Anyway, when I lived up north I would not drive my sports cars if it got into the 30s since the tires never seemed to get a chance to warm up but I do remember times my wife and I would bundle up and take a Viper for a drive with the top off, or down, when it was that cold...in hindsight that was stupid!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I wish that threads could be related entirely to the cars and not involve politics since all it does is cause hate & discontent But since someone else started it, if someone really thinks that pumping pollution into the atmosphere does not cause some sort of negative reaction they probably should not be allowed to drive in any type of weather since stupid and driving don't mix.

Anyway, when I lived up north I would not drive my sports cars if it got into the 30s since the tires never seemed to get a chance to warm up but I do remember times my wife and I would bundle up and take a Viper for a drive with the top off, or down, when it was that cold...in hindsight that was stupid!
lol! Yes the OP did start it. Bob I bet you drive and use electricity just like I do but you are high and mighty on the moral high ground because you believe in a hoax but someone that isn’t in your cult is the bad guy even though you live you life the same as everyone else. If you truly are arrogant enough to believe we can change the climate of a planet that’s been here for 4 1/2 billion years then why are you driving a freaking Porsche 911?!! Hypocrisy is astounding! You’re the good guy though right? Lol
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

The ozone hole in Antarctica has healed up.. It's all good. Bypass pipes FTW
Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

If I hadn’t a fixed date to store my car, I would still be driving it until the first snowfall that results in salted roads.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

We got caught up in one of those polar vortexes last year in Vermont. I think it was in the negative thirties; it was a day to remember because Killington was closed due to the cold. 991 had no issues.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:59 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 487 Posts

IBTM
Old 10-30-2018, 08:07 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
We got caught up in one of those polar vortexes last year in Vermont. I think it was in the negative thirties;
I've driven in these temps many times without any issues whatsoever.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't see why the cold is an issue at all. If the engine turns over and starts, it's not too cold. However, it might take a while before I'd go full throttle.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrod

lol! Yes the OP did start it. Bob I bet you drive and use electricity just like I do but you are high and mighty on the moral high ground because you believe in a hoax but someone that isn’t in your cult is the bad guy even though you live you life the same as everyone else. If you truly are arrogant enough to believe we can change the climate of a planet that’s been here for 4 1/2 billion years then why are you driving a freaking Porsche 911?!! Hypocrisy is astounding! You’re the good guy though right? Lol
ABSOLUTELY Jrod.....my man!! 100%

You gonna take that spider ahh I mean Bob Z.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrod

because you believe in a hoax
Hoax???
WOW!
just
WOW!

Regarding the OP question.
I think it's more a matter of using appropriate tyres for the conditions.
unlikely that even sub-zero temps will affect engine / chassis / body.
Have you seen the articles of the car manufactures testing in arctic circle?????

Cheers

Craig

Cheers

Craig
Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgfen
Hoax???
WOW!
just
WOW!

Cheers

Craig
just kiding bro! Sheesh

Just out of curiosity what ended all the previous ice ages when men as smart as you weren’t around and why did they happen again? The earths natural cycles? Heck if I know! What are you doing aside from driving six figure cars around to fix the problem? I’m just goofin I’m all in on too like yer boy owl gore. Hoot. Let’s forget about this and dress up like cobra commander and hit folks upside the head with various stuff because they don’t believe ME I mean US.

Seriously intelligent folks 911’s are just fine in the cold or hot no matter how much we adjust the earths thermostat. The one thing I have found out is put on some winter tires.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg

ABSOLUTELY Jrod.....my man!! 100%

You gonna take that spider ahh I mean Bob Z.
spider??? Nothing to take Guzzly, we all have opinions and we'll be long gone when we know what is true and what is not. Read what I said: Put your mouth near one of your tail pipes and take a deep breath and tell me what I said was not true. I don't litter, I recycle and I only posted what I did in response to someone introducing politics into what should have been only a car-related question.

And no more posts from me in this thread so don't waste your time.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold for your 911?