911 targa popularity

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewylewis
I have 2017 Fashion Grey Targa GTS and it is such a great car. I had a C4s coupe and loved it but I agree with others that this is the coolest looking model and the PTS combo gets A lot of compliments. I have been offered a few GT3T but my kids won't let me replace the Targa nor can I find a logical reason to. Targa for the win!!!!
There is an Irish Green 991 Targa that pops up in photos on Rennlist from time to time. I don't know who owns it. I think it's one of the best looking 911s that I've ever seen.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
And you must own a Coupe since in no way does a Targa "suck" in any way.
haha I love how dudes on this board hate on the Targa because of several extra pounds up high due to the top. Most drivers will NEVER be able to tell the difference. And in a few years it won't even matter. When's the last time you heard someone critiquing a 1969 911S Targa for being 'slow' compared to an equivalent coupe?

The Targa is absolutely gorgeous. Period.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:57 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine isnt Irish Green, Its British Racing Green and its sucks big time. 533hp of Cobb Tuned, air sucking goodness...

Trying to post a pic but, the feature isnt working

Last edited by PTS-BRG; 10-25-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

And you must own a Coupe since in no way does a Targa "suck" in any way.
It is not about me, most 911's sold are coupes, they are just simply more in demand. I am not arguing with the beauty and fun of open top Targa even though that is all subjective. However facts remain that a coupe is dynamically a better car. It simply has more of the attributes of a sports car, stiffer and lighter which means better handling, braking , acceleration and cornering. I don't think any sane person would argue with that. Losing structural rigidity and adding weight is never a plus but I can appreciate the allure of Targa or Cab if that is what the owner is looking for.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:33 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
It is not about me, most 911's sold are coupes, they are just simply more in demand. I am not arguing with the beauty and fun of open top Targa even though that is all subjective. However facts remain that a coupe is dynamically a better car. It simply has more of the attributes of a sports car, stiffer and lighter which means better handling, braking , acceleration and cornering. I don't think any sane person would argue with that. Losing structural rigidity and adding weight is never a plus but I can appreciate the allure of Targa or Cab if that is what the owner is looking for.

hmmm. The reason why most 911s sold are coupes is because they make more of them, period! Go ask your local dealership to get an allocation for a targa, and when he says, "no", ask for a coupe. odds are that he can find you a coupe build over a targa any day of the week.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by JAM2
hmmm. The reason why most 911s sold are coupes is because they make more of them, period! Go ask your local dealership to get an allocation for a targa, and when he says, "no", ask for a coupe. odds are that he can find you a coupe build over a targa any day of the week.
Nope, there is more allocation for coupe because more buy coupe. I have seen Targa sitting on dealership show room for weeks. If there was such a high demand above and beyond the supply you would see ADM's and upcharge from stealers like the GT variants. Targa is basically a niche market, less demand, less supply. I have not seen a post on this forum with people trying to get a Targa and not be able to. You may miss the boat if you look for one at the end of production but generally can get one if you want one. No ADM and no price increase over list in used market as we see with GT and RS models and they make and sell a lot more GT and RS than Targa.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Coupes are the least expensive entry into the model, hence the higher production and higher demand. Its just like stainless Rolex or Patek Philippe watches. Many people want the brand name so they buy the least expensive option to get in the door. In this case, the lease expensive 911 is the coupe.. You cant argue with that can you?

As far as handling, braking, acceleration, etc... The reviewers have tested them all and the differences are beyond negligible. 100th of seconds different. As far as the handling and weight, Porsche beefs up the suspension and springs to compensate for the weight, so again the differences are negligible.

"I have not seen a post on this forum with people trying to get a Targa and not be able to."

Then you haven't read many posts. Allocations for Targa's are the most difficult (apart from the GT cars) and every dealer in the country will tell you the same.
If you see 1 targa sitting on a dealer floor then you will see 5 coupes sitting there too.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the GTS Targa is a great looking vehicle. When I ordered my GTS coupe, I could have had a Targa as that was the only GTS allocation they had available. The dealer actually grudgingly traded that allocation for a coupe allocation for me. As nice as it looked, it just didn't make any sense for me. It was just a heavy, complex system that I would never use. I feel only a lunatic buys a 911, and paying $20K more for something I wouldn't use just would have made me a bigger lunatic.

Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 10-25-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Targas are gorgeous and capable, and more than adequate for most people and purposes. But their glass and mechanical gear add hundreds of pounds. Anyone who can't feel the effects of that need not concern themselves with the performance difference compared to a coupe.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Rezus
Racer

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Coupes are the least expensive entry into the model, hence the higher production and higher demand. Its just like stainless Rolex or Patek Philippe watches. Many people want the brand name so they buy the least expensive option to get in the door. In this case, the lease expensive 911 is the coupe.. You cant argue with that can you?

As far as handling, braking, acceleration, etc... The reviewers have tested them all and the differences are beyond negligible. 100th of seconds different. As far as the handling and weight, Porsche beefs up the suspension and springs to compensate for the weight, so again the differences are negligible.

"I have not seen a post on this forum with people trying to get a Targa and not be able to."

Then you haven't read many posts. Allocations for Targa's are the most difficult (apart from the GT cars) and every dealer in the country will tell you the same.
If you see 1 targa sitting on a dealer floor then you will see 5 coupes sitting there too.
Interesting argument, as a Targa 4S costs the same as Cab 4S and nobody is saying a Cab is such a special car. Both are 12K more than equivalent coupe a delta that has always existed. In this market of 100+K, i doubt many buy either due to cost, someone looking for cab or targa is not interested in coupe or vis versa. People may try to save money bu buying a base model carrera vs S or GTS but going to cab or targa is just a whole different experience.
In terms of supply, I definitely agree that there is less targa and also less cab than coupe but there is not a big mismatch between supply and demand, hence no mark up, right?
Even though GT3 and RS are produced in larger numbers than Targa the demand is even higher than supply hence the ADM. So a low supply does not mean there is high demand.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewylewis
I have 2017 Fashion Grey Targa GTS and it is such a great car. I had a C4s coupe and loved it but I agree with others that this is the coolest looking model and the PTS combo gets A lot of compliments. I have been offered a few GT3T but my kids won't let me replace the Targa nor can I find a logical reason to. Targa for the win!!!!
Bummer, I thiught I might have the only 2017 Fashion Grey Targa GTS. Hopefully a few of my other options different from yours! Either way, it is my opinion this car is the best all around 911 and fits my needs perfectly with 2 small children and wife vs. a GT3 (which is my other favorite). If I could have both I would!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

So because I like and bought a Targa I am stupid, a lunatic and will not be driving a real sports car but an over weight wanna be when t arrives next month - and I thought the T owners got a lot of grief! Driving a Coupe to me is like being in a coffin and I am getting cremated so I want no part in one - how about that?!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:36 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

The only weight problem in my Targa is in the Driver's seat
Old 10-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

So because I like and bought a Targa I am stupid, a lunatic and will not be driving a real sports car but an over weight wanna be when t arrives next month - and I thought the T owners got a lot of grief! Driving a Coupe to me is like being in a coffin and I am getting cremated so I want no part in one - how about that?!

I assume you think I called you a lunatic for buying a Targa, which wasn't my intent. I meant anyone buying a 911 was a lunatic, and have edited my post to make it more clear.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Rezus
Racer

Bob, why so sensitive? It is a gorgeous and fantastic car, nothing wrong with it at all. As long as that is what you wanted there is nothing wrong with the purchase. I also feel a cab is a great experience in its own way, and I would love to add one. It is just not for everyone and the point was the low production number is partly due to its niche limited market.

Quick Reply: 911 targa popularity