Sponsored by:

911 targa popularity

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 PM
Cazten
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 911 targa popularity

I’m looking for a CPO 911 targa and it’s pretty difficult to find cars. Was this a really unpopular option? Any major issues?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 AM
vitabrew
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you last year.
No issues with the Targa that I ever heard of. They seem to be just as reliable as the rest of the line up.
I believe they were made in smaller quantities and it's also possible that Targa owners are holding onto their cars.
I plan on holding onto mine for a long time.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:20 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazten
I’m looking for a CPO 911 targa and it’s pretty difficult to find cars. Was this a really unpopular option? Any major issues?
It's just we all love ours so much that none of us will trade in.

Last edited by shammerman; 10-23-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Many believe the Targa is the best looking 911, including me. They are harder to find than any other model and originally I was looking for a pre-owned Targa but could not find one that was close to what I wanted in regards to colors/options. I wound up ordering a Targa GTS and it is supposed to arrive next month. Here is a site that is pretty good for searching for one but it only searches for manual cars so adjust the criteria as needed: https://www.carstory.com/cars/make-p...mission=manual
Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Love my Targa GTS too! The 991 Targa is my favorite 911 format. I custom ordered mine, got it about 18 months ago, and it makes me smile every time I see it and drive it. There's always something newer and [theoretically] better right around the corner so I'll never say never, but for now my plan is to keep this car for a while. It just checks every box for me.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

I think the Targa is awesome. In fact, my dog is named Targa. That said, I think that most people tend to fall into the cabriolet camp or the coupe camp. The couple people typically feel that the couple is the best looking 911, and they like the stiffness of the body. The cabriolet people feel that a proper sports car is one that can be driven with the top down. I think people who fall in either of these camps feel that the Targa doesn't really give you the benefits of the coupe, but it doesn't really give you all the benefits of the cabriolet. It straddles the line between the two choices. As a result, Porsche simply doesn't make or sell as many Targas as the other variants. If you don't fall into either of these camps, then the targa makes perfect sense. It's gorgeous (especially in 991 form), and it gives a much more open experience than a sunroof. It's a really cool option. I don't think it will ever appeal to the masses, and that makes it even more special for those who choose the Targa.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A while back, someone posted the breakdown on models sold and the Targa looked like it was right up there with the other models. This makes me think that Targas, especially GTS Targas are being kept and not as readily available as the other models on the used market. I know Its my favorite of the ones I've owned so far and I definitely intend to keep it a long time.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goldduster
A while back, someone posted the breakdown on models sold and the Targa looked like it was right up there with the other models. This makes me think that Targas, especially GTS Targas are being kept and not as readily available as the other models on the used market. I know Its my favorite of the ones I've owned so far and I definitely intend to keep it a long time.
And when they do come up for sale their prices appear to be higher than other models, both for pre-owned cars and new ones, which don't sit on the lot very long.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by goldduster
Here is that thread.... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1100...it-thread.html

Appears targa units less than half of the Cab units for the non Turbo (with a big T) cars.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think the Targa is awesome. In fact, my dog is named Targa. That said, I think that most people tend to fall into the cabriolet camp or the coupe camp. The couple people typically feel that the couple is the best looking 911, and they like the stiffness of the body. The cabriolet people feel that a proper sports car is one that can be driven with the top down. I think people who fall in either of these camps feel that the Targa doesn't really give you the benefits of the coupe, but it doesn't really give you all the benefits of the cabriolet. It straddles the line between the two choices. As a result, Porsche simply doesn't make or sell as many Targas as the other variants. If you don't fall into either of these camps, then the targa makes perfect sense. It's gorgeous (especially in 991 form), and it gives a much more open experience than a sunroof. It's a really cool option. I don't think it will ever appeal to the masses, and that makes it even more special for those who choose the Targa.
Well said.

I love the looks of the Targa. But I'd chose the cab over the Targa every day. Why?

1. Less weight. Targa available in AWD only
2. Less cost. See above
3. Not a full drop top experience.
4. Cannot operate top while moving.

#3 is the most subjective, IMO. But having driven both, there is a big difference in how they feel. And it's just my opinion.

But the Targa looks freaking sweet. Man does it look sweet.

Many of the Targas that I saw on dealer lots were pretty loaded up. Close to or over $150k. I think that the take rate was low unless you ordered one, meaning likely you're not giving it up any time soon.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Even though I don't have my Targa yet I have been buying things for it and one thing is the SmartTop device, which addresses #4 since it allows you to lower/raise the top when moving and from the fob. In regards to #1, very few will notice the small amount of extra weight and AWD is a plus for me. The cost for a Cab and Targa are the same for comparable models (4, 4S & GTS) so #2 is not correct. And finally, #3 - you are right, the Targa is a better experience.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Even though I don't have my Targa yet I have been buying things for it and one thing is the SmartTop device, which addresses #4 since it allows you to lower/raise the top when moving and from the fob. In regards to #1, very few will notice the small amount of extra weight and AWD is a plus for me. The cost for a Cab and Targa are the same for comparable models (4, 4S & GTS) so #2 is not correct. And finally, #3 - you are right, the Targa is a better experience.
I know I saw somebody post that an update to the SmartTop software now adds the ability to open and close while moving....as I recall up to 10 or 15 mph or so. My fear with that is that back window is fairly heavy, and if you have that sucker open while moving, it just seems to me you risk hitting some jarring road surface and tweaking those arms that hold the window section. I gotta believe alignment is critical for that to function properly. Just stating a fear. I have the SmartTop (and love it for the single button activation and fob functionality) but have yet to attempt to upgrade the software for the car moving functionality.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I won't make a habit of using it while moving but I remember on a test drive I was putting the top up at a stop light and when it turned Green I had to sit there and wait, but if I had the SmartTop I would drive away slowly until it completed, and then hammer it. Another nice thing about it is that it is a one-touch operation vice holding the switch the entire time.

I forgot to add that the Targa does not have a windstop like the Cab does, which to some looks silly (like me) and it blocks the rear seats.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts

The Targa is made in smaller quantities than the cabriolet.
It is more expensive than the cabriolet.
It has far superior visibility through the rear window than the Cabriolet.
It also has a "real" rear defroster so you can actually see in winter time out of the back.

Targa owners seem to hold on to their cars longer and there are fewer of them for resale, resulting in a higher resale value as well.
I chose it because I felt it was the BEST of all of the options. More open air than a coupe and more visibility than a Cabriolet.
It is also the heaviest if that concerns you as far as racing..
Old 10-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Why do people keep saying they cost more than Cabs? As I posted above they are the same cost for the comparable model: https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/

Quick Reply: 911 targa popularity