Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a person new to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:25 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 563 Likes on 380 Posts

Based on what you've said about your preferences, I'd recommend going with a slightly used Cayman. Personally, I prefer the mid-engine driving dynamics of the Cayman over the 911. For me, the only reason to get the 911 is you want big power which it sounds like you don't require. And make no mistake the base Cayman with 2.0L turbo engine is still plenty quick. Another bit of adjustment in driving a 911 is getting use to the wider rear, so you have to be a bit more mindful in turns. I say a used CPO car so that you don't eat that big first-year depreciation, especially if you only plan on keeping the car 2-3 years. If you said you wanted to keep the car for a decade, there's a better case to be made for buying new.

You know, the old joke about Jags is you have to own two because one is always in the shop Yeah, I know, that more related to 80's and older Jags and their quality actually improved during that time period Ford owned them. I think they are owned by Tata now? Anyway, I'd take the Cayman any day over the F-Type.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:38 AM
chucknorrisjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks again everyone. I test drove the 911 Carrera T today and really liked it. I imagine it's likely I'll like a base 911 too. I asked to drive the Cayman as well but the salesman kind of brushed me off and we were already 2.5 hours in, so I didn't push it. I'll go test drive the Cayman somewhere else this week. Assuming I like it as much as the 911, then I come back here and ask for your guys advice on specific CPO cars and their pricing. Point taken about not going too crazy with trying to pinpoint the exact spot on the depreciation curve to go for. True, I'll lose money no matter what so no point in penny pinching and drawing this process out. It sounds like everyone here basically agrees that I'll get decent value if I buy any CPO Cayman or 911, and to just come here to check that it's priced right before I pull the trigger. I don't care about options, other than that it's an auto transmission and it's black, grey, silver, or navy, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something that strikes my fancy.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:39 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 240 Posts

One very important detail the sales person left out. The cars you saw on the lot with the asking prices is not what they took them in on trade for. I plan on 1k per month no matter what I drive plus the entry costs such as dealer prep, tags, finance fee and I almost forgot the nitrogen fill fee. The one exception is my all aluminum trailer which has appreciated since I bought because of tariffs.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by chucknorrisjr
Ok, thanks again everyone. I test drove the 911 Carrera T today and really liked it. I imagine it's likely I'll like a base 911 too. I asked to drive the Cayman as well but the salesman kind of brushed me off and we were already 2.5 hours in, so I didn't push it. I'll go test drive the Cayman somewhere else this week. Assuming I like it as much as the 911, then I come back here and ask for your guys advice on specific CPO cars and their pricing. Point taken about not going too crazy with trying to pinpoint the exact spot on the depreciation curve to go for. True, I'll lose money no matter what so no point in penny pinching and drawing this process out. It sounds like everyone here basically agrees that I'll get decent value if I buy any CPO Cayman or 911, and to just come here to check that it's priced right before I pull the trigger. I don't care about options, other than that it's an auto transmission and it's black, grey, silver, or navy, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something that strikes my fancy.
Sounds solid to me. One point on PDK... If you go that route, don't bother opting for a higher priced T unless you like the interior and options. When you opt for the PDK in a T, it is basically exactly the same as a Base in engine and gearing. So, in the end, you're paying more for less. A T Tax, in this case.
If you're looking for a very compelling drive, and can find one, a 981 Cayman or Cayman S with PDK and X73 Sport Suspension option would be awesome. I test drove one once, and if I were a PDK guy, I'd still be driving it. I'm sure a newer 718 Cayman, similarly setup, would be even more so.

Good luck in this journey and welcome to the madness!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:15 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 553 Likes on 335 Posts

I ordered a '19 C4S, depreciation is always a factor, but I'm keeping mine for a minimum the length of the warranty and likely beyond. Bought it to enjoy, that was it, didn't want to concern myself with anything else and ordered the way I wanted, heavy on the mechanics, light on the cosmetics. Something to consider.

One thing that struck as off key w/ me was that the sales rep didn't want to allow the other model test drive, how long could it have taken? Seems counterproductive for sales.

Buying Porches is not done on a whim, take your time, cruise the forum, play the configurator game and ask what others have liked/not liked about the model(s) and equipment you have selected.

If you have multiple dealers near you, I certainly would go and visit them as well. If you post the area you reside in, you may be able to get a referral to a dealer that has been found to provide good sales and service from someone on the forum.

Enjoy the experience.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:24 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I vote buy on a whim.

If you want a base 2017 cayman CPO in a standard color, check out

www.nationalpreownedporsche.com

as it is a fairly common car and there are plenty to go around.

My dealer has a CPO 2017 C4 911 in Silver PDK with a $12Xk sticker for $94k, probably only lose $20k on that one over a few years. The first owner took the big hit. So I would not rule out 911 either.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Even though these cars depreciate, they hold value fairly well and they don't drop like rocks like BMW/Mercedes etc.

Jaguar is rebranded junk just like Maserati. Those names are simply marketing tools nowadays. I cringe at new Maseratis.. The Ghibli is the new 30k millionaire car.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Even though these cars depreciate, they hold value fairly well and they don't drop like rocks like BMW/Mercedes etc.

Jaguar is rebranded junk just like Maserati. Those names are simply marketing tools nowadays. I cringe at new Maseratis.. The Ghibli is the new 30k millionaire car.
Jags are much better than maseratis. Not Porsche level good, but not Maserati level bad.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

Jags are much better than maseratis. Not Porsche level good, but not Maserati level bad.
This is true. I can't entirely hate on the F-Type R because it's a really cool car. I've just seen many base sedan Jags driving around that simply lack that elegance they once had. Jaguar has long lost it's roots.

Can't believe they're still owned by Tata motors.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 732 Posts

First never buy a new or close to new car as an investment.
Second it looks like you can afford to choose the one you want so no need to start out with any training wheel versions, no disrespect meant to any models. I would go with a 911. Now which one really depends on you. Money aside it really depends on what you like to drive and how you will drive it. Rear wheel drive or All wheel drive.
The new 991.2 cars seem to be getting rave reviews. Solid 991 platform with new turbo platform. Quick, sure footed and with the ability to add rear wheel steering and many other goodies. GTS, TT, and TTS or GT3 cars can come later if the brand really appeals to you long term. If you have the $'s I would go new or the newest as there is no reason to sit in someone else's seat and not have the latest tech.
The 911 is the heart of the line up so start there. If you want to track all the time then consider a Cayman. The T is getting a lot of attention, for me it is a very interesting car but still a jazzed up base 911.
The best part of getting your 1st Porsche is the test driving experience. Drive as many models as you can. The right one will speak to you. Then you will be hooked.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Wow, a lot of salesman BS in this - bottom line, I think he WAY overestimates how Porsches keep their value. GT cars, sure, to some extent, but certainly not across the 911 range. I bought my first 991.1S, two years old, for $40k less than MSRP. I bought my second 991.1S, three years old, for $75k less than MSRP. These cars do depreciate!

My current Mercedes lease is running out, so I decided last week I'd get either a Cayman or a Jaguar F-Type. I went to both Porsche and Jaguar dealers today and did test drives. The Porsche salesman spent about 2.5 hours with me, filling me in on all this info about the brand I had no idea about. My notes are below and I was hoping since there are so many experts here, if anyone gets a chance to review them, if they could let me know if what I was told checks out?

-Porsche salesman says Jaguars depreciate much worse than Porsches. They still have electronics problems, so people lease them, then don't buy them out at the end cause they don't want to stay in Jaguar after their bad experience, so dealers then have to discount them further to sell them used. This is also why you can get much better leases on Jaguars than Porsches
Generally, yes, I would guess that Jaguars depreciate quicker than Porsches. For 911s, Jags much more likely depreciate quicker.

-Porsches do not lease well; it's better to own
I've known a lot of folks that lease 911s. While I prefer to own, it's a very personal decision.

-Macans, Cayennes, and base Caymans depreciate like normal cars. Base 911s depreciate better than normal cars. Special editions 911s can actually appreciate, allowing you to basically drive the car for free.
Again, generally speaking, perhaps. 911s depreciate quickly (the 1-2 year hit is enormous) but I think the depreciation curve flattens far, far sooner than other cars. Most special editions depreciate slower but it depends on what you mean by "special edition" - Porsche makes a ton of them. The black edition at the end of the 991.1 run? Nope, will depreciate like most other 911s. The 50th anniversary? Didn't depreciate for a long time but last year they started coming down below MSRP. GT cars - probably true for the time being (until we hit the next recession) - note that they make a LOT of GT3s. At some point the bubble may burst. I don't consider the "T" or the "GTS" to be special editions, but the GTS seems to hold its value better than base or S cars (although they most certainly do depreciate).

-While we were walking the lot, a guy pulled up in a Boxster Spyder 2011. My salesman said that car is still worth MSRP even after all these years.
LOL! They have held their value really well but they are NOT worth MSRP. A quick search for used ones confirmed this. Limited production car. Other Boxster and Caymans will have very normal depreciation.

-In terms of value and investment, salesman recommended not buying new Cayman or 911 like my original plan was. He said if you only want to drive the car for 2 years and then get rid of it, buy a preowned Cayman or 911. If you intend to hold for 5 years or more, he had 3 recommendations:
-1) Buy a Carrera T (dealer had 5 on the lot all for around $130k) and if you drive it normally, it will dip in value for the first 2 or so years. If after 2 years you put it in your garage and don't drive it much by year 5 it'll be back around MSRP. Said Porsche is only making them for 2018 and 2019, and while they haven't released the numbers, it will be less than a 1000 production run. The T hasn't been built since 1960s so this car is likely to be a collectors item.
-2) Buy a 2012 911 997 Turbo S with 14k miles which he had on the lot for $115k. MSRP was $165k. He said the value was bottoming out now, but going forward the car was going to appreciate
-3) Buy a 2018 911 991 GT3 for $203k with 8k miles with some sort of special green paint job. He said, this thing was a sure bet. He said it will never dip below MSRP.
I wouldn't buy any for an investment. Best value would be to buy a 2-3 year old preowned Cayman or preferably a 911, regardless of how long you hold it. But buying a Cayman or a 911 and flipping it in two years, you will take a bath on it unless you buy a GT car. If you are considering a $203k used GT3 versus a preowned Cayman...well, you are all over the place. Quite a difference in price and in the capability of the car. Never dip below MSRP? I wish I had that crystal ball.

-He said if you have the money, option 3 is the surest bet, followed by 2, then 1.
"Surest bet." I would never bet on resale - are you buying a new car or an investment? If an investment, go find yourself a nice 993 and call it a day!

The T will drop in value a LOT after two years, like any other Carrera, in my humble opinion. It's a great package and a great car but not limited production and there will be a T in the 992 series from what we have read on here. It will NEVER go back to MSRP, at least not for 20 years and then it's anyone's guess. In 5 years it will be worth significantly less than new.

BS on the '12 997 Turbo S not depreciating. Go look at prices for an '09, '10 Turbo S - that is the direction the prices are heading. Not up. They will bottom out at some point but I don't think we are there yet. Watch '09 prices (first year with PDK) to see if they continue to go lower.

-If I don't want to spend that kind of money, then he recommended a CPO 2016 911 991 with 3.4l engine and premium package with 5k miles for $85k
What is the build on this car? Original MSRP? Seems kind of high for a two year old base car (although miles are really low).

-The big risk factor on the above "investment" cars is that if you ever get in an accident, there goes all your collector premium, as collectors discount cars with accident histories by huge amounts.
Plus every mile you put on it over a certain number will cause the value to plummet. I buy cars to drive. YMMV.

-One way to mitigate this risk is the lease, drive the car as your daily, if you get in an accident, give the car back at term end, if not, then buy out the car, and wait for appreciation. He didn't necessarily recommend this, but said it's something some people do.
"Wait for the appreciation" - there is NO guarantee of this.

So after all this my head was spinning, as I had no idea how complex and involved the Porsche market is. I like getting good value though, so I'm willing to put some time into understanding this market, though I'm sure it takes years to really know it. After test driving the Jaguar F-Type, while I think it's a nice looking car, the Porsche drives, sounds, and looks better (more classic and refined), so I'm inclined to go with Porsche assuming I can find a good deal. My thoughts as of now, which are easily subject to change based on any input from the experts here is either do a 2 or 3 year old preowned Cayman or 911 or the Carrera T. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated!
The Jaguar F-Type is a very nice car but the 911 is an ICON. It is incredible to drive and is a timeless classic. I would highly suggest a 2 or 3 year old COP Cayman or 911 to get your feet wet - you will quickly figure out what you like and don't like. The Carrera T is a great car, too (as is the base 911). I wouldn't get caught up in the depreciation game too much - they all depreciate unless they are a GT car (which will be be priced with a premium to begin with and since we might be facing a bubble or another recession - I don't think there is a guarantee that their prices will hold forever (plus, they do make quite a few GT3s)). Test drive them and see what you like best!

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (08-31-2020)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Good luck! Lots of great advice in this thread, BTW.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Penn4S
First never buy a new or close to new car as an investment.
Second it looks like you can afford to choose the one you want so no need to start out with any training wheel versions, no disrespect meant to any models. I would go with a 911. Now which one really depends on you. Money aside it really depends on what you like to drive and how you will drive it. Rear wheel drive or All wheel drive.
The new 991.2 cars seem to be getting rave reviews. Solid 991 platform with new turbo platform. Quick, sure footed and with the ability to add rear wheel steering and many other goodies. GTS, TT, and TTS or GT3 cars can come later if the brand really appeals to you long term. If you have the $'s I would go new or the newest as there is no reason to sit in someone else's seat and not have the latest tech.
The 911 is the heart of the line up so start there. If you want to track all the time then consider a Cayman. The T is getting a lot of attention, for me it is a very interesting car but still a jazzed up base 911.
The best part of getting your 1st Porsche is the test driving experience. Drive as many models as you can. The right one will speak to you. Then you will be hooked.
^lot of good advice here!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by vodkag
+1 on both of those. There are P-cars that will retain value...but very rarely..... I understand we all want the least amount of depreciation.......but the truth is cars are a depreciating asset (with very few exceptions)

you should buy a car for pleasure.......not investment (and maybe the rate of depreciation to be a factor to be consider)

hope that helps
^this
Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Forget about all the options. A Porsche is a driver's car and my criteria is enjoy owning it and driving it. Sure treating it as a garage queen will retain its value more, but there are investments with better returns than owning cars.

Quick Reply: Question from a person new to Porsche