991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a person new to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018 | 10:21 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

I came from Jaguar F-Type V8S to Carrera and Jag was very dependable and see my thoughts below

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1067...ftype-v8s.html

Unless it is a special limited edition model I don’t buy that the car doesn’t depreciates
Old 10-11-2018 | 10:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by chucknorrisjr
My current Mercedes lease is running out, so I decided last week I'd get either a Cayman or a Jaguar F-Type. I went to both Porsche and Jaguar dealers today and did test drives. The Porsche salesman spent about 2.5 hours with me, filling me in on all this info about the brand I had no idea about. My notes are below and I was hoping since there are so many experts here, if anyone gets a chance to review them, if they could let me know if what I was told checks out?

-Porsche salesman says Jaguars depreciate much worse than Porsches. They still have electronics problems, so people lease them, then don't buy them out at the end cause they don't want to stay in Jaguar after their bad experience, so dealers then have to discount them further to sell them used. This is also why you can get much better leases on Jaguars than Porsches
-Porsches do not lease well; it's better to own
-Macans, Cayennes, and base Caymans depreciate like normal cars. Base 911s depreciate better than normal cars. Special editions 911s can actually appreciate, allowing you to basically drive the car for free.
-While we were walking the lot, a guy pulled up in a Boxster Spyder 2011. My salesman said that car is still worth MSRP even after all these years.
-In terms of value and investment, salesman recommended not buying new Cayman or 911 like my original plan was. He said if you only want to drive the car for 2 years and then get rid of it, buy a preowned Cayman or 911. If you intend to hold for 5 years or more, he had 3 recommendations:
-1) Buy a Carrera T (dealer had 5 on the lot all for around $130k) and if you drive it normally, it will dip in value for the first 2 or so years. If after 2 years you put it in your garage and don't drive it much by year 5 it'll be back around MSRP. Said Porsche is only making them for 2018 and 2019, and while they haven't released the numbers, it will be less than a 1000 production run. The T hasn't been built since 1960s so this car is likely to be a collectors item.
-2) Buy a 2012 911 997 Turbo S with 14k miles which he had on the lot for $115k. MSRP was $165k. He said the value was bottoming out now, but going forward the car was going to appreciate
-3) Buy a 2018 911 991 GT3 for $203k with 8k miles with some sort of special green paint job. He said, this thing was a sure bet. He said it will never dip below MSRP.
-He said if you have the money, option 3 is the surest bet, followed by 2, then 1.
-If I don't want to spend that kind of money, then he recommended a CPO 2016 911 991 with 3.4l engine and premium package with 5k miles for $85k
-The big risk factor on the above "investment" cars is that if you ever get in an accident, there goes all your collector premium, as collectors discount cars with accident histories by huge amounts.
-One way to mitigate this risk is the lease, drive the car as your daily, if you get in an accident, give the car back at term end, if not, then buy out the car, and wait for appreciation. He didn't necessarily recommend this, but said it's something some people do.

So after all this my head was spinning, as I had no idea how complex and involved the Porsche market is. I like getting good value though, so I'm willing to put some time into understanding this market, though I'm sure it takes years to really know it. After test driving the Jaguar F-Type, while I think it's a nice looking car, the Porsche drives, sounds, and looks better (more classic and refined), so I'm inclined to go with Porsche assuming I can find a good deal. My thoughts as of now, which are easily subject to change based on any input from the experts here is either do a 2 or 3 year old preowned Cayman or 911 or the Carrera T. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated!

There is so much bullshizat in what you were told. Seriously, people are just nuts.

You serious, was Champion Porsche? Sales guy named Shiraaz??
Old 10-11-2018 | 10:54 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Your plan seems solid. One thing to keep in mind is to look at the build sheets (they are linked on the nationalpreowned website) as once you drive off the lot with a new car, the value of a lot of options plummet. Since you are looking for a used CPO, you can get a more loaded car for less than new. Or maybe you are like me and prefer strippers. I know I saw on Nick Murray’s YouTube a cayman that had PDK as the only option.

Oh, and check out the 718 forum for people who actually know the 718.
Old 10-11-2018 | 11:05 PM
chucknorrisjr
Intermediate

Ok, here's the list I compiled. I like all of these cars, and would be happy in any of them, so I just want the best deal out of these. I have no idea what to offer the dealer though, so if anyone has opinions I'm all ears. Since these are all 718s, should I post this as a new thread in the 718 forum instead? Thanks again to everyone who's written so far. You guys have been super helpful.

2017 CPO Cayman Silver 12,719 miles, $53,981 asking, $67,250 MSRP, prod 10/28/16
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2086905

2017 CPO Cayman Silver 5,097 miles, $59,395 asking, $68,385 MSRP, prod 10/25/16
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2117327

2017 CPO Cayman Silver 6,555 miles, $59,700 asking, $75,670 MSRP, prod 4/12/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2271569

2018 CPO Cayman Black 7,887 miles, $59,900 asking, $66,200 MSRP, prod 11/3/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+1556699

2018 CPO Cayman Black 8,389 miles, $60,999 asking, $69,340 MSRP, prod 6/14/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2075501

2018 CPO Cayman Navy 7,467 miles, $61,950 asking, $68,350 MSRP, prod 11/20/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+1587139
Old 10-11-2018 | 11:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, here's the list I compiled. I like all of these cars, and would be happy in any of them, so I just want the best deal out of these. I have no idea what to offer the dealer though, so if anyone has opinions I'm all ears. Since these are all 718s, should I post this as a new thread in the 718 forum instead? Thanks again to everyone who's written so far. You guys have been super helpful.

2017 CPO Cayman Silver 12,719 miles, $53,981 asking, $67,250 MSRP, prod 10/28/16
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2086905

2017 CPO Cayman Silver 5,097 miles, $59,395 asking, $68,385 MSRP, prod 10/25/16
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2117327

2017 CPO Cayman Silver 6,555 miles, $59,700 asking, $75,670 MSRP, prod 4/12/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2271569

2018 CPO Cayman Black 7,887 miles, $59,900 asking, $66,200 MSRP, prod 11/3/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+1556699

2018 CPO Cayman Black 8,389 miles, $60,999 asking, $69,340 MSRP, prod 6/14/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+2075501

2018 CPO Cayman Navy 7,467 miles, $61,950 asking, $68,350 MSRP, prod 11/20/17
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...tallic+1587139
wrong board

try the Cayman board
Old 10-12-2018 | 12:03 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

.....but I think I'm confident that I want to go with the 718 Cayman.
-While the Cayman S was faster and had a nicer, more guttural engine sound than the regular Cayman, I enjoyed both cars about the same, so I'm fine with a Cayman vs a Cayman S. Also I wonder if I want to drive a Cayman S as a daily driver since it drives quite aggressively even in non sport mode.
-I also want value and the used Cayman I drove was in such great shape, that I forgot it was used, so I'm fine with used, so I'll go with a CPO per people's advice.
-So in summary, I've narrowed down my choice to a 718 (2017 or 2018) CPO Cayman in black, silver, or navy.

For next steps, what about the following plan?
1) Collect all the listings for 2017 or 2018 CPO Caymans from nationalpreownedporsche.com, autotrader.com, and autotempest.com (am I missing any other important sources? Are the latter two redundant since I'm only looking at CPO, so will they all be in nationalpreownedporsche.com and no need to look elsewhere?)
2) Choose 4 or 5 of the lowest price ones that have my preferred colors, wheels.
3) Post the links here and ask for people's opinions on what they are worth.
4) Email or call each dealer and make them offers a couple grand less than what they are worth to leave room for negotiation, and then go with whoever says yes or gives the best deal.

Your sincerity is impressive. Don't spend too much time on RL or you'll lose it. You'll also become cynical and want to buy only PTS (paint to sample) GT cars at MSRP... which you'll probably end up driving much less than you ever imagined... so you can preserve their value.

Not that I want to spend someone else's money, but you said or implied that money was not a big factor: Skip the base Cayman and find a well-spec'd Cayman S--you won't regret it. Remember, you have just begun your Porsche journey. Right now, all the cars seems fast and loud and powerful, etc. After you spend time in most of these cars, it's natural to get used to their characteristics...and want more. So do yourself a favor and start out with a Cayman S. You'll likely find a great one at price not much more than a base.

Also, try to invest the time now in figuring out which options are important to you. Right now you say you're relatively indifferent. Chances are you'll become more "different" over time and you'll wish you had such and such an option or feature. Watching the nationalpreownedporsche.com site like a hawk, daily, you'll find what you're looking for ... and then pounce. If you spend enough time, you'll also get a better sense of relative pricing. Dealers are all over the place on pricing and sooner or later, you'll find a car that speaks to you at a great price...that may not require any negotiation. And you'll know it when you see it.

Good luck ... and always keep in mind that the journey can be as fun as the destination. Enjoy!

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 10-12-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-12-2018 | 12:31 AM
chucknorrisjr
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip on the Cayman S. I'll compile a list of those too then. To have the most selection and then have dealers compete against each other, I should be looking at CPOs nationwide and not just in my local area right? Then they'll just ship the car to wherever I am for around $600 I assume? Since it's CPO, I assume it's fine to buy sight unseen (just based on the pics) and then just do a quick check upon delivery before it comes off the truck?
Old 10-12-2018 | 01:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Thanks for the tip on the Cayman S. I'll compile a list of those too then. To have the most selection and then have dealers compete against each other, I should be looking at CPOs nationwide and not just in my local area right? Then they'll just ship the car to wherever I am for around $600 I assume? Since it's CPO, I assume it's fine to buy sight unseen (just based on the pics) and then just do a quick check upon delivery before it comes off the truck?

Just for kicks, check out the Hot For Sale stickie thread on the top of the forum here. Can find some nice 991.1 Carrera S models for $70K-$80K.
Old 10-12-2018 | 01:17 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

According to you it is CHAMPION in Florida. So is there a green GT3 at Champion that is for sale with about 8K miles?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

The dealer was Champion Porsche in Florida. Wow, so somehow you know the exact green GT3 I'm talking about? Is that cause there's only one?

Anyway, great replies so far. Super helpful and direct, and makes my life much easier not having to worry about "investing" in a car.

So I like the Cayman but only the latest 718 refresh, so for best value, I'd assume I should go for a CPO 2017 model year instead of 2018? As for 911, I imagine model year 2015, 2016 would be best value in terms of the depreciation curve. If I'm only going to keep the car 2 or 3 years and then sell, since 911s have better depreciation curves, might I end up losing the same amount whether I go with a 2017 Cayman or a 2015/2016 911, in which case I should just buy a used 911?
Old 10-12-2018 | 01:43 AM
chucknorrisjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
According to you it is CHAMPION in Florida. So is there a green GT3 at Champion that is for sale with about 8K miles?

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Yup there is as of yesterday.
Old 10-12-2018 | 03:10 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Yes, include Cayman S;
Yes, focus on CPO cars anywhere in the US, though perhaps starting with those closest to you;
Depending upon how far a car has to be shipped, it's likely to cost much more than $600;
Don't rule out flying there and driving home--great way to become acquainted with a car;
Despite CPO, don't assume everything is A-OK--don't forsake an adequate PPI from a competent mechanic--better to learn and address issues BEFORE it gets on a truck.
Don't forget to drive the car and have fun.
Old 10-12-2018 | 07:08 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by evilfij
Let me guess the dealer: the Porsche exchange?

A T will never get back to MSRP, they will continue to build them in 992.

A 2012 turbo S still has about $70k in depreciation.

The green GT3 with “8000” miles for $208k was run hard and in snow and in dirt. Not that makes it a bad car, but it’s not a no lose proposition. A paint to sample GT3 from 2014/5 is now $140k or so, so figure you will be down $60k in three years.

A 2011 boxster spyder is not an MSRP car.

Buy a cayman/boxster, beat them up to 9-10% off and that is the least depreciation. Better yet, get a slightly used one.
I would say he’s on with Spyders 2012 is selling close to MSRP it was a 62k car and selling between 60k and 55k. 2016 Spyder some above 105k will go for high 90k’s. 2016’s about 800 came to the US just pre-sold mine for my incoming RS needed the garage space. I may regret selling down the road, but someone needs to enjoy it vs sitting in the garage.
Old 10-12-2018 | 09:13 AM
chucknorrisjr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Yes, include Cayman S;
Yes, focus on CPO cars anywhere in the US, though perhaps starting with those closest to you;
Depending upon how far a car has to be shipped, it's likely to cost much more than $600;
Don't rule out flying there and driving home--great way to become acquainted with a car;
Despite CPO, don't assume everything is A-OK--don't forsake an adequate PPI from a competent mechanic--better to learn and address issues BEFORE it gets on a truck.
Don't forget to drive the car and have fun.
Ok great, I'll look nationwide but focus on those dealers I can fly to and do a reasonable road trip home from. Will do a PPI pre purchase as well. I googled about it, and see that there are some people who received problem cars even with CPO and a PPI, where they had to battle with the dealer and PCNA to get remedy, so I guess there's always some risk even with CPO and PPI. I assume you think even with a PPI I should still stick to only CPO cars for ease of mind and given that this is my first Porsche?

I created a new thread here in the 718 forum to ask for help with pricing: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...l#post15354613

The 718 forum isn't nearly as active, so if I don't get many responses with estimates of value, is an alternative way to come up with bids for the 6 cars I identified on nationalpreownedporsche, to look up values on KBB and Edmunds, take the smaller number, subtract say $3k, and use that number to make an offer to the dealer? Would the best way to negotiate be to call the dealer main phone line, get assigned to a sales person, tell them I identified a car on nationalpreownedporsche and that I'm ready to buy, get their email address, and then make my offer by email so it's easier to negotiate with the 5 or 6 different dealers I'll be contacting?
Old 10-12-2018 | 10:27 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

check on planet9.com forums for more activity on Cayman/Boxster
Old 10-12-2018 | 10:43 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Yes, stick with CPO cars;
No (I wouldn't at least) limit range that's driveable--larger net, greater likelihood of finding your car sooner (though shipping will likely cost a lot more than $600 [i just shipped two cars to NYC area, one from CA and one from CO and BEST costs were $2k and $1.8k, respectively);
Re pricing, focus on Ask in relation to MSRP...once you get below 80% for a CPO car with a clean Carfax and no odd colors/options, then get the best deal you can...I would ignore cars with a ratio greater than 80%, unless you can get it comfortably below that level.

Enjoy the hunt!

Quick Reply: Question from a person new to Porsche