Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:09 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick update, just had a chance to record some sound with the headers. Some key differences -

- overall the car gained a lot more boom and deeper throaty sound
- its a lot less muffled compared to stock PSE
- a lot more spooling sound (not the turbo whistle you get from the sport cats, but the sound of the car sucking in air)
- overall very happy with the sound improvement... a lot louder and very different tone compared to stock based on my memory
- in person, with the windows down, some times it even surprises me how loud it can get

but you can be the judge! on the low speed driving part, no crazy accelerations. stayed under 50mph and 4k rev the whole time... which made the most difference IMO

its hard to capture sound in video vs real life... but for your comparison, i found this the most comparable cuz you can hear a lot of similar tones but just more of everything with the header upgrade
The following users liked this post:
gotigers (09-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:06 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

That sounds tremendous! I like the change in terms of growl, tone characteristics and volume - the only surprise is just how much more pronounced the intake noise has become. This is precisely the sort of clip I was searching for when researching header impact on sound.

Looking forward to our Vektor vs. Kline header head-to-head!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Sounds good. Sounds like what this car has needed from the beginning. Nice job to all.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:14 PM
basic666
Racer

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
That sounds tremendous! I like the change in terms of growl, tone characteristics and volume - the only surprise is just how much more pronounced the intake noise has become. This is precisely the sort of clip I was searching for when researching header impact on sound.

Looking forward to our Vektor vs. Kline header head-to-head!
Haha yes!! For everyone else, medtech and i live around the same area. He's looking to get a full set of inconel of kline headers + exhausts for his upcoming GTS

We are planning to have our cars dyno'd at the same shop on the same day with his car only having the header swap first. So stay tuned for that!

@Needsdecaf my thoughts exactly! and now seeing the 992s are coming with "upgraded headers", i think porsche really cheaped out on the 991.2 cars. Big missed opportunity in terms of performance and sound IMO.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
Haha yes!! For everyone else, medtech and i live around the same area. He's looking to get a full set of inconel of kline headers + exhausts for his upcoming GTS

We are planning to have our cars dyno'd at the same shop on the same day with his car only having the header swap first. So stay tuned for that!

@Needsdecaf my thoughts exactly! and now seeing the 992s are coming with "upgraded headers", i think porsche really cheaped out on the 991.2 cars. Big missed opportunity in terms of performance and sound IMO.
I don't think they cheaped out on the 991.2 cars. Certainly they put some good $ into upgrading the suspension over the 991.1. And Porsche seems to be a very iterative company. That's the first go at the turbo carrera engine, and I think overally they made a pretty good product. It's too quiet, but it's not as bad as some turbo engines are, TBH. Just quiet in comparison to it's predecessor. But the way it drives is very good, and that's much harder to fix than the sounds. Or maybe not much harder, lol.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,252 Likes on 662 Posts

Good Job. Now that Stage 2 COBB tune for Turbo and Turbo S has been released, COBB had previously stated ours would only be around 2 weeks after that.

What I would really like to see is....
Test a Car with Stage 1 and Then Stage 2 (Just software - Without the bolt ons)

Then bolt on the Headers and test Stage 2 with Headers. (Because headers are meant to have Stage 2 Tune. ) That way you should see really what the headers are doing.

I know it really doesn't matter what gave you the power - Stage 2 or Headers when you have both, but interesting to see. (COBB will probably say, Don't run stage 2 without exhaust mods like headers and or Sport cats.)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I don't think they cheaped out on the 991.2 cars. Certainly they put some good $ into upgrading the suspension over the 991.1. And Porsche seems to be a very iterative company. That's the first go at the turbo carrera engine, and I think overally they made a pretty good product. It's too quiet, but it's not as bad as some turbo engines are, TBH. Just quiet in comparison to it's predecessor. But the way it drives is very good, and that's much harder to fix than the sounds. Or maybe not much harder, lol.
Agree.
I traded a 991.1 C2S for this 991.2 C2S, so im pretty familiar with both. I didn't like the. 991.2 at first, being biased towards NA Porsches, but this one won me over.
Porsche did not cheap out on the 991.2. The TT 3.0 costs a lot more than the 3.8 NA motor. And the results are clearly worth the 3% weight penalty for street use, with 5% more Hp and a very broad 13% higher torque curve. Torque is everything for American street & highway use. My 991.2 was much faster than my 991.1 even b4 i put the X51 on it. Altho i have PDCC and RAS on this one, the handling even in the softest comfort mode with SC off is far superior to my 991.1 in Sport+ mode, with the same OEM Pirellis. And the brakes are clearly better. The intake sound is better. The exhaust note is not as good but is decent with the sunroof tilted up. I'm reading the exhaust note is much better with the exhaust mods. But I'm waiting for more empirical results b4 my decision on which exhaust stuff to buy. And whether you are looking at 7.6 or 7.1 lbs/Hp, this is muscle car territory - especially when you consider the higher grip the 991.2 tires have.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:54 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice job, been there done that on another car took two days and long nights for other reasons. The O2 sensors were stuck.

I read the entire thread nice discussion.

does anyone make headers which sit lower than Vektor? I am looking for minimum ground clearance.

because I really don’t care ... 1/2” really...try keeping an eye on the road and avoid going over stuff you should not be.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:55 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

My road legal track car had 2.5” clearance, never had any issue
Old 10-26-2018, 02:01 AM
basic666
Racer

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Nice job, been there done that on another car took two days and long nights for other reasons. The O2 sensors were stuck.

I read the entire thread nice discussion.

does anyone make headers which sit lower than Vektor? I am looking for minimum ground clearance.

because I really don’t care ... 1/2” really...try keeping an eye on the road and avoid going over stuff you should not be.

haha! Ya the job is actually pretty straight forward now after having gone through it once. With vektors suggestion, I got the car up the other day just to make sure everything is still tightened. I used the chance to take everything apart and applied anti seize to all the nuts and bolts. Took about two hours now with all the right tools in place!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:28 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

I used the chance to take everything apart and applied anti seize to all the nuts and bolts. Took about two hours now with all the right tools in place!
2 hours? Pro!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:58 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

2hrs is what I was quoted by a pro shop. Can be done easily.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I'll just leave these here

Collector envy?
Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

Could you take pics of the runner entrances and inside the collector?
Old 10-28-2018, 04:34 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Could you take pics of the runner entrances and inside the collector?

Entrance?

Quick Reply: Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review